Jul 1, 2004
Lambsburg, VA
Visit site
✟10,964.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I apologize if this is a double post but I looked around a bit and didn't see anything on this specifically...

Q: What are some of the systematic theologies that you would recommend as essential to any Reformed library? I own quite a few already but I want to see which ones you guys would list.

Thanks in advance,
Lane

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Though not technically Reformed, Gill's Body of Divinity is the most thorough I have ever read. Abstract of Systematic Theology by J. P. Boyce is also very good.
From a Presbyterian perspective B. B. Warfield's works are good as well. Biblical Theology by Vos is worth having. Though not actually a systematic theology, Basic Bible Doctrine by Don Fortner is outstanding.

Upvote 0

xapis

Soli Deo gloria!
Jul 1, 2004
Lambsburg, VA
Visit site
✟10,964.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Calvin's Institutes is a given. Louis Berkhof's is essential to any Reformed library. And if Berkhof is to be believed, Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics belongs there as well (I haven't had the time to read Bavinck yet).

Thanks bro. I have all those on my shelf. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

xapis

Soli Deo gloria!
Jul 1, 2004
Lambsburg, VA
Visit site
✟10,964.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Though not technically Reformed, Gill's Body of Divinity is the most thorough I have ever read. Abstract of Systematic Theology by J. P. Boyce is also very good.
From a Presbyterian perspective B. B. Warfield's works are good as well. Biblical Theology by Vos is worth having. Though not actually a systematic theology, Basic Bible Doctrine by Don Fortner is outstanding.

I have the Vos' Biblical Theology. The Boyce book and some of Warfield's books are on my super-long amazon wish list!

What is the focus of Gill's Body of Divinity?

I don't know much about Fortner either. What's his background?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For some good Puritan theology, I recommend Thomas Watson's Body of Practical Divinity trilogy: A Body of Divinity, The Ten Commandments, and The Lord's Prayer. It's like a mix between systematic theology and a commentary on the WSC.

Reactions: xapis
Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have the Vos' Biblical Theology. The Boyce book and some of Warfield's books are on my super-long amazon wish list!

Thanks.
Of course Gill was a Baptist. Hre is a link to all his works:

http://www.pbministries.org/books/gill/gills_archive.htm

Don Fortner happens to be my pastor and also Baptist but still one of the best modern theologians who write in palin English for the common man. Here is a link to his page:
http://donfortner.com/

Upvote 0

BasiltheGreat

Mar 15, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
✟7,633.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Thanks.
Gill's focus: How to be a Hyper-Calvinist in 3 easy steps. ;)

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gill's focus: How to be a Hyper-Calvinist in 3 easy steps. ;)
Is this something you have read in Gill for yourself or something you heard someone else say? I have read quite a bit of Gill and find this accusation to be without foundation.

A post of this sort is a good way to start off on my bad side. You might find that there are a few here who like Gill as well.

Upvote 0

BasiltheGreat

Mar 15, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
✟7,633.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mlgurgw - how's the pipe treating you these days? I've been lax in my pipe smoking duties over this cold winter - need to break out the Peterson.

“That there are universal offers of grace and salvation made to all men, I utterly deny; nay I deny that they are made to any; no not to God’s elect; grace and salvation are provided for them in the everlasting covenant, procured for them by Christ, published and revealed in the gospel and applied by the spirit.” John Gill, Sermons and Tracts, Three Volumes (London: 1778)

One cannot deny the free offer of the gospel and escape being labeled as a Hyper-Calvinist.

That being said, the comment was made in good humor - I have not read much of Gill (except some of his commentaries), and am willing to be taken out back and schooled. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mlgurgw - how's the pipe treating you these days? I've been lax in my pipe smoking duties over this cold winter - need to break out the Peterson.
Smoking it as we speak.

You must know me from CGR.

“That there are universal offers of grace and salvation made to all men, I utterly deny; nay I deny that they are made to any; no not to God’s elect; grace and salvation are provided for them in the everlasting covenant, procured for them by Christ, published and revealed in the gospel and applied by the spirit.” John Gill, Sermons and Tracts, Three Volumes (London: 1778)
Context is key. Gill was a prolific preacher of the Gospel but did not believe, nor do I, that God offers salvation to all men. The words revealed in the Gospel in your quote speaks clearly that he believed the gospel was to be preached. Denying the free offer doesn't make you a Hyper-Calvinist. Denying that the Gospel is to be preached does. I was once a Hyper.

One cannot deny the free offer of the gospel and escape being labeled as a Hyper-Calvinist.

That being said, the comment was made in good humor - I have not read much of Gill (except some of his commentaries), and am willing to be taken out back and schooled. ;)
Wupped would be more to my liking.;)
I will take it in the humor you intended it and apologize for gettin my back up. :wave:

Upvote 0

xapis

Soli Deo gloria!
Jul 1, 2004
Lambsburg, VA
Visit site
✟10,964.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Label me as you wish but seeing the words "offer" and "Gospel" in the same sentence is a big red flag to me.

Pink articulates it well in The Sovereignty of God:

Concerning the character and contents of the Gospel the utmost confusion prevails today. The Gospel is not an "offer" to be bandied around by evangelical peddlers. The Gospel is no mere invitation but a proclamation, a proclamation concerning Christ; true whether men believe it or not. No man is asked to believe that Christ died for him in particular. The Gospel, in brief, is this: Christ died for sinners, you are a sinner, believe in Christ, and you shall be saved. In the Gospel God simply announces the terms upon which men may be saved (namely, repentance and faith) and, indiscriminately, all are commanded to fulfill them.

SOURCE: http://www.reformed.org/books/pink/index.html?mainframe=/books/pink/pink_sov_11.html

Upvote 0

xapis

Soli Deo gloria!
Jul 1, 2004
Lambsburg, VA
Visit site
✟10,964.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Calvin's Institutes
Bullinger's Decades
Turretin's Institutes of Elenctic Theology
Ames' Marrow of Theology
Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics

I've added the Bullinger & Ames works to my wish list. :thumbsup: ....have the others.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Charles Hodge: Systematic Theology

The Moody Handbook of Theology; By: Paul Enns

Manual of Theology; By: John L. Dagg

Systematic Theology; By: Robert L. Dabney

I have all these plus most of the ones mentioned beforehand. ;)

Just to name a few.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Calvin's Institutes is a given. Louis Berkhof's is essential to any Reformed library. And if Berkhof is to be believed, Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics belongs there as well (I haven't had the time to read Bavinck yet).

Bavinck is excellent:

1. http://www.monergismbooks.com/rdogma01.html
2. http://www.monergismbooks.com/rdogma02.html
3. http://www.amazon.com/Reformed-Dogm...2216874?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179588230&sr=8-2http://www.monergismbooks.com/rdogma02.html

Upvote 0