Studying the Bible.

teaspill

Jan 11, 2010
✟15,263.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't own a study Bible [which I'm only assuming has helpful notes and such to help you study the meaning of the things in the Bible], and I don't know when I'll be able to buy one.

As such, I'm wondering how I should go about beginning to study the Bible. I don't live near any Christians, and the Bible study group [that I travelled several kms to attend] broke up not long after I started to attend. I'm at a loss for how to study the Bible on my own.

For the record, I have a KJV, an audio NKJV [complete with mooing cows and baaing sheep in the background when Noah's Arc is being read!], a CEV and a searchable digital CEV. They're all gifts from friends.

JasperJackson

Sinner and Saint
Dec 31, 2007
Adelaide
✟16,893.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Hi teaspill,

When studying the Bible myself I find this method usually works well...
1. Pray
2. read verses
3. make a few notes on what the text says
4. note something you've learnt from the text
5. work out how you can apply the text to your life
6. pray

In terms of resources:
Bible Gateway
Download online sermons. I like John Piper and Mark Driscoll, but you'll have/develop your own favourites
CF (of course)
Bible Study Fellowship - see if there's a class near you (its free)

But, nothings compares to studying with other Christians. God wants us to live in fellowship, not isolated. That said, hopefully your church's Bible study groups will be restarting soon (they usually break over Christmas/New Year).
Just out of interest are you in Melbourne or country Vic?

Praying for you,
JJ

Reactions: sbbqb7n16
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You could try free online bible software if money is an issue. A lot of people use e-sword. My favorite is Bible Explorer. They have free commentaries with free bible editions, maps and dictionaries and such. Bible Explorer also has downloadable articles and discussion groups. There are other software out there that's quite good. That is how I am doing bible study by myself right now.

Also, software like e-sword and such often have bible study plans (read the bible in certain time periods), a place for you to make personal notes, and help with scripture memorization.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

capnator

Jan 20, 2006
Queensland the Sunshine state :)
✟8,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't worry about what you cannot understand, Just open with prayer for understanding and ask God to help you implement into your life the things you have understood so far.

Start in the Gospels and underline the things that stand out, then go back and review those things.

God will help you if you want to know the truth.

Upvote 0

epistemaniac

Mar 4, 2006
north central Indiana
✟1,528.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
remember that God the Holy Spirit has provided the church teachers, and nowhere does the bible teach you that you ought to "just pray" and start reading the Scriptures.. of course you must pray before you study the Word, but if the Holy Spirit can speak through you, you realize that the Holy Spirit speaks through others as well... as such, the writers of commentaries and study notes (if you cannot find a local body of believers which would have a pastor who could possibly help you with these issues) are going to be something youare wise in seeking out.... God could grant you all understanding by prayer, but usually... usually.. He uses means to accomplish His ends, and these ends are teachers... sorry if I seem a bit exercised about this, it just bothers me that some people urge others to read the Scriptures and just pray, that they do not need anyone's help understanding the Scriptures etc... but this is how all sorts of heretical views crop up, and as I said, the bible teaches us that God sends teachers to the church..

in any case, as you evidently have internet access, you could go to the following sites where there is literally a lifetime of resources to aid you in knowing God and His word better....

Desiring God :: God-centered resources from the ministry of John Piper

Monergism.com :: Classic Articles and Resources of the Historic Christian Faith

helps to bible study itself are at Monergism :: Hermeneutics

Reformed Theology from R.C. Sproul: Ligonier Ministries

White Horse Inn

there are a number of excellent online free education sites you can go to and listen to lectures which include a syllabus etc which will help you a great deal in maturing as a Christian... Dimensions offers a certificate for completing their courses, and it is not too much to say that if you went through these classes and lectures you would easily have the equivalent to a bach. degree in biblical studies from a good conservative Christian school...

Dimensions of the Faith

ockenga.gordonconwell.edu

Worldwide Classroom
Worldwide Classroom

and
RTS (Reformed Theological Seminary)
Free Reformed Theological Seminary Lectures on iTunes University
you will need to download and use itunes to access these excellent resources... through which there are innumerable other good resources.. Stand to Reason, William Lane Craig, Ravi Zacharias etc etc etc

blessings,
ken

Upvote 0

teaspill

Jan 11, 2010
✟15,263.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
JCFantasy23: Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't know that such Bible software even actually existed. They sound very handy. I think I might download either e-sword or Bible Explorer tomorrow. A study plan is just what I need, too, because I can't do a thing without deadlines!

How easy are these programs to use? I'm not the most tech-savvy person ever and I become easily frustrated when computers misbehave. Would you recommend one over the other for a person who isn't particularly brilliant with technological marvels?

seashale76: Thank you very much for providing me with those links, seashale76. I've saved them all to my bookmarks and will begin to go through them when I next have the time to sit at the computer for a while.

capnator: Thanks for the advice. The only problem is that I'm exactly the sort of person who does worry about what they don't understand! I worry and fret and analyse and over-analyse until I think I've developed an understanding of something. I haven't been praying before I read the Bible, though, so I must start to do that. :3 I can see how it would be beneficial, and I can't think of why I haven't done it before!

epistemaniac: Wow, Ken! You've given me so much information that I just don't know where to begin... :confused: I can't thank you enough for expending the effort it must have taken to round up all of those links for me! Thank you for voicing your opinion regarding the importance of teachers, too; I liked it when we had our Bible study group because we all taught each other and we would go to the pastor when we didn't understand a topic, so I think that having teachers - or at least groups - is a good thing for me.

I LOVE putting things on my iPod, and my iPod is the place to put things if I want to listen to them later, so thank you very much for supplying me with something that comes from iTunes. It's perfect for the sort of person I am. :D

Thank you all again. I appreciate the time you all took to reply to this thread and help me try to understand how to study the Bible. ^^ Even if I don't end up getting very far attempting to study it on my own, I sure do have a ton of resources to turn to now for assistance! ^_^

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
JCFantasy23: Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't know that such Bible software even actually existed. They sound very handy. I think I might download either e-sword or Bible Explorer tomorrow. A study plan is just what I need, too, because I can't do a thing without deadlines!

How easy are these programs to use? I'm not the most tech-savvy person ever and I become easily frustrated when computers misbehave. Would you recommend one over the other for a person who isn't particularly brilliant with technological marvels?

Very simple to use :) If you do an advanced search in the forums with the title "esword" you should see a few threads. I know a lot of people use it or another program like it. It comes with basic books, and then you can download additional ones if you would like from the esword (or whichever programs) website and install. Before bothering with downloading books (Most of free), I would just look at what it comes with and see if it suits you. Let me know if you have any other questions.:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums