Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,151,107.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
How do you expect to use a study Bible? The problem is that you probably want two Bibles, one when you're reading for meaning, and one when you need to know the exact wording (typically for use with a commentary).

It's a tradeoff you just can't get rid of. There are enough differences in the structure of the Biblical languages, and between their culture and ours that you aren't going to understand a literal translation as well as one that is meaning for meaning. However there are times when you're doing work that will require you to know the details of the original wording.

Generally I would expect the study Bible to be on the literal end, and the Bible you normally use a translation that will give you the meaning better. For a study Bible I would use NRSV or ESV. There are older translations in the same space, but unless you buy into the KJV/majority text stuff, I think the ESV or NRSV are now the best. Most CF readers will prefer the ESV.

Other translations talked about here would be for your other Bible. There are a bunch of alternatives. Which you use depends upon your theological orientation and your preference for just how free your second translation should be. The NIV is a fine translation, as long as you're willing to accept an evangelical slant on the text. It's one of several reasonable candidates for evangelicals. But I'd prefer a more literal translation for a study Bible.

Personally I use a different set of translations than I typically recommend, because most CF readers reject the scholarship on which the translations I prefer are based. I use NRSV for study and REB, Good News Bible/TEV or NT Wright's new Kingdom Bible for reading. However these Bibles leave the OT text as the original Jewish readers would have understood it, rather showing it as consist with the NT, use gender-neutral language where the originals are gender-neutral, and make other choices that most CF readers think are wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0