Students Face Impeachment, Probation, for attending tequilla-themed party

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Oh OK so other people cannot say what's appropriate for other cultures ... but YOU get to tell others that their cultures don't even exist? Sorry, but such hypocrisy is repulsive. In case you have forgotten, Christ came down hardest on the hypocrites.
What is white culture? Do the French, Italian, Spanish, Turkish and Polish see their culture as the same? They do not share the same language, customs, beliefs, etc., yet somehow they are a singular culture? Right.

I think we already know how it plays out when people affirm their whiteness. Maybe you're right, there are people that are constantly affirming their whiteness, I just didn't think you want to be associated with them.

So, anyway, who are you to tell these students what is or is not offensive to their culture? Do you even know their culture? Who died and made you boss, that you can tell them what is or is not offensive or significant to their culture? Who are you to say they should make it significant to their culture when bigots from another culture get their noses all bent because someone wore a hat?
I simply pointed out that Mexican students are speaking out and their comments about trivializing their culture. Where did I tell these students what is or not offensive to their culture? This is nothing more than a shallow attempt to say I am dictating something. Since you are trying to turn this into a poor white people thread, since when was "white culture" defined by the necessity to mischaracterize other cultures?

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think we already know how it plays out when people affirm their whiteness. Maybe you're right, there are people that are constantly affirming their whiteness, I just didn't think you want to be associated with them.

Is it any worse for white people to "affirm" their whiteness than it is for others to affirm their ethnicity? Is it only bad when white folks do it?

"

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Is it any worse for white people to "affirm" their whiteness than it is for others to affirm their ethnicity? Is it only bad when white folks do it?

"
BINGO! @nightflight wins the thread.

You hit the nail on the head. Like @SummerMadness said: we've seen what happens when people affirm their whiteness. Blacks can affirm their blackness. Yellows can affirm their maize, that's OK. The bottom line is: there is something worse when white people do "it". Whatever "IT" may be. That's because it's not the IT they are doing that is wicked, it's the doers themselves.

I mean, I've heard Japanese and Taiwanese refer to Christianity as a "white culture thing" pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty of times. And that's OK; they may be affirming whiteness, but they are not white people affirming whiteness. THAT is the problem: we can't let white people in general have a culture, affirm it, or even pretend to engage in somewhat off-white cultural things like tequilla parties with sombreros.... because we know what happens when white people affirm their whiteness....it's like Gandalf when he says "That is the black speech of Mordor, which I will not utter here..."

All joking aside: what I wrote may sound like some loony bin nonsense, but it's how they think. Occasionally they let this stuff slip: they seriously believe it's morally reprehensible for white people to affirm their own whiteness, but virtuous and good when others do it. This is the premise that lurks behind their reasoning, and it is a matter of prudence and responsibility not to forget it.

It really is an irrational fear of whiteness: leukophobia. It is real, and it is dangerous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
BINGO! @nightflight wins the thread.

You hit the nail on the head. Like @SummerMadness said: we've seen what happens when people affirm their whiteness. Blacks can affirm their blackness. Yellows can affirm their maize, that's OK. The bottom line is: there is something worse when white people do "it". Whatever "IT" may be. That's because it's not the IT they are doing that is wicked, it's the doers themselves.
Except that Black culture is not a term that corresponds to all people of African descent. Black culture arose because of racism in the United States and it is not very accurate, as it refers to African American culture. People from the Caribbean, Latin America or African nations do not constitute "black culture." Unless your point is that white culture refers to White American culture, that is a culture wholly based on system of racism and subjugation. Had racism not been the flavor of the century for hundreds of years, there would be no black culture (owing its descriptor to slavery and segregation).

What are Yellows?

I mean, I've heard Japanese and Taiwanese refer to Christianity as a "white culture thing" pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty of times. And that's OK; they may be affirming whiteness, but they are not white people affirming whiteness. THAT is the problem: we can't let white people in general have a culture, affirm it, or even pretend to engage in somewhat off-white cultural things like tequilla parties with sombreros.... because we know what happens when white people affirm their whiteness....it's like Gandalf when he says "That is the black speech of Mordor, which I will not utter here..."
Mexico is a diverse country, it is not just a country of "brown people." There are people of African, European, indigenous American ancestry in Mexico. Louis CK is of Mexican descent. Do white Mexicans constitute white culture?

Use whatever word you like.
It's a simple question, is White now an ethnicity?

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Except that Black culture is not a term that corresponds to all people of African descent. Black culture arose because of racism in the United States and it is not very accurate, as it refers to African American culture. People from the Caribbean, Latin America or African nations do not constitute "black culture." Unless your point is that white culture refers to White American culture, that is a culture wholly based on system of racism and subjugation. Had racism not been the flavor of the century for hundreds of years, there would be no black culture (owing its descriptor to slavery and segregation).

What are Yellows?

Well I guess this brings up a road block. If Yellows cannot exist, how can Whites? If Whites do not exist, how can it be dangerous for them to affirm their whiteness --they don't exist? Help me out here, I'm trying to play the game your way.

At the end of the day, you're trying to force Mexican culture on Americans. Stop it.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What are Yellows?

Mexico is a diverse country, it is not just a country of "brown people." There are people of African, European, indigenous American ancestry in Mexico. Louis CK is of Mexican descent. Do white Mexicans constitute white culture?

It's a simple question, is White now an ethnicity?

I used that word because I thought it was neutral. If I had used "race" then someone might have responded that race doesn't exist. Use whatever word you like.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Well I guess this brings up a road block. If Yellows cannot exist, how can Whites? If Whites do not exist, how can it be dangerous for them to affirm their whiteness --they don't exist? Help me out here, I'm trying to play the game your way.
What are Yellows? You still haven't provided any clarity of what whiteness entails and how that trumps the cultures and customs of the groups you include in that group. You alluded to France and Italy being a part of white culture, but they're rather dissimilar (language, customs, societal norms, diet, etc.).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
These students were not celebrating Cinco de Mayo, why are you bringing it up?

It's like your completely unable to keep up with your own points.

Tequila parties where people don Mexican-style sombreros are now a Mexican holiday/tradition? News to me.

Being born in the United States does not mean one does not share the culture of their parents or the culture of the community? Cuban Americans born in Miami have strong Cuban roots because their culture is promoted and preserved in the city. Likewise, many Mexican Americans see their culture preserved in communities across TX, NM, AZ, and CA (not only these states either).
I guess that would depend upon if you think, "mexican american" "cuban american" etc etc etc culture is the same as the culture of Mexico/Cuba. Protip: They aren't.

One of the students filing the article of impeachment from Los Angeles. One of the students that spoke at the public forum is from Arizona, his parents immigrated to the country before he was born, his mother is currently barred from returning do to overstaying her visa.
Source?

alleged : said to have happened but not yet proven

Did I miss something here? Your conversation is alleged.
Is there any reason other than spite to think I'm lying about it?

You keep saying people are being offended on behalf of others, assuming everyone to be non-Hispanic white, when that is not true.
Again, that's not true. I don't understand why this is difficult for you to understand.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is all very detailed and right on. Just remember: it doesn't matter. If you get all bent out of shape because someone wore a sombrero to a tequilla drinking party then you have issues and likely need a therapist. There are diners in India that are "America" themed, and the waiters wear cowboy hats. Oh dear, better poop my pants now! Right?

That's one of the more offensive aspects of the whole issue. When something like that is done to what is considered american culture people would think you were insane for getting upset about it.

But it's totally ok for someone from a non-american, non-western country to do so because the people who promote perma offended culture see non-western people as children who need to be coddled.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, he did.

I almost died when he said that. How naive can you get??

My FIL for example grew up in ghetto, and was poor. They finally took him to an orphanage, because they could no longer feed him. lol yet, I guess he had no clue what it was to be poor.

Reactions: TerranceL
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It's like your completely unable to keep up with your own points.
Cinco de Mayo is not a tequila party.

I guess that would depend upon if you think, "mexican american" "cuban american" etc etc etc culture is the same as the culture of Mexico/Cuba. Protip: They aren't.
Right... they have to be completely the same for them to share any cultural identity. It's always all or none, that's a very intelligent way of looking at things.

I could link to their student profiles, interviews they've given or editorials they've written, but would it really matter? You said the College Reform website has as much information as the Bowdoin Orient, where a student talks about her actual Mexican background and the region of Mexico where here family is from. What would linking to that editorial do then?

http://dailysun.bowdoin.edu/2015/09...-rosa-16-and-his-family-arizona-public-media/
http://bowdoinorient.com/article/10976

Is there any reason other than spite to think I'm lying about it?
Alleged does not mean lying, you just have no proof of your conversation, I never said you were lying, I'm simply pointing out that saying you had a conversation with a person does not invalidate these students or speak to the general attitudes of Mexicans.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour

At the end of the day, you're trying to force Mexican culture on Americans. Stop it.
Whites only exist en bloc when you're criticising them.

White privilege exists and is totally a thing. White culture? That doesn't exist and you're probably from Stormfront, you racist!

Upvote 0