Study: Majority of Catholics say church should emphasize social justice, the poor

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I meant million obviously. Sorry about that, this is the day my professional editor took off. Glad yours caught it.

Which country has 76 million people? I couldn't be bothered to read the link.

Just about a year ago there was a terrorist attack against an abortion clinic about an hour from me.

Upvote 0

catholicbybirth

St. Louis, pray for me.
Aug 11, 2012
Western Kentucky
✟17,029.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Just about a year ago there was a terrorist attack against an abortion clinic about an hour from me.

There is always terror going on inside of abortion clinics. I know those babies must be terrified, though they don't know what is happening to them.

Janice

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

There is always terror going on inside of abortion clinics. I know those babies must be terrified, though they don't know what is happening to them.

Janice

We are talking about acts of terrorism. Do you know what those are and how they differ from general terror or fear?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know to be honest I don't know where I got it. I thought I was posting US population nos. but man I was off.

I never claimed that these attacks didn't happen. I challenged Charlie's claim that pro-life terrorists were everywhere.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I never claimed that these attacks didn't happen. I challenged Charlie's claim that pro-life terrorists were everywhere.

I know. Charlie is wrong, they aren't everywhere. I know what he's getting at and I don't think I agree with his conclusion....that said, they are far too common and acts of terrorism against abortion clinics or their staffers are among the more common types of terrorist attacks in the US.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It should be pointed out that these attacks swing both ways.

They do...but we pro-lifers are /supposed/to be the ones who respect all life and the pro-choicers, we like to think, are /supposed/ to not respect life. We should expect more out of pro-lifers than we do out of pro-choicers.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They do...but we pro-lifers are /supposed/to be the ones who respect all life and the pro-choicers, we like to think, are /supposed/ to not respect life. We should expect more out of pro-lifers than we do out of pro-choicers.

We are dealing with human beings here. Abortion is an emotional issue and in any sizable group of people you are going to have those that will just go more extreme. That is the human condition regretfully. Just because a very, very small number of people go too far doesn't make the whole group terrorists.

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We are dealing with human beings here. Abortion is an emotional issue and in any sizable group of people you are going to have those that will just go more extreme. That is the human condition regretfully. Just because a very, very small number of people go too far doesn't make the whole group terrorists.

The same should be said of Muslims.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Yes, I think that pro-life and pro-choice positions become too simplified. There are situations where the mother's life is saved when pregnancy is terminated--such as the 9-year old girl in South America who was impregnated with twins from being raped by her stepfather.

When it is a literal choice between three lives lost or two lives lost, should the law allow the girl's mother to make that choice? Or should the law allow the Church to make the choice?

Also, is it reasonable to ask the Church for more theology to be developed as to the lesser evil of those two choices?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
do you not think fetuses/babies are sentient until they pop out of the birth canal?

Answer the question directly, please. There's no nered to squirm, you're better than that. You can say "well, some unborn children can likely experience a sort of terror that is similar to what we process but it is not likely that the unborn can do so at all stages of development."

You might also add in the note that for the child, being aborted might not be remarkably more terrifying that the natural birthing process, given what the child's experiences to that point have been.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
You might also add in the note that for the child, being aborted might not be remarkably more terrifying that the natural birthing process, given what the child's experiences to that point have been.

There is probably a good reason our memories do not stretch back that far.

I'm always a bit amused at what is assumed when some questions are asked, such as my position on the sentience of a child.

Upvote 0