Status
Not open for further replies.

Mea Culpa

Mar 18, 2004
✟35,521.00
Faith
Christian
Hi,

I am looking for information on Talking in tongues.

Someone was telling me that they speak in tongues, but they don't understand what they are saying. They said it was a prayer language between Christ and them. I said what is the point if you can't understand what you are saying? I just simply don't understand.

He is a good buddy of mine, and I have never done it before. I honestly don't know much about talking in tongues. But I am willing to learn and grow in my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, so this is why I am asking!! :)

Any info about it would be good. Oh, he also said that he was baptised in the spirit. I asked if he was baptised in the Spirit when he was saved and he said no. So I said I don't understand, because when I was born again I recieved the Holy Spirit.

See, I need help! Thanks again for the info!!

PAX

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Archangel

Sith Lord
Jun 3, 2004
Northern Ireland
✟1,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is another topic on this, but it is really clouded up with arguments, so I'll post this here and there.

We know that tongues are a gift to the church [1 Corinthians 12] and is part of a body of unique gifts. Before I go into a bit of detail let me stress that a lot of Christians believe the gift on tongues has ceased. This idea is taken from the passage below.

“Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”

[1 Corinthians 13:8-13]

This is basically saying that tongues, prophesy and knowledge will cease. Many believe that these have already ceased with the maturity of the church. This comes from the next bit, “when perfection comes” however this can be translated ‘maturity’.

I personally believe that tongues still are in existence, and ‘perfection’ is the perfection of the church which shall only take place when the church is present with her Lord in heaven. I believe this because Paul also says, “Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face” This can only be speaking of the glory of God in Christ. None of us have seen the full glory of Christ. We can see his glory in the bible, in our lives, in the church, but we have not seen the full visible glory, and this is our reward in heaven. This makes sense as we will not need prophecy in heaven cause God can speak to us face to face, we will not need knowledge because all mysteries shall be revealed. We will not need tongues in heaven, because we can praise God directly without the Spirit’s intervention [Romans 8:26-27]

So I believe tongues to still be in existence, and they shall be removed at the coming of Christ.

I want now to outline what tongues are.

Tongues can be seen as two things. We have tongues as in earthly languages, when the believer is gifted with the ability to speak a language they have never known for the purpose of speaking God’s word. We see this on the event of Pentecost in Acts 2, when the apostles speak in several languages to a crowd from many different parts of the world.

The second form is seen as an angelic language, a language of heaven, which Gods Holy Spirit speaks through the person, for the purpose of revealing mysteries [1 Cor. 14:4] This idea is taken from 1 Corinthians 13 where Paul talks about the language of angels.

(*I have addressed possible errors with the angelic language at the bottom)

Now, many who claim to speak in tongues will claim it is a private prayer language for their personal edification. Now I have a slight issue with this as it seems to me that Paul claims this should not be so.

Remember the roles of spiritual gifts, they are not for personal edification, but rather for the edification of the whole body:

“Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good”.

[1 Corinthians 12:7]

In 1 Corinthians 14 Paul outlines the uses for the gifts of prophecy and tongues.

Now for a short history snap! The church in Corinth, among its many problems, had become self absorbed. Many were speaking in tongues because it was seen as super spiritual. The rich were coming to services and getting drunk on wine and full of food during the Lords Supper while the poor went hungry [1 Corinthians 13:17-33] They then proceeded to go on to worship God, and many would be speaking in tongues trying to show their spiritual “maturity”. It must have been a chaotic scene as people competed with each other to see who could speak the greatest in tongues. The scene was chaos, that is why Paul addressed the church and told them only two or three to speak in a tongue, and outlined the importance of organized and orderly worship [1 Corinthians 14:26-40]

Tongues are to be interpreted at ALL times, so that the whole body may be edified. This is how Paul taught in 1 Corinthians 14. He didn’t say ban tongues, he did however say, control it. It must be organized and orderly. Nowadays we find too many scenes were people just speak in tongues without either someone with an interpretation gift nearby, or without praying for the interpretation. This simply shows the immaturity of such people, and their lack of knowledge of scripture.

Some also claim, “I can’t control it;” the Spirit just leads in me in tongues. To this I would ask, “What spirit?” because it doesn’t sound like the Holy Spirit. In response to prophecy Paul says, “The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.” [14:32-33] this applies to tongues also, because tongues were set in this context just a few lines before. Gifts can be controlled by the believer. A teacher can choose when to teach and not to teach. A healer can choose when to heal and not to heal. A so a tongue speaker can choose when to speak or not.

When a person with the gift of tongues is around ANY other person they are to not speak in tongues unless there is an interpretation, so that each person may be encouraged and the body strengthened [14:26;31]

Also, a whole congregation cannot speak in tongues. Tongues are given to specific people for their contribution to the church. It is not a sign that can be given for evidence of a Spirit filled life.

If God chooses you to have a gift of tongues then that his is choice, we cannot conjure him to do so.

My advice to anyone who is not sure of their gifts is to simply lead a Spirit filled life of love, and God will show you your gifts in time. Do not be amazed by people speaking in tongues, it doesn’t mean they are any more spiritual, and if anyone claims that it does make them more spiritual then that is a spirit of pride.

I hope this helps,

Peace Out!

* Possible problems with angelic tongue.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."
[1 Corinthians 13:1-2]

This is the only passage implying that tongues may be a form of angel speech. However lets examine what is going on here. I am not sure if Paul is saying it it possible to speak the language of angels. Look at what he says about prophecy. He says if I could fathom all mysteries and all knowledge. Now think about that. Th gift of prophecy does not give anyone all mysteries and all knowledge. I believe Paul is using an over exaggerated speech to put across his point. The same could be true for the angelic tongues. He could be saying that it isn;'t possible to speek angel talk but if it were, without love it would be nothing. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Bon

Truth Seeker
Jul 26, 2004
✟17,259.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Mea Culpa said:
He is a good buddy of mine, and I have never done it before. I honestly don't know much about talking in tongues. But I am willing to learn and grow in my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, so this is why I am asking!!

Lollard said:
Hi Mea. If I may if you truly want to know ore about this I would suggest going to the Spirit Filled Pentecostal forum as they are primarily the ones who seek after and or are given this gift.

Yahweh (God) does not give us His gifts just because we want them, or because we are interested in them or our friend has the gift that we would like.

Speaking in tongues is not a necessity for our salvation.

Tongues as a gift of the Spirit is especially prominent in I Corinthians 12 and 14. In I Corinthians 12 the phenomenon of tongues is listed with other gifts of the Spirit under the term gifts. As one of the several gifts given to believers as a manifestation of the Holy Spirit, tongues is intended, with the other gifts, to be exercised for the building up of the church and the mutual profit of its members.

In I Corinthians 14 Paul deals more specifically with the gift of tongues and its exercise in the church. In this chapter, the tongue is not an intelligible language, for it cannot be understood by the listeners. Therefore, a parallel to the gift of tongues is the gift of interpretation. The gift of tongues was used as a means of worship, thanksgiving and prayer.

The gift of tongues is to be exercised with restraint and in an orderly way.

The phenomenon of speaking in tongues described in the New Testament is not some psychological arousal of human emotions that results in strange sounds. This is a genuine work of the Holy Spirit."

Paul replies to questions and assertions put to him by the Corinthian church. As with other matters in Corinth, Paul is disturbed by the self-centeredness of those who prize and parade their piety while neglecting the love that builds up the community. … He suggests that undue preoccupation with tongues represents immaturity (I Cor. 13:11; 14:20) rather than maturity, and he limits the use of tongues in the church's assembly (I Cor. 14:27-28).

Does this gift still exist today? Not to the extent it once did, but surely, if there were a need, as there was at that Pentecost, Yahweh would fill the need. He did it then, He can do it again. There are people who do study languages and can read, write and speak in more than one tongue. They can certainly be used in the service of Yahweh. Sometimes a newcomer can come into a congregation that speaks and understands more easily in a language other than English. If someone in the congregation has the gift of knowing that language, he would certainly be a help in explaining Yahweh's ways to the newcomer. Or how about translating tapes to go to another country? Or translating booklets and articles? There is a large world out there - with many people yearning for Yahweh's truth.

What we need to do is to search ourselves individually. Find out exactly what your talents, abilities and gifts are. It may take some prayer before you have a sure answer. But once you figure it out, get to work and do the job Yahweh has for you. Don't try to be something you aren't, or try to take on a gift that has not been given to you.

Shalom from Bon

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Mea Culpa said:
Hi,

I am looking for information on Talking in tongues.

PAX
I recommend you purchase three books:

1. Commentary on 1 Corinthians by John MacArthur.
2. The Charismatics by John MacArthur.
3. Counterfeit Miracles by Warfield.

Amazon has them.

The first step in understanding the gift of tongues is to ascertain what specifically tongues are. The Greek word used is also translated languages and it is this that describes it best. It is the gift of languages. The book of Acts clearly establishes that biblical tongues were languages (Acts 2:6, 8, 11) and there is no solid Biblical reason to conclude that the tongues of Acts and Corinthians were in any way different (other than being a different foreign language)! So we can therefore, safely define the gift of tongues as: the supernatural ability to speak a foreign language, which one does not already know.

The second step in understanding the gift of tongues is to proceed teleologically. What is the end/purpose of the gift of tongues? Once we know this the decision becomes much easier. The Bible points solely to one purpose of tongues and that is to be a sign. John MacArthur, in his commentary upon 1 Corinthians, distinguishes 3 sign purposes of tongues: (1) a sign of cursing [related to Israel], (2) a sign of blessing [related to Gentiles], and (3) a sign of authority [related to the apostles].

To sum up the cessationist argument: the purpose of the gift of tongues has ceased and therefore the need for the gift has ceased and so we know therefore that the gift of tongues has ceased also. This is also backed up by 1 Corinthians 13:1, which shows that tongues were a temporary gift to which we can add the fact that in verse 9 of the same chapter we can see that tongues are not mentioned to cease when the perfect comes to which we can deduce that they will have ceased prior to that which is perfect, coming.

Upvote 0

Terral

Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
✟21,357.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Mea Culpa:

You wrote >> I am looking for information on Talking in tongues.

The signs and wonders associated with the Holy Spirit offering the ‘good news of the kingdom of God’ (Acts 8:12) ceased almost 2000 years ago. What did Paul say?

“Love never fails; but if {there are gifts of} prophecy, they will be done away; if {there are} tongues, they will cease; if {there is} knowledge, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.” 1Cor. 13:8-10.

The ‘perfect’ here represents the completed canonized Text of your New Testament. Tongues is listed among those partial things that would cease.

Many people have the wrong idea about this gift of tongues. The fact that tongues is not vain babbling is taught in your Bible. Peter’s entire discourse of Acts 2 was spoken in tongues. The key here is that all of these Jews heard in the language of their native tongue.

“And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language.” Acts 2:6.

"And how is it that we each hear {them} in our own language to which we were born?” Acts 2:8.

So, if your own language happens to be modern English, then that is exactly what you should hear in the presence of real Biblical ‘tongues.’ Vain babbling that you hear among the Pentecostals is just that. When you hear a message in English, and the German person next to you hears it in German, then you are in the presence of the real Biblical tongues.

Great signs and wonders are not part of this dispensation of God’s grace. Paul writes,

“For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he {already} sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it.” Rom. 8:24+25.

Remember that our ‘faith’ to believe the gospel is the gift of God, as it is written,

Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, {it is} the gift of God;not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. Eph. 2:8+9.

Rom 1:17 For in it {the} righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "BUT THE RIGHTEOUS {man} SHALL LIVE BY FAITH." Rom. 1:17.
And “we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace.” Rom. 5:2. How do you suppose that we can live by faith AND live among great signs and wonders? Therefore (and this is key), those who seek to add even a single work to the finished work of Christ on the cross never receive that most vital gift of faith. And that is why you see people desperately seeking signs, wonders and miracles. They must see and hear the physical evidence, because of their lack of faith.

God bless,

Terral

Upvote 0

Mea Culpa

Mar 18, 2004
✟35,521.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks everyone for your replys. I will go through them in more detail, and study this subject more.

All I know is I want more of Him. Honestly, talking in tongues sounds very odd to me. Wierd man. But, if it is of God i can't judge it. I don't understand it though!!

Thanks for your input, Any more would be cool too! :wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.