Take the Army's Spiritual Fitness Test?

diebroke

Mar 29, 2012
✟15,112.00
Faith
Atheist
Are there any Army personnel or vets here who participated in the Army's Spiritual Fitness Test and "remediation training"? What was your experience like?

Websites like Military Association for Atheists and Freethinkers and Rock Beyond Belief, as well as other sources like MSNBC and ChristianFighterPilot have been arguing about whether this program respects the separation of church and state, and whether it unfairly discriminates against people who don't believe in a Higher Power.

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I had to do some research on that test actually is because i really didn't know what it was (see, it's really not a huge deal)

It appears to be the GAT that Army people have to take. GLOBAL ASSESSMENT TOOL.

I have only taken it once, I do not remember being scrutinized for my beliefs and commanders cannot force you to do anything because of your scores unless you do something that warrants action like drunk driving, violence, etc... they can only recommend.

No binding drawbacks to the test as far as I can tell. It's just a way to evaluate, they can't force you to do remedial training or classes, etc.

Upvote 0

diebroke

Mar 29, 2012
✟15,112.00
Faith
Atheist
Thanks for responding, Birareos. I was looking at the videos of the remedial training on the freethoughtblog's "Rock Beyond Belief" page and listened to a few of them. It sounded like most of the testimonial videos from the training focused on the importance of having a divine Higher Power as a positive force in ones life, and I wonder if this is what some secular folks are finding objectionable.

Are there any other vets in this forum that have experience with the 'remedial training'--did you find it to be pretty balanced and neutral, like Briareos did?

Upvote 0