Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I picked up the Seekers of the Ashen Crown, the published adventure for 4th Edition Eberron a few weeks ago. I thought if anything was going to debunk the grognard claim that 4E is only good for dungeon crawl, an Eberron adventure would. After all, Eberron is a land of pulp intrigue, secret societies, mysterious benefactors!

I was somewhat let down when I scanned the adventure booklet and found it seemed to be a series of dungeon crawls in search of a multi-part mcguffin. There is opportunity for a seasoned DM to kick the pulpy aspects up a bit, but the adventure doesn't do much to assist a DM who's players want to deviate from the expected course of action. There is some cross continent travel, as you should expect from an Eberron adventure, but it leads to a dungeon every time.

I enjoy 4E, as a player. I haven't DM'd yet. I was hoping to relieve our DM and run some eberron for a while. But I'm 40 with a full time job, kids, etc. I need published adventures as I simply don't have time to craft my own stories anymore. I was hoping that this adventure would allow WOTC to showcase 4E in a less crawl oriented and more location or event driven mode, but this doesn't deliver.

Makes me wonder how Darksun, with it's focus on survival, be handled?