Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"You ask, will the heterodox be saved... Why do you worry about them? They have a Saviour Who desires the salvation of every human being. He will take care of them. You and I should not be burdened with such a concern. Study yourself and your own sins... I will tell you one thing, however: should you, being Orthodox and possessing the Truth in its fullness, betray Orthodoxy, and enter a different faith, you will lose your soul forever."

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Forgive me....

I don't see the context. That verse is referring to the ceremonial law by which the priests would eat the Temple sacrifices.

Well, here is what St. John Chrysostom thought about Hebrews 13:10, in his 33rd Homily.

Hebrews 13:10

For Hebrews 13:10 we have an altar whereof they have no right to eat which serve the Tabernacle. Not as the Jewish [ordinances], are those among us, as it is not lawful even for the High Priest to partake of them. So that since he had said, Do not observe, and this seemed to be [the language] of one who is throwing down his own building, he again turns it round. What, have not we then observances as well (he says)? [Yea we have], and we observe them very earnestly too, not sharing them even with the priests themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It means to suffer the abuse in Jesus example outside the temple.

12And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through his own blood. 13Let us, then, go to him outside the camp, bearing the disgrace he bore. 14For here we do not have an enduring city, but we are looking for the city that is to come.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

12And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through his own blood. 13Let us, then, go to him outside the camp, bearing the disgrace he bore. 14For here we do not have an enduring city, but we are looking for the city that is to come.

And again, here from St. John Chrysostom's 33rd
Homily

Hebrews 13:11-13

4. For the bodies of those beasts whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the High Priest for sin, are burned without the camp. Wherefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people with His own blood, suffered (he says) without the gate. Do you see the type shining forth? For sin, he says, and suffered without the gate. Hebrews 13:13 Let us go forth therefore to Him without the camp, bearing His reproach, that is, suffering the same things; having communion with Him in His sufferings. He was crucified without as a condemned person: neither let us then be ashamed to go forth out [of the world].
Hebrews 13:14-15

For we have here no continuing city (he says) but we seek one to come. By Him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to His Name.
By Him, as by an High Priest, according to the flesh. Giving thanks (he says) to His Name. (See p. 514.) Let us utter nothing blasphemous, nothing hasty, nothing bold, nothing presumptuous, nothing desperate. This is with reverence and godly fear. Hebrews 12:28 For a soul in tribulations becomes desponding, and reckless. But let not us [be so]. See here he again says the same thing which he said before, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, for so shall we be able to do all things with reverence. For oftentimes even out of respect for men, we refrain from doing many evil things.
It would be nice if we could have context....

:sigh:

I am not considered a Christian, then.

No, as you would see if you read the article linked. I just said that Heterodox does not mean heathen....

I am outside the church;

Yep, the Orthodox Church anyways.

I am anathema.

no. I think anathemas are reserved for heresy...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

:thumbsup:
Interesting the places that word for "camp" is used in the NT...including Revelation :blush: :wave:

#3925 used 10 times in 10 verses. 6 times Acts, 4 times Hebrews, 1 time Relvelation [20:9]

Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

Hebrews 13:11 For of which carried into living-ones the blood concerning sin into the holies thru the Chief priest of these the bodies is being burned up outside of the camp/parembolhV <3925>.

Reve 20:9 And they did ascend over the breadth of the land, and did compass the Camp/parembolhn <3925> of the Saints, and the City, the having been loved.
And descended fire from the God out of the heaven, and devoured them

3925. parembole par-em-bol-ay' from a compound of 3844 and 1685; a throwing in beside (juxtaposition), i.e. (specially), battle-array, encampment or barracks (tower Antonia):--army, camp, castle.
3844. para par-ah' a primary preposition; properly, near; i.e. (with genitive case) from beside (literally or figuratively), (with dative case) at (or in) the vicinity of (objectively or subjectively), (with accusative case) to the proximity with (local (especially beyond or opposed to) or causal (on account of):--above, against, among,
1685. emballo em-bal'-lo from 1722 and 906; to throw on, i.e. (figuratively) subject to (eternal punishment):--cast into.

Upvote 0