• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Swearing while praying

candyandcake

May 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟7,703.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am catholic so I say repetitive prayers like Our Father and Hail Mary well when I was trying to get closer to God I was praying for about 2 years and while praying my mind would try to force me to swear at GOd and I would say the f word or think it while I was praying and I dont know if I was getting closer to God and the devil was trying to stop me from praying but it was really really bad there for a while and I would say in Jesus name stay away from me but I was just wondering if anyone else ever had that problem:scratch:

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,112.00
Faith
Christian
Yeah I have that problem kinda but not with swear words but just thinking some wrong things.. like I could have a prideful thought coz I dont want to have one.. I just bow down do the sign of the cross and continue as though nothing happend.. the thoughts lessen by the end of prayer time or disappear .. therefore it might be the devil. When your swear outside prayer time it wont go away as soon as you start praying it takes time..

Upvote 0

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
It happens. When I'm upset I tend to rant at God, and I tend to think that no matter what stupidity I'm spewing he just sits there looking amused. Finally, it's like "Are you done yet?" and I realize I'm being stupid, and stop.

Sometimes we need to just blow off steam.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,112.00
Faith
Christian
well I dont use prayer to take them away it might happen in prayer.. but if I get a bad thought during the day and I realise it I just do sign of cross and say Lord have mercy and I know God forgives me.. Its better to focus more on having a good time with God and asking Him to make you humble and trusting He will do everything to make it so.

Upvote 0

feline

May 25, 2005
✟556.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I wouldn't stress about it , we all have weird little compulsions like that. Sometimes if I'm standing on a cliff, I'll picture me jumping off even though I have no inclination of doing so. Also in church , during quiet moments I would have impulses to make a loud noise or yell... I think it has to do with akward or tense moments... as long as your heart is in the right place, ya know?

Upvote 0

Jesuslovesdabears

Apr 13, 2005
Wisconsin
✟298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes when I pray I have sexual thoughts, I just try to move on with my prayer and say sorry to god or just ignore them.
I know I dont mean any disrespect to god so I dont worry to much if a girl pops in my head, I ofcoarse dont dwell on it and dont think about it though.
God understands that we dont mean these things, and I truely think its just another way for Satan to try and rune our wonderful relationship with god.

Walter

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing magical and there is no power in rotely repeating the "Lord's prayer" or hail Marys as "prayers". When you talk to God you can speak to Him as you would to a good friend because Jesus said we are now His friends. There is no special "type" of prayer or position for prayer or place for prayer. God is with you no matter where you are and is ready to listen to whatever you have to say to Him. If you struggle to keep from getting vulgar, don't sweat it. It's not like He's never heard it before. If you have surrendered your life to Him He has given you the power to overcome the Enemy.

Upvote 0

chiyongam

Nov 9, 2004
dallas
✟7,931.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
This is the Almighty God that you are swearing at. Why lower the Lord in such a manner. Would you swear at your earthly Father? Please before you come before the Lord make sure that you remind yourself each time who it is you are talking to. Yes he understands that we are sinful but is this swearing out of your control? Do what is pleasing to the Lord come to him with a heart full of thanksgiving . Ask him to deliver you from any influence that is causing you to bring down the His Name. You were created to worship him.

Upvote 0