quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I don't suppose many of us can claim 'hand on heart' that we never utter a swear word, but I do find it very irritating when someone cannot complete a sentence without using one. I dislike the 'f' word very much indeed. I use the phrase "Oh my G*d from time to time and have no problem with it, but for some reason wouldn't say Chr*st or J*sus, not because it would worry me to do so, I just don't.

How do others feel about swearing?
I feel that swearing adds to the beauty and power of language just like every other verbal style or option. I think of it as sort of a spice.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I try to cut back on the number I use, and have improved quite a bit from when I was in the USMC :D

Aah my brother, i can relate....no i've never been in the Marine Corp, but i am a recovering cuss-er....it was so bad, i'd make up cuss words...similar to the dad in A Christmas Story.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I feel that swearing adds to the beauty and power of language just like every other verbal style or option. I think of it as sort of a spice.

Alas i thought the same. I just took it to the extreeeeeeeme LOL

Upvote 0
I

Infernalfist

the stance i have taken on "bad words" and anything else that people can take offense from is, if you are offended, then the ball is in your court, not mine. with the ever growing mound of "taboo" in our society, i have come to feel that if one person can find offense in an act while the person next to them can remain unaffected, it is clear that offense over said act that does not directly effect you is a willful act and can be changed.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
the stance i have taken on "bad words" and anything else that people can take offense from is, if you are offended, then the ball is in your court, not mine. with the ever growing mound of "taboo" in our society, i have come to feel that if one person can find offense in an act while the person next to them can remain unaffected, it is clear that offense over said act that does not directly effect you is a willful act and can be changed.

are you an attorney? :p

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

I agree in part. While causing unnecessary offence is one thing, one shouldn't feel one has to tread on eggshells 24/7.

It's like the meat from idols quote in the Bible - yes, some people may find things offputting, at the same time, if we lowered ourselves to the speed of the slowest member of the pack we'd never progress in anything.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree in part. While causing unnecessary offence is one thing, one shouldn't feel one has to tread on eggshells 24/7.

It's like the meat from idols quote in the Bible - yes, some people may find things offputting, at the same time, if we lowered ourselves to the speed of the slowest member of the pack we'd never progress in anything.

Aah, excellent point. Thou seems to have an understanding of the gist of what that means...i just use different examples :D

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is satisfying at times, but it can easily become a bad habit. It's fun to do but not fun to see done (or hear done) usually.

I'm still shocked at the c-word used casually.

Heee, I actually use that one fairly often, but not because it's a swear. Just because it's the only word for that body part that I actually like the sound of. The 'official' name is fine for medical conversations but not casually, and I just can't stand the sound of the word that also means "cat." It just sounds silly to me. So, that's it, or some adjective paired with the word "bits."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
They're just words. I generally use so-called 'swear words' without thinking about it, just like any other word. I genuinely don't see the problem. Swearing in general leads to a more creative use of language. Sure, some people have a limited vocabulary that consists largely of swear words, but they would have a tedious use of language even without swear words.

And The Thick Of It is an amazing programme. It's a particularly good example of how swearing can go hand in hand with a creative and interesting use of the English language.

Upvote 0

RealityPixie

Space Cadet
Nov 4, 2009
✟8,110.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
I don't suppose many of us can claim 'hand on heart' that we never utter a swear word, but I do find it very irritating when someone cannot complete a sentence without using one. I dislike the 'f' word very much indeed. I use the phrase "Oh my G*d from time to time and have no problem with it, but for some reason wouldn't say Chr*st or J*sus, not because it would worry me to do so, I just don't.

How do others feel about swearing?

I'm an Australian, swearing is our national past-time ^_^

No but seriously, why are swear words offensive? Unless they are something that is designed to hurt a particular person (like racial slurs), why should isolated words without context be offensive?

I do enjoy a good swear, but will limit their use (or at the very least lower my voice) in public areas. I also try not to let every second word out of my mouth be a swear, that does get annoying after a while. I can tolerate pretty much any swear so long as the context in which is is said is right. The only ones that make me wince are the derogatory ones <staff edit>

**for the record, I was not brought up in a swearing household. I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard my folks slip <staff edit>

One thing I find odd, actually, is the way people treat swearing in other countries. For example, when watching American talk shows/reality shows (yes, our TV is flooded with them) all the swears seem to be censored. Aussies are much more thick skinned; our talk/reality shows only censor out the strong ones <staff edit> but leave others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
600px-Nuvola_apps_important_yellows.png

MOD HAT ON

Just because this is a thread on swearing doesn't mean y'all can post swear words. Don't bypass the filter, don't post vulgar words.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just because this is a thread on swearing doesn't mean y'all can post swear words. Don't bypass the filter, don't post vulgar words.

Everytime I hear the term "y'all" I picture the user sitting in a red Ford F250 out in the middle of a vast farmland field with a straw hat and a piece of wheat hanging out of their mouth...LOL:sorry:

.....just sayin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Everytime I hear the term "y'all" I picture the user sitting in a red Ford F250 out in the middle of a vast farmland field with a straw hat and a piece of wheat hanging out of their mouth...LOL:sorry:

.....just sayin.

for all you know, that's exactly what I'm doing!! ^_^

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That could be...if so, don't forget to water the horses, feed the cattle and muck out the pig pen!! ;)

we speaks like dat in Baltimore...but we ain't got no farms...i luv's the word "y'all" :D

Upvote 0