Sarniaroses

Dec 4, 2009
✟15,337.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't suppose many of us can claim 'hand on heart' that we never utter a swear word, but I do find it very irritating when someone cannot complete a sentence without using one. I dislike the 'f' word very much indeed. I use the phrase "Oh my G*d from time to time and have no problem with it, but for some reason wouldn't say Chr*st or J*sus, not because it would worry me to do so, I just don't.

How do others feel about swearing?

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
I don't suppose many of us can claim 'hand on heart' that we never utter a swear word, but I do find it very irritating when someone cannot complete a sentence without using one. I dislike the 'f' word very much indeed. I use the phrase "Oh my G*d from time to time and have no problem with it, but for some reason wouldn't say Chr*st or J*sus, not because it would worry me to do so, I just don't.

I'm fairly openminded, but swearing is one of the few things that still has the capacity to shock me. Most of the time, I think it's unnecessary. You can always find substitute words that are less sweary, like "sugar" and "blast" and "fiddlesticks and flapdoodle" (I owe that to Professor Yaffle from Bagpuss) or "confusticate and bebother it" (I owe that to my wife, although I believe she got it from The Hobbit).

Have y'ever seen The Thick of It? Wall-to-wall F-words...

David.

Upvote 0
A

armyman_83

Being a soldier, I am around tons of cursing and swearing almost every day. I do not condone such speech, and I often get heat because I don't curse or take part in other vices which my brothers in arms so often do (i.e. Drinking to excess, fornication, etc.).

I feel that "From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." Mat. 12:34.

If our words are vile, then that is a reflection of our heart.

"But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?"
--James 3:9-11

Like Sarniaroses said, every one makes mistakes and curses everyonce and a while, if it be out of a sudden physical pain, or soical situation, etc. Just like everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

For me, cursing in mixed company is a big "no no". But this is from a socital thing I suppose.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Religious-themed swears like taking the Lord's name in vain, etc, I can understand, although so many people let so many of God's laws slide, I find it funny that some get so uptight over something which is essentially inconsequential.

Other swears though, yes, some people can be a bit unimaginative and overuse them, but let's be realistic, people, it's outdated Teutonic for the most part (and teutonic that wasn't obscene either), why are we getting offended over this again?

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
'The Thick of it' would not be something I would wish to watch.

I saw it once, and whilst there's no denying the talent involved (Peter Capaldi, Rebecca Front, Chris Addison, Armando Ianucci...*faints*), it felt like I was being verbally assaulted...not an experience I wish to repeat!

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There is evidence that swearing in response to pain actually does provide relief. It may activate the amygdala, which inhibits pain impulses in the brain. So when you smash your thumb with a hammer, it really does make it feel better when you let fly with the God expletives or a few choice four letter words of Anglo-Saxon origin.

Why the #$%! Do We Swear? For Pain Relief: Scientific American

Upvote 0
C

Cognitive

There is evidence that swearing in response to pain actually does provide relief. It may activate the amygdala, which inhibits pain impulses in the brain. So when you smash your thumb with a hammer, it really does make it feel better when you let fly with the God expletives or a few choice four letter words of Anglo-Saxon origin.

Why the #$%! Do We Swear? For Pain Relief: Scientific American

That word is my favorite.

I've also read about this, very interesting stuff. I defiantly put it to the test at work.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I have no problem with swearing. People that overdo it are annoying, but no more so than people who say 'like' too often.

But there occasions where swearing offers a deeper meaning to what one intends to say. In fact, the f-word (and its variants) is one of the most versatile words in the English language, with enough uses to fill a book on its own (see "The F-Word" by Jesse Sheidlower). To deprive yourself of the usage of such an expressive word is a disservice. Sometimes, it really is le mot juste.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm probably a rare exception, but I never swear. I've never uttered the F word, and only said the S word a few times by accident. I absolutely hate cussing. I find it entirely unnecessary. If I feel the need to express myself I say "freakin" or "crap" at the most. It's not an easy position to be in since everyone i know cusses a lot. My friends have always tried to get me to cuss just once, but I won't do it. I particular hate cuss words with a sexual connotation, which is why the F word and the P word are my most hated cuss words.

On this point, does anyone find the word "d*mn" to be a swear word? Damnation is found in the Bible, but obviously used in a different context.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
<explicitive deleted>

Actually not, but I thought it a good way to start my post. Look up explicitive. I have no problem with swearlng, but it does bother me when swaer words are used by someone so often that they cease to be explicitives any longer.

Reactions: Skaloop
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Actually saying
""Oh my G*d
is saying His name in vain.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
If I feel the need to express myself I say "freakin" or "crap" at the most.

See, I hear that a lot, but I don't see how that is any better, considering those are merely synonyms substituting for the actual swear words. Everybody still know what you really mean. Sure, you're not saying the actual f-word, but you are saying a very similar single-syllable word that starts with an 'f' and has a hard 'k' sound at the end and means the exact same thing.

It just seems to be a very thin veneer between what you mean (the f-word) and what you actually say (freakin'). But I don't see how one is substantively any better or worse than the other.

Upvote 0

levi501

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2004
✟19,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have no problem with swearing. People that overdo it are annoying, but no more so than people who say 'like' too often.

But there occasions where swearing offers a deeper meaning to what one intends to say. In fact, the f-word (and its variants) is one of the most versatile words in the English language, with enough uses to fill a book on its own (see "The F-Word" by Jesse Sheidlower). To deprive yourself of the usage of such an expressive word is a disservice. Sometimes, it really is le mot juste.
/agree.

Along with annoying I associate a lack of education or intelligence for those that depend on it to express themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
/agree.

Along with annoying I associate a lack of education or intelligence for those that depend on it to express themselves.

Agreed. But on the other hand, it takes intelligence and wit to drop an f-bomb in just the right way.

It's like comparing a guy with a machine gun who flails madly against a barn wall with a guy who hits center-target with one shot from 500 yards away. One is impressive, one is reckless.

So for me, any problems come with how a swear word is used, not that it is used.

Upvote 0

OdwinOddball

Atheist Water Fowl
Jan 3, 2006
Birmingham, AL
✟22,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
/agree.

That doesn't pan out though. Its just a stereotype, many highly intelligent people swear, and swear often.

Honestly, it seems to be based more on age than anything else. As time moves on, swearing has lost much of its uncouthness, and is fairly well accepted in normal conversation. There are of course exceptions, but in general terms that would seem to be the case in the Gen-Y and under groups, and somewhat so for us Gen-X'ers.

I swear with a mix of so-called cuss words and "blasphemy" but also more family friendly versions like "dag-nab-it".

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm fine with the occasional swear, if used in a way that makes sense. Like, swearing at something that's upsetting you, or in a deliberate way that makes a particular impact.

Swearing all the time bugs me, like it seems to bug a lot of people. It sounds unintelligent and it detracts from the meaning of the words, and from the meaning of anything else they might be saying.

I swear a little bit, when I'm making a point. I've found that, because I almost never use harsh language, or a harsh demeanor, at work, I can make a real impact with the occasional, "Cut the cr*p!"

I've never used true *names* for any god as a curse. I think I might have once, when I was really young, and was told never to do that. Even now, I never do. It just never occurs to me use names for gods as curses, and even when I think of it, like now, the idea seems wrong. Like...unnecessarily offensive in a specific and targeted sort of way. I'll occasionally say "Oh god," or something like that, or even "oh em gee." Not what it stands for--I'll say the actual letters.

Actually saying [oh my G*d] is saying His name in vain.

On the other hand, I do have to respond to this. god (lowercase deliberate) is a generic noun that refers to a deity. God (uppercase) is a title that can refer to any god, with the implication that that one is the only one.

In the Old Testament, when the god of Israel is asked what he should be called, he responds with Yahweh. If anything, that is the Christian god's name. You could get away with Lord, too, since it was traditional to replace his true name with that title.

At any rate, God's name is not "God," anymore than my name is "paraprofessional" or "Ms."

I've always wondered what "taking God's name in vain" really meant, to the people who wrote it. I'm guessing that they didn't use any equivalent of "Oh my G*d," the way that we do. Since "in vain" usually means "for nothing," the only thing I can think of that makes sense is swearing an oath "by the Lord," or "by YHVH," and then failing to carry through with it.

Upvote 0