Study: Even Infrequent Use of Marijuana Increases Risk of Psychosis by 40 Percent

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I will.

You know, I think I just connected California's Medical MaryJane law with the election of the gover-nator. Interesting ;)
Keep trying, but you got the idea. Think about stuff like; who made a completely crazy movie about 911 and why his eyes are always looking in different directions from one another. I am telling you this connects a bunch of dots on the wacko meter. The current congress is only intrested in the taking down the AG. Whats going on in their heads, is the AG watching them from the sky? Hmmm, could be...

Upvote 0

SeraphymCrashing

Jun 21, 2007
✟16,161.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I love how the article really tries to make it sound like if you smoke you have a 40% precent chance of going crazy, when the research really says its a 40% greater chance. The regular risk is ~.5% (thats half of 1%) so 40% more would be ~.7% (still less than 1%).

Woo, look out for all the crazy people, in a nation of 300 million, marijuana use could contribute for up to 800 people being crazy.

Upvote 0

Peterk45

Jul 3, 2007
✟7,911.00
Faith
Other Religion
Keep trying, but you got the idea. Think about stuff like; who made a completely crazy movie about 911 and why his eyes are always looking in different directions from one another. I am telling you this connects a bunch of dots on the wacko meter. The current congress is only intrested in the taking down the AG. Whats going on in their heads, is the AG watching them from the sky? Hmmm, could be...
Well it's not like AG hasn't done some pretty heinous things, so it's important. And don't say that current congress is only interested in taking him down, there's a lot of other things going on, but sadly, they're vetoed by our current president for daring to have another view than he has. Ehh, I do see your attempt for humor in that one but it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Thanks for the link, I'm not buying the result as truth since it seems to contradict many others, but the more we know about this matter the better, not like I use marihuana anyway.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I love how the article really tries to make it sound like if you smoke you have a 40% precent chance of going crazy, when the research really says its a 40% greater chance. The regular risk is ~.5% (thats half of 1%) so 40% more would be ~.7% (still less than 1%).

Woo, look out for all the crazy people, in a nation of 300 million, marijuana use could contribute for up to 800 people being crazy.
check your math

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Alcoholism is real and destroys families (like mine).

If you support the prohibition on toking, you should support a new ban on drinking. Smoking and driving doesn't kill nearly as many as drinking and driving.

So, lets ban alcohol right?
I am not for a ban. But we should know the results of the choices people make in life and consider those as we choose leaders.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peterk45

Jul 3, 2007
✟7,911.00
Faith
Other Religion
I am not for a ban. But we should know the results of the choices people make in life and consider those as we choose leaders.
Definately, no new information can be harmful. And with alcohol, the added benefit of it is how long it has been used, and the amount of education we can give about the proper use. And as for marihuana, we're still mapping out the effects.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Definately, no new information can be harmful. And with alcohol, the added benefit of it is how long it has been used, and the amount of education we can give about the proper use. And as for marihuana, we're still mapping out the effects.
I agree. I am guessing, but playing with the numbers, 2 tenths of one percent, I see a possible 600,000 paranoid schizophrenics just from my generation. What are they doing today? Teaching? Politics?

Upvote 0

SeraphymCrashing

Jun 21, 2007
✟16,161.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
check your math

Ok, I'll walk you through this since you can't seem to grasp it:

From the article: The prevalence of schizophrenia is believed to be about five in 1,000 people

5/1000 = .5%
.5% * 1.4 (a 40% increase) = .7%

its not that hard.

If you are referring to the 800 people going crazy from REEFER MADNESS thats whats quoted in the article.

I realize that not all 300 million people smoke pot, so they aren't all at risk, but the absurdity of claiming some kind of problem when its 800 cases is well... absurd.

Considering that in 2000 85,000 people died of alcohol related incidents in America alone responding to 800 cases a year as if its some kind of epidemic is stupid.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I wish people would read these stories :doh:

The researchers said they couldn't prove that marijuana use itself increases the risk of psychosis, a category of several disorders with schizophrenia being the most commonly known.
There could be something else about marijuana users, "like their tendency to use other drugs or certain personality traits, that could be causing the psychoses," Zammit said.
The article isn't saying that using marijuana increases their chances for being psychotic, it is saying that marijuana use may lead people to try other drugs that may lead to psychosis, or they are just psychotic anyway.

Upvote 0

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
A thread about pot and it only took 5 posts for Michael Moore and Al Gore to come up.

Global warming
Abortion
Homosexuality
Communism

There, now it is complete.

I wonder what the statistical probability that one of the above will be mentioned in any single thread at CF even if the original topic has nothing to do with them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A thread about pot and it only took 5 posts for Michael Moore and Al Gore to come up.

Global warming
Abortion
Homosexuality
Communism

There, now it is complete.

I wonder what the statistical probability that one of the above will be mentioned in any single thread at CF even if the original topic has nothing to do with them?
I knew it would all come out :)

The idea of the OP was to relate my personal experience with pot heads and the fact that this rings true to my experiences. 4 years in the military and 4 years in college from 1968 - 1976. I made a ton of friends who smoked pot, did LSD, you name it. Many of them are gone today, but in life they were a buch of nut cases for the most part. There are a few excpetions, but very few.

Oh, and for another responce above yours:

I don't drink for the same reasons I never took up other drugs. There is no doubt that pot smoking, drinking, and the use of other drugs are connected issues. Adding the .2% change based upon pot use is a flaw in the article. The one person I never met was the pot smoker that did not drink to excess ro would not take LSD. I never met one, I am 58 years old and in a ministry to bikers. Pot smokers are only pot smokers becuase the lable comes along with the illegal drug you get caught with.
The person I meet all the time is the one that says they only do pot. But so far in 58 years it's been proven a 100% lie.

I question any data that comes from asking drug users questions.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To the response 2 posts (#16) above this one.

Perhaps all the psychotic people you met were that way because of the LSD?

Other than that, the AP article title is misleading, and there is no actual proof that marijuana use causes psychosis.
Perhaps we will never know, you sure can't ask them, which leaves us with observation and as we can see from this thread that will never work.

I do have an idea though.
Let's say you ask all pot smokers if Bush blew up the trade towers and they answer yes in a large percentage. That might work.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps we will never know, you sure can't ask them, which leaves us with observation and as we can see from this thread that will never work.

I do have an idea though.
Let's say you ask all pot smokers if Bush blew up the trade towers and they answer yes in a large percentage. That might work.
I am sorry, but none of this makes any sense. I was responding to the topic, and the topic says nothing about Bush and 9/11.

Upvote 0