West of Mississippi
✟417,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Authoritarian? God does have the authority to say what he says and it is obey him or die, especially in repentance as far as I can see. But we obey him becoz we want too. But that is why God is not legalistic, becoz he knows our hearts. I sin with the best of them( not sins unto death).but I’m not going to hell in my understanding because I’m sincerely sorry and my affliction is great. He forgives me and I start again, stronger.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have the feeling that most conventional Christian theology or philosophy has authoritarian elements, even though many Christians wouldn't admit it or just say it.

The fallen world we live in has authoritarian elements in which affects our condition. For the common good we are told to be obedient but live by faith in keeping the commandments. Secular situations vary affecting how much we may strive or, hopefully, thrive.

Much of this is a coping mechanism to get us through our earthly life to attain the heavenly life as St. Paul attests in Philippians 3:20.

The Lord tells us to render unto Caesar (secular authorities ) what are theirs & unto God what is God’s ( see Matthew 22:16-22). St.Paul also explains our dealings with the secular authorities & keeping the Lord’s commandments in Romans 13 & ultimately explains how we need to get beyond it ( again, Philippians 3:20 applies here). In fact, all of Philippians 3 is a corollary here.

I also believe this is what is applicable to what the Lord says about the dangers of gaining the world or losing our souls ( Matthew 16:24-28).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Authoritarian? God does have the authority to say what he says and it is obey him or die, especially in repentance as far as I can see. But we obey him becoz we want too. But that is why God is not legalistic, becoz he knows our hearts. I sin with the best of them( not sins unto death).but I’m not going to hell in my understanding because I’m sincerely sorry and my affliction is great. He forgives me and I start again, stronger.

All said though, I forget sometimes to think I would rather obey God and go to Heaven than go to Hell, especially if that is the ONLY alternative.

Upvote 0