• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

swirling suicide thought

Natto

Oct 27, 2020
Taipei
✟26,125.00
Country
Taiwan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been having some suicidal thoughts or feelings swirling in my head lately. I didn't marry my girlfriend when I was twenty, so I didn't have kids. , now forties. No children, no marriage, I constantly questioned the value of my existence. Not having kids is probably the biggest reason why I question my purpose in life most of the time. Not very good. There will be no funeral services for next of kin. To make matters worse, I recently suffered from schizophrenia and other illnesses. I would hallucinate and have voices speaking to me. Thank God, schizophrenia can be cured through medication. I did attempt suicide on the high seas ,200 meters off the coast. I miraculously survived after hearing a supernatural voice speak to me, again I assumed it was a hallucination, an angelic voice spoke to me, taught me and reminded me of my time in the Navy, taught me How to swim and miraculously make it back to shore. I have been unemployed for several years. While I still had some savings, I felt like I was going to be a plane out of fuel sooner or later. My life was ultimately doomed. I think my biggest regret and fear is probably that I didn’t get married and have a few kids in the past. Children symbolize hope. I just don’t know how to stop these pessimistic views on life.

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been having some suicidal thoughts or feelings swirling in my head lately. I didn't marry my girlfriend when I was twenty, so I didn't have kids. , now forties. No children, no marriage, I constantly questioned the value of my existence. Not having kids is probably the biggest reason why I question my purpose in life most of the time. Not very good. There will be no funeral services for next of kin. To make matters worse, I recently suffered from schizophrenia and other illnesses. I would hallucinate and have voices speaking to me. Thank God, schizophrenia can be cured through medication. I did attempt suicide on the high seas ,200 meters off the coast. I miraculously survived after hearing a supernatural voice speak to me, again I assumed it was a hallucination, an angelic voice spoke to me, taught me and reminded me of my time in the Navy, taught me How to swim and miraculously make it back to shore. I have been unemployed for several years. While I still had some savings, I felt like I was going to be a plane out of fuel sooner or later. My life was ultimately doomed. I think my biggest regret and fear is probably that I didn’t get married and have a few kids in the past. Children symbolize hope. I just don’t know how to stop these pessimistic views on life.
If you trust God for all your days and believe that He is good no matter what happens to you, I think you can't go wrong. Consider this verse:
Mat 19:12
“For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by people; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who is able to accept this, let him accept it.
And Paul advocates that celibacy is a good thing:
1 Cor. 7:32 "But I want you to be free from concern. One who is unmarried is concerned about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord"

In my experience, reading, studying, and memorizing scripture gives power to overcome any problem, including depression. It likely won't happen overnight, so you need a long term vision for it.

Reactions: Natto
Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,960.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
1710070620430.png

七星潭(花蓮,台灣)
Seven Star Pond (Hualian Taiwan)

我是雙相情感障礙患者,理解瀕臨死亡的痛苦。亞洲的靈性黑暗增加了我的精神痛苦。信耶穌,一定要堅持下去。“長風破浪會有時,直掛雲帆濟滄海。”(李白,唐)
I am a bipolar disorder patient and understand the pain of dying. The spiritual darkness of Asia has increased my mental pain. Believe in Jesus, you must persevere.“ I will mount a long wind some day and break the heavy waves, and set my cloudy sail straight and bridge the deep, deep sea.”(Li Bai, Tang Dynasty)

Reactions: Paulus59
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm struggling with the same problem as the OP. There has been nothing that helped me.
Faith in Jesus is the only way out of a mental prison, IMO. The only way to increase faith is to study scripture and discover treasures hidden in it. In order to grow spiritually, we all need to follow the basic Christian disciplines: Fellowship with other Christians (sometimes we need extra counselling from an elder), Bible reading and memorization (we're in a spiritual war with evil, and the mind is the battleground), Public worship and prayer.

Can you let us know about your situation, and have you posted in the prayer request forum?

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Faith in Jesus is the only way out of a mental prison, IMO. The only way to increase faith is to study scripture and discover treasures hidden in it. In order to grow spiritually, we all need to follow the basic Christian disciplines: Fellowship with other Christians (sometimes we need extra counselling from an elder), Bible reading and memorization (we're in a spiritual war with evil, and the mind is the battleground), Public worship and prayer.

Can you let us know about your situation, and have you posted in the prayer request forum?
I'm dealing with this as well. I wonder like how can a Christian be a Christian but be weighed down by depression and stuff. Also im little wear of medication but I may utilize it.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm dealing with this as well. I wonder like how can a Christian be a Christian but be weighed down by depression and stuff. Also im little wear of medication but I may utilize it.
There are comforts and encouragements in the Bible for times of depression. Perhaps some of these might help:

IMO depression can be overcome by understanding the cause and battling it with positive thoughts about God and His mercy. I used to be depressed a lot when I was younger, but as my faith in God grew, I came out of it. Depression may be caused by trying to cope with emotional wounds, and the Bible says "by His wounds we are healed." I suggest that meditating on spiritual truths like this can help.

Sometimes drugs or supplements can help, but IMO should be a temporary measure, and only if the depression is extreme, and in that case should be administered under a doctor's care.

Upvote 0