life_boy

But It Did Happen
Feb 3, 2003
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟278.00
Faith
Calvinist
Summer is on the way. It is the end of the semester, time for students to have time to do those things they wish they had the time to do during the school year. But, it's also time for summer vacations, taking breaks and all that good stuff. Summer is the time to make good those promises you has been making to yourself to finally sit down and read this or that or to finally check out some book again.

So, what are everyone's summer reading lists looking like?

life_boy

But It Did Happen
Feb 3, 2003
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟278.00
Faith
Calvinist
I'm putting some major books (not just major in size, but in content) on my summer list because I'll have more time to read them. I like making lists and so I'm glad to participate in my own thread! I'm just going to list the main books I'd like to have read by the end of the summer. This will not by my entire list (at least, I hope not!).

life_boy's Summer Reading List 2004
An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
Lady Chatterley's Lover - D.H. Lawrence
Light in August - William Faulkner
On the Road - Jack Kerouac
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia-Márquez
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce
Ulysses - James Joyce
War & Peace - Leo Tolstoy
Zorba the Greek - Nikos Kazantzakis

Upvote 0

Koryu

Rurouni Kenshin Fan
Dec 11, 2003
Aumsville, Or, USA
Visit site
✟393.00
Faith
Christian
I love summer reading...we started a book club at school this year so I've has even less time then usual to read the good I want! I can't wait for summer (or even the weekend :D )!

Memoirs of a Geisha : A Novel by Arthur Golden
The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis
As many of the Wheel of Time books as I can, I'm only on #3 .... _ _*
I want to reread Harry Poter and the Order of the Pheonix
And a whole bunch of other that I can't think of right now. I now more will be added as time goes by though, it always happens that way! :D

Upvote 0

Dyrwen

Godless Reprobate
Jun 24, 2003
WA, USA. Earth.
Visit site
✟16,073.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
I hope to finish a few books.

Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest For Global Dominance - Noam Chomsky
What is Anarchism? - Alexander Berkman
Denying Evolution: Creationism, Scientism, and the Nature of Science - Massimo Pigliucci
Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk
The Portable Nietzsche

Let's just say, I'll be busy.

Upvote 0

Loki

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
✟17,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some choice reads from all of you. My unwanted $0.02:

Lifeboy, that's some serious reading.... that's literally thousands of pages. Good luck with War & Peace; haven't read that one myself, also with Ulysses. Picked it up a couple of times, but haven't had the time to really buckle down with it. I loved Portrait, though.

Koryu: Have fun with Lewis and Rowling. Harry Potter amuses me to no end.

Dyrwen: The Portable Nietzsche's strengths really do lie in the whole works; Zarathustra, Twilight, and Antichrist. I dind't find the excerpts as interesting (not enough context, perhaps). Zarathustra's one of my favorite pieces, and Twilight has some great Axioms and Arrows.

Nadroj, The Brothers Karamazov is my favorite novel of all time. Kurt Vonnegut refered to it as one of the only books someone needs (he listed two, can't recall the other), and that it's about everything. That's actually pretty accurate. Whose translation are you reading?

Now for me:

Savage Inequalities - Jonathan Kozol
Why Christianity Must Change or Die - John Shelby Spong
The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoevsky
James Joyce - Richard Ellman
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Kundera

That's about all I can reasonably expect to finish given that I want to make 3 quilts, take 2 classes, and sleep, also.

Upvote 0

nadroj1985

A bittersweet truth: sum, ergo cogito
Dec 10, 2003
Lexington, KY
✟15,543.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Loki said:
Nadroj, The Brothers Karamazov is my favorite novel of all time. Kurt Vonnegut refered to it as one of the only books someone needs (he listed two, can't recall the other), and that it's about everything. That's actually pretty accurate. Whose translation are you reading?

Yes, I have heard similarly glowing reviews of the book before, and I think pretty highly of Vonnegut. I have no idea about translation, however. What translation should I be reading?

Upvote 0

Dyrwen

Godless Reprobate
Jun 24, 2003
WA, USA. Earth.
Visit site
✟16,073.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
Loki said:
Dyrwen: The Portable Nietzsche's strengths really do lie in the whole works; Zarathustra, Twilight, and Antichrist. I dind't find the excerpts as interesting (not enough context, perhaps). Zarathustra's one of my favorite pieces, and Twilight has some great Axioms and Arrows.
I believe the book I have contains the "complete and unabridged texts of Nietzsche's four major works: Twilight of the Idols, The Antichrist, Neitzsche Contra Wagner, and Thus Spoke Zarathustra." as the back of the book states.

I've heard good things and figured this should be a good primer to start out with before college.

Upvote 0

Loki

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
✟17,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it does. It has random miscellaneous clips, too, though. The ones it has in their entirety are worth the read.

As for Brothers Karamazov, I've read the Garnett translation and MacAndrew translation. Garnett was one of the earliest ones, and is widely published, but it's a bit less fluid than the MacAndrew translation. Also, it is less "Anglicized" in that some names have been translated in MacAndrew (Pavel to Paul, for example), and patronymics are used more frequently. I didn't like MacAndrew because I felt it deviated too much from the Russian essence of some aspects of the novel, but it's more accessable to someone who's not used to characters having 3 names, for instance (Dmitri Fyodorovich, Dmitri, Mitya). It takes more liberties, some of which, I feel, damage the effect of some passages. In one part, Ivan says to his Alyosha "Am I my brother's keeper?", but MacAndrew translates it as "I am not my brother's keeper." I prefer the direct allusion and more implied version, but it's not major thing.

Good luck with it, and if you want to discuss it at any time, drop me a line. I'll probably reread it over the summer simply because I love it so much.

One recommendation: Dostoevsky epilogues tend to be a little unnecessary; they resolve loose ends that, for the most part, would be deduced by an intelligent reader, so it might be best to let the novel sink in overnight once you finish book 12, before reading the epilogue.

Reactions: nadroj1985
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

childoffaith

Mar 19, 2004
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Alrighty
There is this book that would be good for all ya'll to get hooked in. It's PERSECUTION. David Limbaugh wrote it, he is a christian lawer. It's an amazing book.
It talks about how liberals are waging war against Cristianity. It is'nt a book for you to sit by the fire drinking coffee kind of book. it will help you in the longrun to know though. If you are in to the politics or learning about how we as christians are persecuted in America. Get hooked up, you won't regret it.

Upvote 0

Cordelia

Temperamental Girl of God
Apr 14, 2004
Leeds, United Kingdom
✟10,155.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Mine...:)

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
The Queen's Fool - Philippa Gregory
The Princess Diaries: Mia Goes Fourth - Meg Cabot
The Man in the Iron Mask - Alexandre Dumas
Interview with the Vampire - Anne Rice (again!!)
Mansfield Park - Jane Austen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fieldmouse3

Contributor
Feb 14, 2002
Washington State
Visit site
✟8,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know...I just read the 5th "Harry Potter" book (and I'm dying for the 6th already....I want to know how they did on their O.W.L.S.!!! :D ), and that's inspired me to reread the others. I don't know what I'll read past that.

Upvote 0

MissRowboat

cheerios.
May 25, 2004
under your bed >:)
✟40,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have summer reading..Not optional though, I have to for school.

I have to read the Pilgrim's Progress, a biography, a classic piece of literature, and just a good fiction book..And I have a nice little list of books to choose from.

But I also have to read a biography for history class this summer..And a book for my thesis. So much to do..

Upvote 0