• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Swearing

Discussion in 'UK and Ireland' started by ianb321red, Jan 17, 2013.

1. savedbygrace05

savedbygrace05 Newbie

+33
    Christian
    Married
    I am also a work in progress, and being in Christian leadership can be helpful (and sometimes a hindrance) when it comes to keeping a rein on my tongue!!!!

2. Crandaddy

Crandaddy Classical Theist

+63
    Anglican
    Private
    I'll admit that I swear sometimes. To be honest, I'm not sure what to think of it. It does seem to me that an expletive...[edit]...might be put to good use in certain contexts. Sometimes a well-placed expletive even seems (to me) to indicate genuine sincerity in certain impassioned contexts.

But I have a much harder time with taking the Lord's name in vain, and especially with clearly blasphemous expressions. I don't see how the willful use of clearly blasphemous expressions could not be sinful.

And :wave: @ fellow Arkansan GloryBe! btw.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. Robban

Robban ----------- Supporter

+1,630
    Sweden
    Judaism
    Divorced
    [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse],

4. Robban

Robban ----------- Supporter

+1,630
    Sweden
    Judaism
    Divorced
    #23, I wrote one Swedish word that means, finish or end,
    It got caught in the CF radar.
    What means one thing in one language can mean something totally different in another.

5. Danny777

Danny777 Member

+11
    Non-Denom
    Married

Hi Ian...

I think the answer to all this is in your quote. The fact that you don't like hearing these phrases perfectly demonstrates that you shouldn't use them.
    At the very least its very disrespectful to our God-at worse, it's very offensive to God! Either way, follow your own conscience (and some of the Bible passages already posted) on this one!

6. Oafman

Oafman Try telling that to these bog brained murphys

+4,042
    Atheist
    Private
    UK-Labour
    I'm not really sure what you mean. Are you saying that swearing 'makes what you say rude'? My opinion is that being disrespectful or insulting to somebody is rude, but using a word, whose literal meaning is sexual or refers to bodily functions, for added emphasis, is not.

Even if this were true, there are times when I want my words to be harmonious, and there are times when I want them to be discordant. Language, by its nature, is required to effectively cover both. Swearing adds an extra layer of options.

Shakespeare loaded his writings with swear words. You might not recognise all of them as swear words, as such perceptions will always change over time, but you would at least recognise the blasphemous phrases, of which there are many.

I will when they're old enough. As long as there are still people offended by swear words, I don't want my kids using them in situations where they're considered by such people to be inappropriate. I don't want my kids to go around upsetting people, even if I don't believe these people should get upset about it. When they reach the point where they can judge when and when not to swear, then I'll happily swear in front of them, and I'll be happy for them to swear in front of me.

As someone rightly pointed out earlier in the thread, one thing I will make very clear to my kids is that, if you overuse swear words, you totally devalue them, and by default, devalue what you are saying. I also don't like hearing people curse every other word, not because I'm offended by the words, but because it's an unimaginative and poor use of language.

7. Nige55

Nige55 Newbie

+168
    Christian
    Married
    Truth. Not harmony (which is a great if one can achieve it). Jesus riled a lot of people (granted, not by the use of cursing), but he sure had a lot of people that hated him. Spreading the good news in this world will cause disharmony, so I don't believe that harmony is what we are called to promote.

8. ianb321red

ianb321red Well-Known Member

+34
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Hi Nige55 - good comment; 100% agree with this.

Jesus said "Think not that I came to send peace on the earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law” Matthew 10:34-35

9. Bungle_Bear

Bungle_Bear Whoot!

+1,869
    Agnostic
    Married
    Swearing and use of offensive language is something we do naturally and (mostly) without thinking. There have been psychology studies into the purpose of swearing which show it to be an important part not only of communication but also psychological well-being - it plays a huge role in managing emotions, for example. T. Jay's 2009 paper "The utility and ubiquity of taboo words. Perspectives on Psychological Science." is an interesting read.

For those who object to coarse language please ignore the following.....

The maori word "whaka" (with "wh" pronounced "f") means "place" and is fairly common in place names. In New Zealand a few years back Ace car rental ran this advertisement. Ace Rental Cars - YouTube I thought it was funny, others obviously didn't. The advertising authority didn't count it as swearing or coarse language, so were those who claimed to be offended genuinely offended or just over-reacting?

10. GloryBe!

GloryBe! Always learning.....

+21
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Agree!! Good point.

11. Oafman

Oafman Try telling that to these bog brained murphys

+4,042
    Atheist
    Private
    UK-Labour
    This is an interesting point, and reminds me of a study which found that swearing helps to control pain

BBC NEWS | Health | Swearing 'helps to reduce pain'

12. Nilla

Nilla No longer on staff

+1,604
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Mod Hat On

[​IMG]

Just wanted to make you all take a look at this rule in particular:
    Vulgarity and Profanity
    Do not post graphic or sexually explicit images or text. Do not use profanity or foul language (this includes using punctuations to bypass the profanity filter and a few non-censored words found
    here.)

If you see that this has been happening in your post, please be so kind and edit your post.

Rules can be found here

Mod Hat Off

13. GloryBe!

+21
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
  14. GloryBe!

+21
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    On another note, I also consider those individuals who,with blatant condescension, try to correct others who swear. Or, even worse, imply that those who use heavy slang of that type are somehow verbally defective, stunted, or IQ deficient. It is a pride factor on their part, and it irritates me. Too many fellow Christians assume those of us that swear are uneducated, unintelligent, or are backsliders.

*disclaimer: I, personally, believe that the only vulgar language is taking the Lord's name in vain.