• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

suffering from OCD, please help me out!

adddddddd

May 18, 2023
✟8,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
hello everyone!!

i am really struggling with OCD lately. i am a Christian, a follower of Christ, and i know that i am saved by Jesus' blood.
but i also have OCD. i dealt with OCD even prior to becoming a Christian, which was a few years ago. but it was always about other things (like doubt, checking everything several times, and needing control over my environment/body).
but recently, i have been having these terrible thoughts. they always come back to this: "you do not really believe in Jesus/you are not really saved".

my OCD always targets the parts of my life that are most important to me, my absolute comfort, the thing that keeps me from slipping.
for example, prior to becoming to Christ, i was anorexic and my doubts were always about that.

i have been serving, loving, and trusting my Savior for nearly 2 years and luckily never had any OCD obsessions related to my faith. but lately, i have been barraged with these thoughts.

they are never really related to my sin, because i know that i'm a terrible sinner and that Christ took that burden from me, He took the Father's wrath upon Himself. and so i don't think my OCD is targeting that because it knows that i do not fear my sin, it does not have a hold on me anymore.

but if it can tell me that i am not really forgiven, that i do not believe, that would distress me.
these thoughts seem like they are straight from the enemy, from some messenger of Satan. and a lot of my OCD comes from my perceived inability to trust my own thoughts/memories/beliefs and so it targets that. for example- in less extreme cases of my OCD that i can bear- i double-check (and triple-check, and so on) locks, my belongings, ingredients, etc.

my hope is in Jesus. He will hold me fast. i look forward to the day when my faith shall be sight and i no longer have to put up with this. i will embrace my Savior with the biggest smile ever :"))

thank you everyone for reading, may the Lord bless you and keep you!

Reactions: SarahsKnight

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hello everyone!!

i am really struggling with OCD lately. i am a Christian, a follower of Christ, and i know that i am saved by Jesus' blood.
but i also have OCD. i dealt with OCD even prior to becoming a Christian, which was a few years ago. but it was always about other things (like doubt, checking everything several times, and needing control over my environment/body).
but recently, i have been having these terrible thoughts. they always come back to this: "you do not really believe in Jesus/you are not really saved".

my OCD always targets the parts of my life that are most important to me, my absolute comfort, the thing that keeps me from slipping.
for example, prior to becoming to Christ, i was anorexic and my doubts were always about that.

i have been serving, loving, and trusting my Savior for nearly 2 years and luckily never had any OCD obsessions related to my faith. but lately, i have been barraged with these thoughts.

they are never really related to my sin, because i know that i'm a terrible sinner and that Christ took that burden from me, He took the Father's wrath upon Himself. and so i don't think my OCD is targeting that because it knows that i do not fear my sin, it does not have a hold on me anymore.

but if it can tell me that i am not really forgiven, that i do not believe, that would distress me.
these thoughts seem like they are straight from the enemy, from some messenger of Satan. and a lot of my OCD comes from my perceived inability to trust my own thoughts/memories/beliefs and so it targets that. for example- in less extreme cases of my OCD that i can bear- i double-check (and triple-check, and so on) locks, my belongings, ingredients, etc.

my hope is in Jesus. He will hold me fast. i look forward to the day when my faith shall be sight and i no longer have to put up with this. i will embrace my Savior with the biggest smile ever :"))

thank you everyone for reading, may the Lord bless you and keep you!
Thank you so much for sharing! Religious OCD (scrupulosity) is very common in Christians. I too have had different OCD themes, but much of it scrupulosity. It sounds like you have a good understanding of OCD already. Are you currently getting any professional help for it (medication/therapy), or have you in the past?

I would be happy to discuss more about scrupulosity and its treatment if you'd like, or feel free to ask specific questions. Here are a few resources for starters:
Scrupulosity.com: Faith-based Solutions for Religious OCD - Scrupulosity.com
OCD and Scrupulosity Archives - ACCFS
Christianity and Anxiety Disorders - Let's Talk | Facebook (Private/closed Facebook support group)

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,066.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This advice seems boring and too easy, but its really effective: fix your sleep.

If your body will have enough of sleep for necessary repairs and maintenance, you will be much more resilient both physically and mentally.

Fixing our natural rhythm (of exercising, eating and sleeping) can solve tons of wide spread health problems.

Upvote 0