Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Some people say curse words themselves are the problem, some people think substitute words carry the same weight and feeling in your heart so those are sinful too. I have struggled with cursing ever since I got into it in middle school. Is saying words like 'fudge' 'duck' or 'monkeys' (some people at school do this, one girl says donkeys :? ) okay instead of full-on censor-worthy words or not?

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would not use any words meant to hurt others and i would not use any words that are deems offensive in the presence of those to find them offensive. I dont subscribe to labeling words good or bad.... It is all about their intended use and the perception of the people around which they are used.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I prefer to use no substitutes but don't condemn yourself.

It's a habit and you will be surrounded by people who do, which will rub off on you.

You are still called righteous through what Jesus did. :) Actually Righteous! Jesus imputed His righteousness onto you my sister. Don't feel bad, learn to accept it. I couldn't I felt guilty at first when I used to visualise putting on the armour of God. The breastplate of righteousness I felt like I didn't deserve last year. Now I realise that if I was the 'bestest' person in the world I still couldn't deserve it. It's through God's grace and love that we get to be righteous. Now when I put it on I feel cleansed, safe and grateful <3

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I used to use profanity quite habitually in my younger years. It was my lame attempt to be cool. Profanity can be understandable when you're facing a frustrating situation. Anger is directed at a situation, not a person. Swearing at someone is disrespectful. Try to avoid that especially.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟838,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT BRIEFLY ON
Officially: This is a topic worthy of discussion. I know it can be tricky to stay within the CF rules, but please try. Let's remember not to bypass the filter, which is as against the rules as saying the word is. For purposes of citing examples, it would be OK to say something like "a word that rhymes with...." if you have to.
MOD HAT OFF

Now, contributing as a member:

Some substitute words are better than others. I think of that story of the king who was looking to hire a royal chariot driver. Every one he interviewed bragged about how close they could come to the edge of that cliff over there without falling off the edge. Finally a candidate came along who said, "Your majesty, I'm too scared to go anywhere near that cliff." He was hired on the spot. I for one am uncomfortable with them if they cut it a little too close for comfort. I'm thinking specifically of the phrase "God bless America," which I used to use as an interjection until I realized that, like the swear word it substitutes for, it also contains His name. (OK, His title, if you want to get technical.) So I stopped using it in favor of "good gravy Marie," or "good golly Miss Molly," or something similar.

That comfort line divides at different spots for different people. Speaking purely from a standpoint of conditioned response, I would be fine with "cheese and crackers," but "cheesy crust" would make me flinch a little.

I have been rebuked by other (well-meaning, I'm sure) Christians for saying words like "heck" and "darn." They do make the argument that you're thinking the other words in your head, so saying the substitute is just as bad. I disagree. Either I really am thinking "heck," because that's what I've gotten used to saying, or I am trying to change my habit of saying something unseemly. If I do make a last-minute word swap, I don't actually think that's wrong. I think it's a way of reining myself in, practicing self-control.

I enjoy using more unusual, and therefore unexpected substitutes. "Mother goose" is a favorite interjection of mine. I also find myself saying "rats" a lot. Thank Charlie Brown for that one.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I have been rebuked by other (well-meaning, I'm sure) Christians for saying words like "heck" and "darn." They do make the argument that you're thinking the other words in your head, so saying the substitute is just as bad. I disagree. Either I really am thinking "heck," because that's what I've gotten used to saying, or I am trying to change my habit of saying something unseemly. If I do make a last-minute word swap, I don't actually think that's wrong. I think it's a way of reining myself in, practicing self-control.
Sorry to hear that. Harmless words like that enable you to let off some steam. Too much self-control turns us into starched shirts in my opinion.
I don't like the use of profanity to compensate for lack of vocabulary and repetition is absolutely disgusting. But the occasional use of the f word is totally understandable IMO. What about when you hit your hand with a hammer by accident? Might be Aussie culture too.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,387.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I hit myself by accident it's usually followed by a long "oh, sssssshhhhhhh..... MM! That hurt!"

But if you're saying a swear word as an every other word, or even substituting that swear word, it gets real old real fast and just makes you sound stupid.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I don't remember my father ever using one swear word. Not even "cor blimey". That was his nature though. The guy had little or no anger in him. He brought peace wherever he went.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never swear. I know what those words are. If one pops into my head I shrivel up, immediately ask God to totally embrace me in the Holy Spirit, blocking such ugly thoughts. Once I was blind, but now I see.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,387.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't remember my father ever using one swear word. Not even "cor blimey". That was his nature though. The guy had little or no anger in him. He brought peace wherever he went.
That's great! My dad curses like a sailor if he's really got his dander up! Actually, both of my parents do. Sometimes it gets to the point where I'm like, really guys? So little vocabulary in the house now? I remember a time when I had promises of getting my mouth washed out with soap if I ever said a swear word! Who needs the soap now? LOL

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We had a guy that was a mechanic in our truck shop where I used to work. He was a grown man, early 30's,but he used the f word more than anyone I ever heard. Many people avoided him it was so bad. I think he thought it was macho or made him sound tough, but I couldn't stand to be around him very long, it just grated on my nerves. He obviously wasn't saved, but also would tell us he was having trouble with his children being kicked off the school bus, and out of school for cussing teachers, sad really for the kids. Also they could not find a babysitter that would watch his kids. It was so bad it affected his work life, and children's lives.

My 16 year old daughter uses frickin quite often and that bothers me, I can see saying it when something unexpected or hurtful happens, but not just in normal conversation.

@*LILAC, don't use Lifeboy soap, I hear it causes blindness

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,387.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's from the movie, "Christmas Story", or have you never seen it?
Aaah, I just looked it up. I've heard of it but I haven't had the privilege of watching it yet. Something to add to the Christmas movie list! Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟838,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm wondering what curse word monkeys replaces, but sounds offensive either way, obviously depending on your environment ;)

I was wondering about that too. How is the word used? "Oh, monkeys" might be worth adding to my vocabulary. Related to the expressions "throw a monkey wrench into things" or "just monkeying around," if something goes wrong, I suppose we can say somebody "monkeyed it up." There is also the possibility of the word "monkeyshines" used the way I sometimes use "bullfrogs" or "bulldogs." That's in a context where many people would just leave it at "bull." But I like to put the "frogs" or "dogs" on there. Again, the appeal of the unexpected.

Sorry to hear that. Harmless words like that enable you to let off some steam. Too much self-control turns us into starched shirts in my opinion.
I don't like the use of profanity to compensate for lack of vocabulary and repetition is absolutely disgusting. But the occasional use of the f word is totally understandable IMO. What about when you hit your hand with a hammer by accident? Might be Aussie culture too.

There are even some established swear words I don't have a problem with, although I wouldn't use them here, of course, or in front of anyone it would offend. As long as a word doesn't attack someone, as a racist, ethnic, or sexist slur would do, or misuse the name of the Lord, I can't make a case against it. However, it does bother me when people get carried away. Dropping six or seven profanities into a single sentence, and they're not even angry, it's just the way they talk, I just don't get that.

Upvote 0

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people say curse words themselves are the problem, some people think substitute words carry the same weight and feeling in your heart so those are sinful too. I have struggled with cursing ever since I got into it in middle school. Is saying words like 'fudge' 'duck' or 'monkeys' (some people at school do this, one girl says donkeys :? ) okay instead of full-on censor-worthy words or not?
can be ok or not. depending on the context and situation you are in.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.