✟24,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi all,

I'm stuck in a rut of thinking angry, bitter thoughts about my ex. I basically hate him, and it's horrible. It's good that we broke up, it was best for both of us. But I keep thinking of different rude ways to talk to him; there's a chance we're both going to be invited to the same Thanksgiving dinner (neither of us have family in the area, though if he's still with his new girlfriend I imagine he'll just go to her parents' place). And so, I'm sort of dreading that. How do I act, what do I say, etc. We're not on speaking terms, and I just hate that I'm so bitter towards him and that I did such a 180 from loving him to practically hating him.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For your own peace, find a way to forgive him. Imagine standing on the edge of hell with him. You can push him in if you so desire.
I am betting you will not.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Avoid the bitterness. It is already having you feel you shouldn't be where you are invited to be. Your world is still your own. Showing you are strong and not incomplete without a partner is better than any bitterness and hatred which your ex might expect of you. Surprise him. It is natural to go through emotions such as this, especially if there has been betrayal, but soon enough this too shall pass and you'll wonder why you bothered when there is so much more for you out there. You survived childhood and the change in friends, you'll survive this and have learned in the meantime something new to apply to other relationships.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We need to forgive, because apart from the trouble the other person caused us, we are going to miss the blessings and forgiveness of God? the bible states that if we don't forgive Gods blessings and forgiveness can't work properly. Then after we forgive God could heal our heart.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is okay to acknowledge your feelings i.e. you're mad because he hurt you and you are still hurting but I have learned one thing in life; bitterness affects us more than the person who harmed us.

We ruminate and use a lot of energy, all negative, when we focus on things that do not uplift ourselves or others.

So, allow yourself the anger and hurt e.g. 30 minutes each day, and then pause your thoughts and feelings and challenge them by telling yourself that it's okay to have felt/thought in a certain way but also okay to move on.

Hopefully, by Thanksgiving, you will be in a better place.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2023
The South
✟9,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I’m sorry for what you are going through. I think YorkieGal is right, and you will be in a better place by Thanksgiving. You’ve received good input here about forgiveness, but I understand the feelings that are getting in the way currently.

Regarding the dinner, you have a few options to feel more in control of your emotions.

A) If it’s going to be a struggle for you and you won’t enjoy the evening, you aren’t required to go to the Thanksgiving dinner. You’re not being rude. You aren’t required to face him to prove anything. Go out to eat. Throw yourself a party. Go to a church service. Go help feed the homeless

B) If this particular community of people is very important to you and you would be disappointed if you didn’t attend, you can mentally prepare how to rip the band-aid off when you arrive and tell him something like, “This is awkward and I don’t know how to talk to you, but I’m going to try to enjoy the evening.” Kind of breaks the evil spell over the rest of the night. I wish that was how I had handled my own awkward ex party.

I pray and trust the Lord will heal the anger and bitterness.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like you're saying he was your boyfriend and you were not married.

You need to get with God and mature Christian people who help you grow in Jesus. And get wise to whatever made you able to be fooled into falling for him. Or else, your own ways can work to get the same result with someone else like him.

Bitterness, of course, can keep you busy with criticizing him, instead of getting with Jesus and discovering how Jesus is trustworthy to guide you in how you trust people.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi all,

I'm stuck in a rut of thinking angry, bitter thoughts about my ex. I basically hate him, and it's horrible. It's good that we broke up, it was best for both of us. But I keep thinking of different rude ways to talk to him; there's a chance we're both going to be invited to the same Thanksgiving dinner (neither of us have family in the area, though if he's still with his new girlfriend I imagine he'll just go to her parents' place). And so, I'm sort of dreading that. How do I act, what do I say, etc. We're not on speaking terms, and I just hate that I'm so bitter towards him and that I did such a 180 from loving him to practically hating him.
If you're a Christian you need to fill your spirit and mind with Bible teaching about walking in LOVE, and showing forgiveness. We told we're to pray for our trespasses (or sins) to be forgiven as we forgive those who trespass against us. Not saying it's easy but Jesus didn't tell us things would be easy all the time. It's a lot harder though retaining hate, strife and unforgiveness towards others. It opens our lives up to feeling tormented.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

LaundrySoap

Jul 3, 2022
Nowhere
✟24,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm trying; I keep praying for God's help to forgive him. I know I need to do this. I WANT to do this. I liked that analogy of, if given the chance to push him into he'll, would I? (No, I would not.)
I keep thinking these angry, bitter thoughts. He is my BROTHER in CHRIST; even if he wasn't, this is sinful.
How am I supposed to feel when I've forgiven him? It's like, one minute I feel peace and I feel like I'm forgiving him, and then later I'm angry again.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You keep forgiving him, trusting God to have you forgive better. We need to grow in Jesus so we grow better in how we forgive.

Yes, Satan can bring back memories even after we have forgiven a person; but each time a bad memory comes, we can forgive the person better and pray better for the person; because we have grown and matured in how we love since the last time Satan attacked us with a bad memory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you (in Ephesians 4:31-32)

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do." (in Luke 23:34)

If we are going to get into close relating, we need to be ready to forgive and be longsuffering >

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

"Do all things without complaining and disputing," (Philippians 2:14)

This is basic for loving. If anything even starts in us to get us to complain or argue, fight that, right away . . . instead of fighting with a person.

And pray until you are in agreement, or go no further with someone who is tempting you to fight and argue and complain.

If you both pray until you are obeying God, He will guide you in peaceful agreement. And His peace will satisfy you. And yes you will feel this peace.

Or, He in His peace will guide you not to get close to a wrong person. And He will give you wisdom how to get clear.

I have seen a number of people who could put on quite a show of being saved . . . until they got isolated with someone they wanted to use.

But Jesus is our Shepherd. We can hear His voice so we do not get fooled together with wrong or immature people. He will guide us about who to trust and how God wants us to trust each person.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's like, one minute I feel peace and I feel like I'm forgiving him, and then later I'm angry again.
It's like overcoming an addiction.
However, consider this. We all start out the same but life has a way of molding us into who we are. Have you asked yourself what made him the way he is and to do the things he did? That might help lessen the anger as we learn to see people as a case of 'there but for the grace of God, go I'.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm trying; I keep praying for God's help to forgive him. I know I need to do this. I WANT to do this. I liked that analogy of, if given the chance to push him into he'll, would I? (No, I would not.)
I keep thinking these angry, bitter thoughts. He is my BROTHER in CHRIST; even if he wasn't, this is sinful.
How am I supposed to feel when I've forgiven him? It's like, one minute I feel peace and I feel like I'm forgiving him, and then later I'm angry again.
I know this is long but I hope you read this or at least someone will for I'm going to spill my guts here to help you. Or at least somebody. Even right now in my life, if I'm speaking of my natural mind I feel hurt, pain and anguish in regard to words of unkindness spoken to me by another. Let's just say this went on for a couple of years and in one sense they became like a thorn in the flesh ...I wondered if I was going to lose my mind. No matter what I sought to walk in love towards them and sometimes they'd appreciate it and sometimes they'd go off the

rails again and go, blah, blah, blah.....just more things of hurt. I actually lead them on their death bed to the Lord. I prayed for them to repeat, "Lord forgive me sins".....they looked at me with the thought, what do you mean my sins, but I quickly asserted but we've all sinned myself included all of us not just you alone.....they felt comfortable then accepting oh yes I'm a sinner....and they asked for God's forgiveness and asked Jesus into their life. Did i have time to get into any deep theology about many things? Nope....but neither did the thief on the cross get all that. God showed him mercy. They died a few days later but I do have the Blessed Hope they are saved.

OK now the pain and hurt and the anger of the past hanging over my head like a cloud......how did I and I'm still doing it now....get over it? HERE'S HOW. This will change your whole mental state if you allow it. You need to get bold and locked in to what you should be believing, and how you should be seeing them. If you don't get bold the devilish pain with still get you down. Don't allow it too. Take decisive action against it. Here's what you should consider and here's how you should view them.

Yes they had sinned....but see them through the BLOOD that is the BLOOD of Jesus. When you choose to see them through the blood of Jesus what do you see? You see them pure and holy without blame before God in love and you see them justified! Just as if they'd never sinned. Remember.....that how you want God to see you right? Now if you want God to see you that way God says then you choose to see others that way. Now that's something you have to do by faith, I get that BUT that's what you do.

Remember now the King story....one who had a great debt and he asked the Lord to forgive it?? Well he did, BUT you know what happened next.....he saw his fellow servant who sinned against him and he did not forgive him and I'm guessing you know that what the Lord said about that correct? Wasn't a good end for the one who wouldn't forgive even when they didn't feel like it.

So see them through the blood! The only sign you're doing that is whether of not by faith you're going to treat them just as if they'd never sinned. Is it easy? No, no, no, no it' not. But you and I and everyone better to this and do it as fast as possible. Do not allow bitterness and offence to fester in your spirit.

Cut it out and boldly declare NO, NO, NO I'm going to by faith treat them and talk to them as if they're justified. So remember....you are NOT perfect, I am not perfect and let's not condemn others for not being the same. God Bless You and help you. You CAN overcome this but you've got to make the decision you're going to.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm trying; I keep praying for God's help to forgive him.
And so maybe some of the words of wisdom people are sharing with you here might help you. Remember could be God speaking to you.

I know I need to do this. I WANT to do this.
I've shared some other things in a post....here's few more tips....You say you want to do this? Well do it. NOW....you might find this helpful.....write down on a piece of paper the time and date you've now forgiven him. What that does is solidifies that fact that you've done it PAST TENSE. From that point on you declare NOPE at this time and date I forgave him AND it was done. I don't care how I feel....I've forgiven him. You see the devil will keep spinning you around in circles putting you in torment that you haven't done it. Yes you have. And as I've said (in another post) choose to see him in the blood of Jesus....sin blotted out JUST HOW you want God to view you about your sin.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi all,

Is there a reason why you can't travel to see your family?

Is there a risk of losing your present social circle to him if you skip out on the Thanksgiving dinner?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m really sorry you feel this way, non of us are perfect, each of us have our problems and nobody will judge you apart from yourself.

What I would say is that look at bitterness as a seed, what it can grow in to and the damage that can do to others but also to you. I would retreat back to the clear teachings of Jesus Christ and forgive, turn the other cheek and stand in the confidence of pure love.

Evil plants evil seeds, Jesus plants purity, so defeat evil with Jesus Christ and feel proud. You are here asking for help/advice, but the Holy Spirit has already called you to do the absolute right thing.

You are already blessed because you live in the truth, but I’ll say….God Bless You

David

Upvote 0