Students demand end to bullying by other students.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Didn't?

National School Walkout: Live Updates
(has nice photo too)
This is a NewYorkCity paper, and their local reporting says:
Thousands of students around New York, many backed by permission slips from their parents, walked out of their schools and converged on central locations — Columbus Circle, Battery Park, Brooklyn Borough Hall, Lincoln Center.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They do not want to get gunned down with semi-auto guns. They are yet children and did nothing to deserve the Parkland massacre.

And they should be treated as children, not as serious adults.

• Winner
Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They do not want to get gunned down with semi-auto guns. They are yet children and did nothing to deserve the Parkland massacre.

It seems to me that the effects of bullying is a far greater problem than school shootings; albeit much less dramatic.

Bullying and Suicide - Bullying Statistics

The statistics on bullying and suicide are alarming:

• Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.
  • Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's amazing what students simultaneously and independently decide to do with no prompting or encouragement from anyone.

You don't seriously believe that do you?

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You don't seriously believe that do you?

It's especially impressive how they can make professionally made signs and quickly decide on unified chants.

But what is shameful about this story is how some schools are punishing students by saying that they have unexcused absences, just because they didn't come to school on a school day without having a valid reason for not being there. They should support students in whatever they want to protest and let them protest for as long as there are issues to protest. (And as a side bonus if students were to protest everyday, it would be impossible for any student to get shot inside of a school.)

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Yeah, we tried that a few years ago, but a bunch of right-wingers got bent out of shape because they thought anti-bullying measures were backdoor (no pun intended) methods of promoting teh gheys.

Bullying legislation prompts opposition from conservative groups

(I'm positive we discussed this numerous times on this site, but the search function seems more limited now than it used to be, and I can't find anything)

And they should be treated as children, not as serious adults.

Wanting only serious adults to weigh in on a subject is rather at odds with your statements in the thread about firearms research.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's especially impressive how they can make professionally made signs and quickly decide on unified chants.

Yeah, because either of those take a long time.

• Agree
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Wow, just saw this detail from your link:

Walkout goes global
From Israel to Tanzania, students across the globe also left their classrooms Wednesday in solidarity with the American students' movement. ...

How interesting! I will want to see this so I'll have to look up video or watch the evening news some.

It's great that in diverse places young people really care about others enough to be showing it this way.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, we tried that a few years ago, but a bunch of right-wingers got bent out of shape because they thought anti-bullying measures were backdoor (no pun intended) methods of promoting teh gheys.

Bullying legislation prompts opposition from conservative groups

(I'm positive we discussed this numerous times on this site, but the search function seems more limited now than it used to be, and I can't find anything)

Yep, it would seem that many folks only want to invoke "bullying is the cause" logic when it serves the purpose of deflecting blame away from the gun lobby.

If there were no guns involved in this particular conversation, and it was just a conversation about bullying in general, many of the same folks would be claiming that "they're just trying to coddle them" and "the kids need to toughen up" and of course, the aspect that you mentioned, which is that the groups that happen to be the target of the most severe bullying just so happens to be the group that many right-wing folks feel they have a moral obligation to publicly criticize and ostracize and suggesting otherwise prompts them to make accusations about people being "overly-PC" and/or "leftist ploys to attack Christianity".

From a personal perspective, I don't think that anyone, who makes a fuss about FRC being on the SPLC hate map, has any room to talk about the subject of bullying.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The Tea Party rallies did the same thing didn't they?...yet they still claimed to be a spontaneous grassroots movement.

What are you getting at?

I don't know why there's this notion that protests/movements from the right wing are always organic and 100% grassroots, yet, anything that comes from the left wing and it's just assumed that 'someone put them up to it', or "it was organized by the globalists", "George Soros...." etc... etc...

I think it's a fairly arrogant position to have to always just assume that a independently thinking person can't come to a conclusion different to one's own.

Are some people encouraged to get involved with certain things by peer pressure or by believing propaganda without doing research, sure...however, that's not a problem that's exclusive to the left. For every liberal kid who participated in a walk-out for a left wing cause, there's a right wing adult who formed their opinion based on literature from "Americans for Prosperity" or some right wing radio program.

At least the kids have an excuse, they're only 16 years old...I expect them to be more impressionable...what's the excuse for the 58% of republican adults who believed the birther theories?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow, just saw this detail from your link:

Walkout goes global
From Israel to Tanzania, students across the globe also left their classrooms Wednesday in solidarity with the American students' movement. ...

How interesting! I will want to see this so I'll have to look up video or watch the evening news some.

It's great that in diverse places young people really care about others enough to be showing it this way.

It's called a "flash mob".

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wanting only serious adults to weigh in on a subject is rather at odds with your statements in the thread about firearms research.

Not sure I know what you are referring to. Remind me where I said something contradictory and I'll address it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yep, it would seem that many folks only want to invoke "bullying is the cause" logic when it serves the purpose of deflecting blame away from the gun lobby.

The presence of guns doesn't lead to bullying, however bullying may lead to the presence of guns (it's a logic thing).

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not sure I know what you are referring to. Remind me where I said something contradictory and I'll address it.

Your entire approach in that thread has been to reject the experience of the "serious adults" who actually understand the science and who understand how to construct thorough research studies, instead favoring some sort of haphazard folksy approach that, I infer, can be conducted by nearly anybody.

You seem to expect the protesting students to keep their positions grounded in facts and research, yet are allow yourself the luxury of entertaining factless dogma.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your entire approach in that thread has been to reject the experience of the "serious adults" who actually understand the science and who understand how to construct thorough research studies, instead favoring some sort of haphazard folksy approach that, I infer, can be conducted by nearly anybody.

You seem to expect the protesting students to keep their positions grounded in facts and research, yet are allow yourself the luxury of entertaining factless dogma.

So I didn't actually defer to the judgment of kids, did I.

I do challenge the experts (the bean counters) as they don't know what they're talking about regarding gun violence because they have never taken the time to study the issue. If they had they would come to different conclusions. What is telling is that our legislators seems to have a pretty good grasp of the issue based on the fact that they discount most of the advise of the experts. Let's just hope they continue.

Upvote 0