Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys.
I just have I kind of simple question. Today on my way home from school I passed by the local Anglican church, and I was looking at the the church's outdoor sign. I noticed they have two Sunday services, one says the Holy Eucharist, the other says Sung Eucharist. Can somebody explain to me what the difference is between the two services?

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lel said:
Unless I'm missing something (a common occurrence), the Sung Eucharist is sung and the Holy Eucharist may be either sung or spoken (probably spoken).
Maybe it's the way I worded, but I guess I'm interested in what they comprise of, because I have only ever been to orthodox liturgies which are chanted/sung.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
In my experience:

If a church signboard distinguishes between "Sung Eucharist" and "Holy Eucharist":

- The "Holy Eucharist" service is not the main service. Usually it's scheduled at 8:00 a.m., or even on the Saturday or Friday night before, to provide people with a quick, no-florid opportunity to get to a weekly Church service without to much "ado" about it. It's often a 1662-style service with NO music, neither hymns or canticles. Typically, all the shorter options provided by the rubrics will be chosen, and any omissions allowed by the rubrics will be omitted. You'll get the collect for purity, the collect of the day, the readings and the gospel, a short sermon, truncated prayers of the people comprising at minimum a prayer for the church, prayer of humble access and confession, the consecration and communion, and blessing. Back when I was in university, Father Molyneux could do it in 20 minutes, including sermon and pausing for an emphesema attack in the middle of the consecration.

- pre-liturgical-reform (that would be, before the mid 70's) Sung Eucharist always meant the 1662-style service. Besides the above elements, a hymn would be included for a processional in, the the Commandments would be chanted a capella by the choir to Anglican chant form, with chanted response by the congregation to each commandment; addition collects would be chanted or said, the Psalm would be chanted and a "gradual hymn" added before the gospel reading, the Credo would be chanted by the people with organ accompaniment, an offertory hymn would be added after the sermon, with a chanted doxology following the offertory procession, additional petitions would be included in the prayers of the people, the Sursum Corda would be chanted a capella (English plainsong this time, rather than Anglican chant) with responses chanted by the congregation and the benedictus chanted; Agnus Dei and other canticles would be chanted by the choir during the communion; the Lord's Prayer would be chanted, the priest would chant the prayer after communion and the people would chant Gloria in Excelsis; and after the Blessing a recessional hymn would be added. The most common chant forms used were James Merbeck's Anglican chant with his original English plainsong form for the sursum corda.

- Since liturgical reform, "Sung Eucharist" usually uses modern diatonic 'chant' forms (Louise Tadman's being the most popular, with Marty Haugman a favourite in certain circles) and usually more liturgical elements are said, with only a few being chanted: usually the Agnus Dei, Gloria (which is moved to the front of the service) and the Lord's Prayer. It's relatively rare nowadays to chant the Psalm and the Credo, and it's vanishingly rare to hear either English Plainsong or Anglican chant. Also in modern services, the gradual hymn is often replaced by a gospel acclamation.

- Of course, in the most contemporary services, the chant and traditional canticles are replaced by praise-and-worship songs, sometimes with the intent that they serve the same purpose and sometimes with more flexible sense of the role of music in the service; and the organ may be replaced by keyboard and guitar. Such a contemporary service would usually not be called "Sung Eucharist", but it is possible.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
Aymn27 said:
Would anyone have links to the chant/plainsong used?? Just curious.
Oh, I wish!

Most recordings of church music I can find are of special masses, or great cathedral choirs doing showcase music -- which is never the Merbecke chant because that was just every-day stuff. The day-to-day and week-to-week music of ordinary sung worship from 50 years ago is vanishing.

Of course, if you're very tolerant, I could try posting a .wav file....you don't forget something you've sung every week for a decade ... but alas you can't get more than a general feel of Anglican plainchant without three other voices at least. Maybe one of our church musicians has a source.

Upvote 0

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Pamela, that information is incredible (and shows how much of a beginner I am at my study of liturgy) was the plainsong sung in parts? I know that prior to the turn of the previous century, a lot more of the congregation in the churches sang parts as their normal singing--particularly in Wales!--and I'm very sad to see that dying out of the church slowly.

Timothy

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
SirTimothy said:
Pamela, that information is incredible (and shows how much of a beginner I am at my study of liturgy) was the plainsong sung in parts? I know that prior to the turn of the previous century, a lot more of the congregation in the churches sang parts as their normal singing--particularly in Wales!--and I'm very sad to see that dying out of the church slowly.

Timothy
Anglican chant is/was done in four parts. English Plainsong is unison, and as I say, typically used only for the Sursum Corda (lift up your hearts; We lift them up unto the Lord ...)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.