Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
At the time of the incident they did not engineer their own coffee. Even if they had, brewing procedures would have been the same.

They've been engineering their own food for decades - that's how restaurant chains maintain consistency between restaurants. As described in the link I provided, they chose their holding temperature based on what industry consultants (i.e. researchers they hired) told them were optimum temperatures for taste. Unlike what you previously claimed, their holding temperatures were not dictated by equipment manufacturers.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟563,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's like talking to a wall.

No kidding.

I was in middle management.

Oh, well then. Middle management. My apologies, sir. I failed to appreciate the magnitude of greatness in my presence.

I honestly can't tell if you're serious or joking.

I do know what I'm talking about.

Then why do you keep saying things that are wrong and not supporting any of your claims?

But please by all means keep spouting ignorance.

Like the one about McDonald's not having control of the thermostats on their coffee pots?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟496,108.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Like the one about McDonald's not having control of the thermostats on their coffee pots?
I think that the problem is that the middle management guy has no control about it because the decision is made above his head, so AvilaSurfer never saw the decision made and just assumes that it must be some sort of natural law, I don't know.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's like talking to a wall. I was in middle management. I do know what I'm talking about. But please by all means keep spouting ignorance.
Who decided that the mfr recommended temp was safe to introduce to the automobile driver environment?

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟942,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1. Oh, well then. Middle management. My apologies, sir. I failed to appreciate the magnitude of greatness in my presence.
Not bragging, just letting you know I have some credibility. Nice snark though.

2. I honestly can't tell if you're serious or joking. Since it seems to be hard for you, I'm serious.

3. Then why do you keep saying things that are wrong and not supporting any of your claims?
I guess I have to keep repeating myself because the current is a dense as a post.

4. Like the one about McDonald's not having control of the thermostats on their coffee pots?
(Sigh)....At the time of the incident, the coffee machines (not pots) came from the company preset for both brewing and holding temps. If you had ever worked in a restaurant instead of sitting up there on that judgey chair, you'd know that.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟942,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who decided that the mfr recommended temp was safe to introduce to the automobile driver environment?
Food is food, soda is soda, coffee is coffee, no matter where you consume it. There is not one standard for dining area food and another for food handed out a window.
(I really am amazed that I have to explain that).

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟563,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not bragging, just letting you know I have some credibility. Nice snark though.

In what industry did you serve as middle management?

(Sigh)....At the time of the incident, the coffee machines (not pots) came from the company preset for both brewing and holding temps. If you had ever worked in a restaurant instead of sitting up there on that judgey chair, you'd know that.

And who dictated those temperatures? The equipment manufacturer or McDonald's when they ordered the machines?

To be clear, I'm not pointing the finger at the individual restaurant or the franchise owner. Sure, their autonomy is limited. I'm pointing the finger at McDonald's corporate that sets the policies and practices that the franchises have to follow.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Food is food, soda is soda, coffee is coffee, no matter where you consume it. There is not one standard for dining area food and another for food handed out a window.
(I really am amazed that I have to explain that).
There should be. Its really negligent to hand out scalding hot liquids to automobile drivers. I say that as a person who has to share the road with those drivers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟942,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There should be. Its really negligent to hand out scalding hot liquids to automobile drivers. I say that as a person who has to share the road with those drivers.
Then don't buy hot drinks in the drive through.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟942,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In what industry did you serve as middle management?

And who dictated those temperatures? The equipment manufacturer or McDonald's when they ordered the machines?

To be clear, I'm not pointing the finger at the individual restaurant or the franchise owner. Sure, their autonomy is limited. I'm pointing the finger at McDonald's corporate that sets the policies and practices that the franchises have to follow.
If you would take some time and research proper brewing temps for any coffee, anywhere, you will get the same information. Nothing has changed. If you don't brew it at almost 200 degrees, the flavor isn't extracted from the coffee grounds. If you don't hold it at around 190, it loses flavor quickly.
The finger, as I've said, should be pointed at the consumer. The consumer knows it's hot coffee, and has to be responsible for their own actions after they purchase it.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟563,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you would take some time and research proper brewing temps for any coffee, anywhere, you will get the same information. Nothing has changed. If you don't brew it at almost 200 degrees, the flavor isn't extracted from the coffee grounds. If you don't hold it at around 190, it loses flavor quickly.
The finger, as I've said, should be pointed at the consumer. The consumer knows it's hot coffee, and has to be responsible for their own actions after they purchase it.

I'm familiar with the rationale behind holding it at a high temperature. I'm not arguing about the taste of the coffee.

We're arguing about who chose to hold the coffee at those high temperatures. You failed to answer any of the questions I posed in my previous post.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Then don't buy hot drinks in the drive through.
Thats makes no sense as a reply to my post.

The post you replied to says I have to share the road with those drivers.

Before you ask, I already make it a practice not to buy boiling hot drinks for them.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟942,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm familiar with the rationale behind holding it at a high temperature. I'm not arguing about the taste of the coffee.

We're arguing about who chose to hold the coffee at those high temperatures. You failed to answer any of the questions I posed in my previous post.
Multiple times I said that was determined by the coffee industry itself. I answered all those questions. Read again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟323,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Additionally, the woman had only originally sought medical expenses, and then during the trial, maybe some amount on top of that, but nothing too exorbitant. The big payout came from the jury taking it upon themselves to levy punitive damages after seeing McD's history of ignoring the problem of burns.

And it being revealed that McDonald's internal memos said they would make more money by selling a dangerous product and settling cases. The very definition of Gross and willful negligence. A slam dunk for punitive damages and exactly what it was designed for.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟323,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Multiple times I said that was determined by the coffee industry itself. I answered all those questions. Read again.

Yes you have said it, multiple times. In fact so many times I would have expected actual evidence long ago.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟563,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Actually, you tried to say it was the manufacturers of the brewing equipment.

"The coffee industry" is a rather nebulous term - who is that, exactly? Is it the bean farmers in Columbia? The coffee buyers? The roasters? The wholesalers? The shippers? The retailers? The guy who installs the coffee machine? The kid who brews coffee at the restaurant? The guy who leases Juan Valdez his donkey?

Come on Mr Middle Manager, who made the call to have McDonald's machines serve coffee at that temperature? Did McDonald's have no agency at all in determining the operating specs for machines in their tens of thousands of stores? Do they just leave all of their at the factory default like an 80yo grandmother with a cable modem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0