Visit site
✟20,679.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
London — When people on Folkestone Street talk about mysterious outsiders, they are usually referring to the yuppie families who are attracted to its long rows of Victorian townhouses with steep walk-up steps, considered real-estate bargains by some.

Here on the streets of Walthamstow, in the working-class suburban streets of northeast London, the Pakistani families who arrived in the 1950s are long-standing and accepted members of the community. It is a place where cockney pubs sit next to halal butchers, the poor whites and conservative Muslims making awkward but generally peaceful neighbours.

But when dozens of police burst into houses on this street and five others in Walthamstow early yesterday morning, another kind of mysterious stranger emerged: Young men from moderate families who had quietly grown beards, started praying and dropped out of mainstream society.

>snip<

Link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060811.wbomb-suspects0811/BNStory/Front

ksen

Wiki on Garth!
Mar 24, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟20,679.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
UberLutheran said:
There's a point I think you may be trying to make, but I'm not quite getting it.

Can you help the guy out for a second? :p ^_^

No problem my friend. :)

My point is that those who we think are the "moderate" muslims may not be as moderate as we thought.

Or as I saw on another site:

Moderate Muslim = Muslim out of ammo ;)

Upvote 0

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The families of the terrorists should feel the pain. Forfeit their pensions. Take away their assets. Sell their homes. Force them to build their own prisons. Make an example of them so the parents next door will take responsibility for their children. Islamic radicals would kill such individuals for lesser crimes. We can be generous and have them live the balance of their lives in maximum confinement - paid for by their assets.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem isn't die-hard muslims, perse, but newly radicalized ones. Much how new Christians are the most fiery, the newest Muslims (who have rediscovered Islam - they've gone from the casual muslim to the newly fundamentalist type) are the ones to watch out for.

In other words, it's the members of moderate families that all of a sudden start wearing hijabs or going to the mosque several times a day.

(this describes one of my neighbors in Brooklynistan - you can bet I've an eye on him)

Upvote 0
H

HoneyDew

simplicity said:
The families of the terrorists should feel the pain. Forfeit their pensions. Take away their assets. Sell their homes. Force them to build their own prisons. Make an example of them so the parents next door will take responsibility for their children. Islamic radicals would kill such individuals for lesser crimes. We can be generous and have them live the balance of their lives in maximum confinement - paid for by their assets.

Ouch.

So the children have eaten the sour grapes and set the parents teeth on edge?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.