Florida
✟325,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
+ Is there anything in the Bible to suggest God is not in favour of tattoos?

+ Do you have tattoos?

+ Would you consider getting one?

+ Would you have one removed, especially if it represents something you no longer agree with as a Christian?

It's prohibited in the old testament:

Lev 19:28

‘You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD.

There is general disagreement as to whether it is prohibited within Christianity. In old times people would cut their flesh as a sign of mourning for the dead. That's definitely prohibited. But it is unknown as to whether a tattoo is the same thing. Some people get tattoos as a monument of sorts to dead relatives such as "mom" to commemorate them.

I personally don't feel the need to get a tattoo. But I suppose if I had some sort of death's head or a Satanic symbol I would likely have it removed.

• Agree
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In Leviticus 19:28, tattoos were forbidden to Jews. However, with Acts 15 teaching us that the entire Law does not apply to Gentiles, and with tattoos in general not being mentioned negatively in the NT (yes, there's a mark of the beast in Revelation, but Revelation also talks about God's name being written in the same spot among God's people), I don't see a good Biblical case for restricting tattoos for Christians who do not have a Jewish background.

+ Do you have tattoos?
No.

I have thought about it, and haven't found anything that I would want permanently marked in my skin. If I got severely burned, I would consider reconstructive tattoos as an option, but that would depend on the burns.

+ Would you have one removed, especially if it represents something you no longer agree with as a Christian?
I recommend Christians that have such tattoos get them removed or covered with a better tattoo.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do you have tattoos?

No.

Would you consider getting one?

Never. I don't believe it adds anything to a woman's appearance. If I wanted a symbol I'd buy jewelry instead. I don't like them on men either.

~bella

Reactions: Torah Keeper
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

One of the commandments given to the Jewish people as part of the Torah God gave them forbade them from tattoos and scarification. This is also given in the same breath as a condemnation of cutting the edges of one's beard. In other words, it was--like many aspects of the Torah--a way of having a separate and distinct Jewish identity apart from the surrounding Canaanite peoples.

+ Do you have tattoos?

Yes, I have two.

I've thought about getting more ink.

If I had something that I truly regretted having, I'd probably get it covered up. But I don't have any such objectionable tattoos.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As an addendum, the Copts of Egypt have a long history of tattooing, especially marking themselves with a cross on the wrist. There is a practical purpose for this, it was a way to mark themselves visibly as Christians in a predominantly Muslim society. In fact, the oldest tattoo parlor in the world is a Coptic one in Jerusalem that has been in operation for over 700 years. Coptic tattooists do not view their work as merely artistic, but as ministerial--an act of service for the Christian community in Egypt, part of their long history as a marginalized people in their own native country.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Uriah S

Stand ready in prayer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2019
Scotland
✟292,505.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
Not aware of anything not already mentioned, though I think they're a product of inward-focussed vanity and certainly don't advance my walk with the Lord.

+ Do you have tattoos?
Yes, quite a few. I apprenticed as a tattoo artist.

Extremely unlikely to No. The Holy Spirit would have to tell me to get one.

If there was a cheap and easy way I'd get every single one taken off. I don't want cover ups as that's adding more ink, lasering is expensive and we'd be talking tens of thousands of dollar cost - there would be better use of that kind of money. I had a visible one lasered off, repented of the others individually. I never go out in short-sleeves.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private

+ Do you have tattoos?

Can you remove all of the things you had when you came to believe? Our lives are a road map. Some of those roads are visible.

Upvote 0

Herbivore Wolf

Jun 19, 2021
Norman
✟11,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

+ Do you have tattoos?

I haven't seen anything against tattoos in Scriptures that would concern a Christian today. Nothing in NT, as of yet.

I've never had a tattoo, but I have considered getting a few before. Usually if they meant something important, such as my rebirth as a Christian, or something pertaining to my purpose as a follower of Christ. Witnessing and displaying my religion can be very difficult for me at times, especially since I work at a job where most everyone openly mocks Christ if given the chance. Making the decision to openly display my faith at all times would help my fear, I think. Perhaps taking my nervousness and turning it around, using tattoos to tell others about my Christ without having to use my words (I'm not great with words) can help me gain the courage to witness better. Sure, it might stereotype me to others (oh, look. Another Christian. Well, we know what to expect there) but who cares? My actions will show them that we can't be predicted so quickly.
I think I might also use tattoos to commemorate people who made a huge impact on me throughout my life, whether they're dead or not. As an artist, visual representation of something is part of my core as a person, and to remember someone so permanently represents for me the eternal nature of such people's interactions with me, the changes in me that they created.

Christ is my life, my Saviour. Whatever I did before Him that defied Him should be repented of. But as I mentioned before, tattoos can be used as something of a witness. If I had a tattoo that defied Christ or represented something ugly, I think my approach would be one of two things. For anything that might offend my brethren to a great degree, I might remove it for their sake. For anything less than that, I would perhaps add a further, better tattoo around it, to demonstrate how I've changed and how the first mark is now moot, defeated. As I said, like a witness to how I've changed. I did agree with Ligurian; what you were before Christ doesn't always need to be covered up. Perhaps it would be better to use it.

• Winner
Reactions: Ligurian
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
I haven't seen anything against tattoos in Scriptures that would concern a Christian today. Nothing in NT, as of yet.

I've never had a tattoo, but I have considered getting a few before. Usually if they meant something important, such as my rebirth as a Christian, or something pertaining to my purpose as a follower of Christ. Witnessing and displaying my religion can be very difficult for me at times, especially since I work at a job where most everyone openly mocks Christ if given the chance. Making the decision to openly display my faith at all times would help my fear, I think. Perhaps taking my nervousness and turning it around, using tattoos to tell others about my Christ without having to use my words (I'm not great with words) can help me gain the courage to witness better. Sure, it might stereotype me to others (oh, look. Another Christian. Well, we know what to expect there) but who cares? My actions will show them that we can't be predicted so quickly.
I think I might also use tattoos to commemorate people who made a huge impact on me throughout my life, whether they're dead or not. As an artist, visual representation of something is part of my core as a person, and to remember someone so permanently represents for me the eternal nature of such people's interactions with me, the changes in me that they created.

Christ is my life, my Saviour. Whatever I did before Him that defied Him should be repented of. But as I mentioned before, tattoos can be used as something of a witness. If I had a tattoo that defied Christ or represented something ugly, I think my approach would be one of two things. For anything that might offend my brethren to a great degree, I might remove it for their sake. For anything less than that, I would perhaps add a further, better tattoo around it, to demonstrate how I've changed and how the first mark is now moot, defeated. As I said, like a witness to how I've changed. I did agree with Ligurian; what you were before Christ doesn't always need to be covered up. Perhaps it would be better to use it.

And I agree with Herbivore Wolf.
But when I was superstitious, I thought art was idolotry.

Idolotry defined by God

Esaias 44:14 He cuts wood out of the forest, which the Lord planted, even a pine tree, and the rain made it grow, 15 that it might be for men to burn: and having taken part of it he warms himself; yea, they burn part of it, and bake loaves thereon; and of the rest they make for themselves gods, and they worship them. 16 Half thereof he burns in the fire, and with half of it he bakes loaves on the coals; and having roasted flesh on it he eats, and is satisfied, and having warmed himself he says, I am comfortable, for I have warmed myself, and have seen the fire. 17 And the rest he makes a graven god, and worships, and prays, saying, Deliver me; for thou art my God.

Revelation 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce My servants to commit inappropriate contenteia, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. 21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am He which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
(inappropriate contenteia = harlotry, fornication, spiritual adultery, idolotry)

Esaias 21:9 and, behold, he comes riding in a chariot and pair: and he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen; and all her images and her idols have been crushed to the ground.

Revelation 9:20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: ... (Jeremiah 10:3-5)

Esaias 2:18-19 And they shall hide all idols made with hands, 19 having carried them into the caves, and into the clefts of the rocks, and into the caverns of the earth, for fear of the Lord, and by reason of the glory of His might, when He shall arise to strike terribly the earth.

Revelation 6:15-17 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; 16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of Him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: 17 For the great day of His wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums