Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Eph. 3:20 said:
...Sex in itself is not defiling...
Outside marriage, yes it is:
Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)

-- Radagast

Upvote 0

Lokisdottir

LokAce
Sep 26, 2004
✟16,769.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
GMRELIC said:
=If you use my tooth brush I'm going to throw it away, that also goes for my wife if you use my wife I am going to throw her away also

:eek:

Is your wife just a thing to be used and thrown away? Is she a possession?

If she was raped, would you "throw her away" then, as well?

That's a pretty troubling statement...

Upvote 0

sidhe

Seemly Unseelie
Sep 27, 2004
Couldharbour
✟27,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
fluffy_rainbow said:
1. Do you think swinging is acceptable?

Yes...but anyone who read my posts in the "Does inappropriate content Degrade Women" thread could have guessed that...

2. Even if both parties consent, would you consider it adultery?

Nope. If both parties consent, lay down ground rules, and stick to those rules, there's no reason it would be considered adultery.

3. If both parties consent, but only one spouse sleeps around is that "fair"?

Depends on the rules laid down by the couple. And, as someone said earlier, if only one member is nonmonogamous, that may not even be "swinging". I think we need a definition of terms.

4. Should a couple still indulge in "swinging" if they have children?

If it's being done responsibly, then yes.

5. Which avenues are the most appropriate, i.e., swinger parties, internet encounters, hooking up with mutual friends, etc.?

Again, it depends on the couple. Some like the anonymity of "swinger parties" or the internet, others might prefer to just be involved with friends and people they trust.

Upvote 0

Iron Sun 254

Insane Genius
Aug 23, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Visit site
✟20,473.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This subject came up on a recent episode of CSI. A large group of married couples in a neighborhood would have "swinging" parties. One of the agreements they all said they had made was "don't let the children know." Well in this fictional account they all knew and I guarantee you they'd figure it out. This is certainly not the only reason not to do it but if someone thinks their children aren't going to find out they're fooling themselves.

Upvote 0

HouseApe

Senior Veteran
Sep 30, 2004
Florida
✟3,485.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
fluffy_rainbow said:

Yes, but only for myself and attractive women. And only under the circumstance that nobody tells my wife. She'd kill me.

No. It would only be adultery if my wife did it.

Yes, as long as I am the one spouse.

Sure, as long as they don't find out. As long as mom doesn't know, it should work out ok.

5. Which avenues are the most appropriate, i.e., swinger parties, internet encounters, hooking up with mutual friends, etc.?

Any are fine with me. How do I get started?

Upvote 0

Nemo0213

Dec 17, 2004
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Radagast said:
Outside marriage, yes it is:
[QUOTE/] Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)

-- Radagast[/QUOTE]

Right on man!
Jesus also says that if you look at another woman with lust in your heart then you have already committed the sin of adultery. Should this even be a question asked by a chritian? In the book of Genesis God said that a man would leave his family to join his flesh with that of his wife. Paul also later says that a man's body belongs to his wife, and a woman's body belongs to her husband. They are supposed to submit to each other. The analogies of Christ and his Bride: and God and Israel coudl be used here. Christians are his bride because we have believed and called on his name linking ourselves to him. If we were to go and start practicing buddhism,hinduism, or any number of other religions we wouldn't be the bride of christ anymore. In fact he would deny us like what God did to the Israelites when they picked up false gods. (Unless we turn from these religions and enter back into his grace and love.) So the point I am trying to make is this: We,as Christians are the bride, Christ is the Groom, If we "Swing" spiritually then we are not Christians any more we have defiled the "marriage bed". So a husband and wife who Swing are defiling their marriage bed. So SWINGING IS WRONG!

P.S. I paraphrased the scriptures but if you want I can do the research and put up the verses.

Upvote 0

Eph. 3:20

Aug 19, 2004
Santa Clarita, Ca.
✟778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have yet to see a valid answer (or any answer) to this question...

You will have to show me what is the fundamental difference between a present day man that sleeps with another woman with his wifes approval and the OT saint that sleeps with his concubine, slave or prostitute all without condemnation or the slightest sign of displeasure from God.

Why is God displeased now? What changed fundamentally, with this act being practiced without condemnation, but after the Cross it is not accepted?

Don't throw verses at me......explain.

Eph.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
fluffy_rainbow said:

I don't know what you mean by acceptable. I would stop well short of unleashing my robotic armies of the night to crush those who engage in the practice, destroying everything they have ever loved or cared about, and eventually removing all trace of their very existence from the world.

I don't see it as a very desirable thing, but as long as no one asks me to do it, it's none of my business.

No. If both parties genuinely consent, then there is no violation of marital vows.

I don't know.

I don't think "fair" is the right word. My wife and I are both permitted to be in D&D games with other friends. Only I actually do. On the other hand, we're both permitted to go dancing. Only she actually does.

I don't think it's "unfair" for someone to do something that the other spouse doesn't object to, but has no interest in.

I have no idea. It sounds questionable to me, but I don't know enough about people who would be comfortable with this to offer any generalizations.

I have no clue at all. Honestly, I can't reconcile healthy sexuality with sex with people who aren't already close personal friends... I don't have the authority to condemn alternatives, but they don't appeal to me.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Eph. 3:20 said:
I have yet to see a valid answer (or any answer) to this question...

You will have to show me what is the fundemental difference between a present day man that sleeps with another woman with his wifes approval and the OT saint that sleeps with his concubine, slave or prostitute all without condemnation or the slightest sign of displeasure from God.

Why is God displeased now? What changed fundamentally, with this act being practiced without condemnation, but after the Cross it is not accepted?

Don't throw verses at me......explain.

I believe all of those relationships in the OT imply some kind of ongoing commitment of the man to the woman. Even a slave or concubine had some rights! A stranger in a bar has none.

(I am not about to waste resources trying to argue your position on polygamy, which is apparently unassailable, and almost certainly right.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ben Borg Again

Dec 21, 2004
earth, milky way galaxy, 3-D Universe
✟16,720.00
Faith
Unitarian
Politics
US-Green
my wife and I love to have swinging parties,
We go swinging all the time.
I dont see what the big deal is.
Whenever we go swinging, we invite all our friends and family.
Most of the time we go swinging at the local park, or school playgrounds
I know its not every ones cup of tea.
Some people would rather play on the see-saw or the jungle gym.

Upvote 0

Rae

Pro-Marriage. All marriage.
Aug 31, 2002
Somewhere out there...
Visit site
✟25,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
--If the spouses agree to it, yes. If not, then absolutely not.

--Not if both consent.

--Yes, with no other facts presented...

--No idea, though I know people who do.

--How should I know? I have no experience in this area.

Sex is an integral part of a marriage and if you aren't satisfied with one person then you shouldn't have gotten married.
--This is your opinion. Others out there believe that polyamorous marriage is a possibility. Personally, I don't know that I could handle polyamory, but I've met some people who say they can. If that's so, then I have no problem with them marrying as many people as they can.

The OT, by the way, had no problem with polygamy either. :) Interesting that you do and make statements like this: "the epitome of monogamy - the institution of marriage." when you know that polygamous marriage was the norm in many cultures and at many different times.

Upvote 0

Clarity

Jun 29, 2004
✟341.00
Faith
Christian
No

Yes

No

No

The problem with swinging is that it devalues your marriage if you have one, by sleeping with others other than your wife/husband you are basically saying that your wife is inadequate to meet your needs and you want to be allowed to sleep with whoever you want without the commitment of monogamy and without considering the feelings of your spouse. I think it is very unloving and should not be tolerated in a relationship how can you say you love someone if you are not prepared to reamin loyal to that one person but go off and sleep with others for your own selfish enjoyment without consideration to the feelings of your spouse, a swinging relationship is cheap,disposable and meaningless compared to a proper fullfilling meaningful monogamous marriage where the partner is more than just a sex toy but is treated with the respect, commitment, love and devotion they deserve.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
fluffy_rainbow said:
I think swinging is a filthy way to behave and indicates an abnormal desire for sexual gratification. Obviously it's unacceptable for anyone professing to be Christian, but there would be certain societies that have no problem with it.

Absolutely, and Jesus said even by looking at another with lust is committing adultery in the heart.

If neither have a problem with it then I guess it would be fair.

I don't believe they should.

Can't help you there I'm afraid.

Upvote 0