United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone

I’d like to reach out to the community for advice.So something that I strongly believe comes from my OCD,whenever I read or view a strong Christian apologetic,my mind always has passing unwanted doubts,and I’m afraid that somehow is my heart motives or heart condition.I make every desire to believe firmly and not have intellectual doubts.One thing that troubles me the most is that “what if us Christians are the false ones,and the horrible atheists are right?,what if they are telling the truth” sometimes I have thoughts that pass my mind like “God doesn’t seem too real and present,what if it’s just a myth”,the second one troubles me very badly as well, these questions trouble me because I oppose atheism.I want the Good lord to be real and want him to be present in the world.Like I’ve said I’m many past posts,My life practically revolves around the Good Lord and I love him deeply and I hate to have unwanted skepticism.Can anyone relate?

Last edited:

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone

I’d like to reach out to the community for advice.So something that I strongly believe comes from my OCD,whenever I read or view a strong Christian apologetic,my mind always has passing unwanted doubts,and I’m afraid that somehow is my heart motives or heart condition.I make every desire to believe firmly and not have intellectual doubts.One thing that troubles me the most is that “what if us Christians are the false ones,and the horrible atheists are right?,what if they are telling the truth” sometimes I have thoughts that pass my mind like “God doesn’t seem too real and present,what if it’s just a myth”,the second one troubles me very badly as well, these questions trouble me because I oppose atheism.I want the Good lord to be real and want him to be present in the world.Like I’ve said I’m many past posts,My life practically revolves around the Good Lord and I love him deeply.Can anyone relate?
They may have found errors in the Bible, but you should search for truth in the Bible. Some of Jesus’ teachings were recorded by his followers.

• Agree
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

William J

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2021
Buffalo, NY
✟268,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
Every Christian struggles with those sorts of doubts from time to time, but it sounds like you experience these doubts more frequently, perhaps due to your OCD. Such doubts tend to be quite disturbing and unpleasant. Ultimately, you have to ask yourself, "Why did I start believing in the God of the Bible in the first place?" Think back upon all the things that God has done in your life. Also, be sure to tell God what is going on in your mind. God loves you and He will keep on loving you no matter what doubts you might experience. Ask God to give you conviction in your beliefs. I pray that God gives you reassurance and perhaps a sign of His presence in your life.

• Winner
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone

I’d like to reach out to the community for advice.So something that I strongly believe comes from my OCD,whenever I read or view a strong Christian apologetic,my mind always has passing unwanted doubts,and I’m afraid that somehow is my heart motives or heart condition.I make every desire to believe firmly and not have intellectual doubts.One thing that troubles me the most is that “what if us Christians are the false ones,and the horrible atheists are right?,what if they are telling the truth” sometimes I have thoughts that pass my mind like “God doesn’t seem too real and present,what if it’s just a myth”,the second one troubles me very badly as well, these questions trouble me because I oppose atheism.I want the Good lord to be real and want him to be present in the world.Like I’ve said I’m many past posts,My life practically revolves around the Good Lord and I love him deeply and I hate to have unwanted skepticism.Can anyone relate?

Everyone has doubts about things now and then, Satan can come and whisper in our ear. It sounds like your doubts are happening often? I would examine your life over and see if there isn't an incident where you gave Satan free reign to interfere. For example did you ever dabble in something occult like tarot cards? Did anyone ever knowingly or unknowingly place a curse over you by saying something negative. I had a curse placed on me by a relative who said "I would never marry" That didn't get lifted until many years later when I was prayed over. Sometimes small careless things can lead to lasting issues.

OCD could be based in either or both the spiritual and mental. If you need medication take medication. God gave us both the knowledge and the elements to make them. If you need therapy seek therapy and if you need praying over seek a prayer ministry. Don't feel you have to fight alone.

I notice you have been posting in the creation area, is there something specific about creation that you are wondering about? Anything that we could help you with?

• Winner
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Blaise N

Look, God has proven Himself. I don't think, for one who seriously studies the Scriptures, that there can really be any doubt that God does exist; that the Scriptures are His written revelation of Himself.

For me, prophecy is 'how' God has proven Himself. The strongest prophecy that I've found in the Scriptures that assures me that God is, is the prophecy found in Daniel chapter 9. There are a number of prophecies found throughout the Scriptures that give us assurance that there is a God who does know the end from the beginning, which, in fact, was how God has told us that we can know that He is the one true and living God.

So, when you hear the atheists knocking this idea of a God, you should be assured that they just haven't really studied the Scriptures and are likely just following and repeating arguments that they've heard in order to deny God. But rest assured, because of the many, many prophecies that have come to pass just as we are told in the Scriptures, that they just don't know.

Now, you may ask why I find Daniel's prophecy to be one of the strongest 'proofs' that there is a God and that He does know the end from the beginning. Let me explain quickly.

Daniel lived in the early 500's BC. Most historians place the timeframe of his life somewhere around 620-538 BC. He lived in the days of a great king over Babylon named Nebuchadnezzar and we have quite a lot of artifact knowledge to pin down when that king lived. During that time, he was given a prophecy regarding the coming of the Messiah. The prophecy had a sign that would be the start of the time period mentioned in the prophecy. But here's just one of the amazing things about that. The sign for the clock to start ticking didn't come about until the mid 400's BC. Daniel wasn't even alive and would have had no way of knowing what date the event that started that ticking clock could have been in the future. Only God would have been able to tell Daniel that there was going to be an event to come, about 100 years after Daniel's death, that would begin the countdown of the prophetic clock leading up to the arrival of the Messiah in Israel.

Secondly, only God could have known that from that event 100 years after Daniel's death, that at the appointed time mentioned in the prophecy to Daniel, Messiah would be here. Messiah didn't come for some 500 years after Daniel's life, yet the prophecy, from the beginning of the ticking clock, ends at exactly the time that Jesus, the Messiah, was here with us. Only God could have known that, and prepared a prophecy to be written some 500 years earlier that could possibly be that precise. I mean, seriously consider, that would be like William Shakespeare or Leonardo Da Vinci writing some prose that would foretell exactly when the Vietnam war would be engaged.

So, be assured that God exists. He does love us and He has revealed Himself to us and He has prepared the plan of our salvation through His Son. The atheists are wrong, and there will come a time when they will know that they are wrong. For those self same Scriptures that precisely tell us things of the future that are to come also tell us that a day will come when every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord. Be assured that your atheist acquaintances will be there on that day.

As I said, there are many, many other prophecies sprinkled throughout the Scriptures that should assure any thinking man that there is certainly someone who exists that knows the future and how this life is going to play out. It's great to read of the law and how God carried Israel on wings like eagles. It's great to read all the wonderful accounts found in the new covenant of Jesus' life and the lives of the first apostles. But don't easily discount that all those prophecies are there for an even more important reason. It is through them that God proves Himself to anyone willing to search them out.

Some prophecies to check out if you really want to know that you know:
The Old Testament prophet Jeremiah foretold the destruction of Jerusalem (see Jeremiah 25:2, 9–11). History records that the Babylonians did indeed demolish Jerusalem in 587 BC.

That Abraham would have a son. In his latter years. In fact, Abraham did have a son by the slave woman, but God told him that within one year he would have the son that God had promised him through his wife Sarai. That's one year, so Sarai hadn't even conceived yet and as she herself declares, she was past childbearing age. Yet God's prophecy came to pass exactly as God had told Abraham one year earlier.

That Persia would be ruled by a king named Cyrus. His name is recorded in Isaiah 100 years before Cyrus assumed the throne. But the really amazing part of this prophecy is that Cyrus hadn't even been born yet. No one knew that there even would be some baby named Cyrus when Isaiah wrote about him.

And there are literally dozens of prophecies written to confirm that God knew all about Jesus' coming hundreds of years before Mary and Joseph even lived!

Please, don't let a weak faith destroy your faith. Be assured that there is a God and He has a Son and his name is Jesus.

This following passage of proverbs was written sometime in the 700's to 600's BC. Long before any human ever set eyes on God's Son.

Who but God goes up to heaven and comes back down? Who holds the wind in his fists? Who wraps up the oceans in his cloak? Who has created the whole wide world? What is his name—and his son’s name? Tell me if you know!

God bless,
Ted

• Winner
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Everyone has doubts about things now and then, Satan can come and whisper in our ear. It sounds like your doubts are happening often? I would examine your life over and see if there isn't an incident where you gave Satan free reign to interfere. For example did you ever dabble in something occult like tarot cards? Did anyone ever knowingly or unknowingly place a curse over you by saying something negative. I had a curse placed on me by a relative who said "I would never marry" That didn't get lifted until many years later when I was prayed over. Sometimes small careless things can lead to lasting issues.

OCD could be based in either or both the spiritual and mental. If you need medication take medication. God gave us both the knowledge and the elements to make them. If you need therapy seek therapy and if you need praying over seek a prayer ministry. Don't feel you have to fight alone.

I notice you have been posting in the creation area, is there something specific about creation that you are wondering about? Anything that we could help you with?
One thing I do regret is months and months ago,probably in January,I was working my job as a cashier,and before I repented and came out of a backslidden state from childhood to 15,I was often indulging in the evil of listening to the fictional messed up stories called “Creepypastas”.Undoubtedly the stories I heard haunted me for years,especially when I first began to severely suffer from Intrusive thoughts,the evil I let into my life from that period I cannot hide.But back to what I think gave Satan a foothold was a story I heard years and years earlier,which I mocked for it’s fictional non existent voodoo fear demon from the story ,which I mocked and said it’s name behind my mask,knowing it wasn’t real and knowing Gods power would protect me.Still I don’t indulge in such evil anymore,I find those demented stories atrocities and disgusting imaginational dung.Possibly that’s something.But what’s been troubling me is a biting thought that goes like “what if atheists are right and we Christians are living in a fictional delusion?” Now obviously I’d never ever mutter this,and I’m against it,but it won’t go away,I fight and reject the worlds views and evil sinful ideas.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Blaise N

Thanks for the 'winner' accolade. However, I'm hopeful that my explanation has provided you a sure footing for your faith in the one true and living God. That through understanding 'why' God sprinkled so many prophecies throughout His word, that you will be firm and courageous in your faith. That when those naysayers bring their doubts into your sphere, you can confidently say to those who are delivering them, "Look, I understand what you believe but I know that what you believe is not the truth and one day your knee will bow along with everyone else's and proclaim that Jesus is Lord. My hope for you is that before you leave this earth, you will also come to understand and believe that."

Be courageous, very courageous in your faith! Be confident in what you believe! God has given us plenty of assurances that He is!

Just consider the Scriptures themselves. Words written over 1500 years that all speak of the same personage. There is no other set of writings like it in all of the world. Why? Because they are God's written revelation of Himself. Not some made up man-made story that was all written in a very short time by maybe one or two writers. Is is believed that the entirety of the Quaran was written over 23 years. Yes, it does contain some recollections of, and copied writings from, other writings. But the book that Muslims hold in their hand was all cobbled together over 23 years by their prophet Muhammed.

Just Google how long it took to write the Quaran and how long it took to write the bible. You'll see the difference.

God bless,
Ted

• Agree
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi @Blaise N

Thanks for the 'winner' accolade. However, I'm hopeful that my explanation has provided you a sure footing for your faith in the one true and living God. That through understanding 'why' God sprinkled so many prophecies throughout His word, that you will be firm and courageous in your faith. That when those naysayers bring their doubts into your sphere, you can confidently say to those who are delivering them, "Look, I understand what you believe but I know that what you believe is not the truth and one day your knee will bow along with everyone else's and proclaim that Jesus is Lord. My hope for you is that before you leave this earth, you will also come to understand and believe that."

Be courageous, very courageous in your faith! Be confident in what you believe! God has given us plenty of assurances that He is!

Just consider the Scriptures themselves. Words written over 1500 years that all speak of the same personage. There is no other set of writings like it in all of the world. Why? Because they are God's written revelation of Himself. Not some made up man-made story that was all written in a very short time by maybe one or two writers. Is is believed that the entirety of the Quaran was written over 23 years. Yes, it does contain some recollections of, and copied writings from, other writings. But the book that Muslims hold in their hand was all cobbled together over 23 years by their prophet Muhammed.

Just Google how long it took to write the Quaran and how long it took to write the bible. You'll see the difference.

God bless,
Ted
Thank you for your help very much.For someone like me,I’m constantly bombed with intrusive thoughts wether I’m a fake Christian,wether I’m a real believer,all sorts of thoughts.Even as I’m writing this,when I go to use words on the sense of negatively implying OCD such as “nonsense or junk” I’m somehow scared and bombed with thoughts that “I’m trying to imply I’m an atheist” which I’m not.I cannot even number how many times I’ve said this exact phrase “father God I believe in your son Jesus.I believe you Jesus,died on the cross for my sins,confess you as lord,repent of my sins,and believe you rose from the grave.But I’m always worried I didn’t say it sincerely enough or maintains trust in the Lord.I know and acknowledge and trust Jesus is the only way.it’s very worrisome for someone like me,I deny and reject to ever even consider becoming an atheist.Even in these episodes of doubt and worry,I still make the firm choice NOT to sin.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing I do regret is months and months ago,probably in January,I was working my job as a cashier,and before I repented and came out of a backslidden state from childhood to 15,I was often indulging in the evil of listening to the fictional messed up stories called “Creepypastas”.Undoubtedly the stories I heard haunted me for years,especially when I first began to severely suffer from Intrusive thoughts,the evil I let into my life from that period I cannot hide.But back to what I think gave Satan a foothold was a story I heard years and years earlier,which I mocked for it’s fictional non existent voodoo fear demon from the story ,which I mocked and said it’s name behind my mask,knowing it wasn’t real and knowing Gods power would protect me.Still I don’t indulge in such evil anymore,I find those demented stories atrocities and disgusting imaginational dung.Possibly that’s something.But what’s been troubling me is a biting thought that goes like “what if atheists are right and we Christians are living in a fictional delusion?” Now obviously I’d never ever mutter this,and I’m against it,but it won’t go away,I fight and reject the worlds views and evil sinful ideas.

It could be worth being prayed over. It's always worth being prayed over even if these events are not what caused the issue.

When you fight, what does that look like? I would suggest saying scripture.

“what if atheists are right and we Christians are living in a fictional delusion?"
Well look at that and examine it. What if?
If we are deluded and die then we face what atheists believe in -nothing.
If they are deluded (they are) and die they face God.

So what have you lost if you believe and are deluded? Nothing
What have they lost by not believing? Everything.

• Winner
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Blaise N

I understand that your mental condition causes you lots of doubts. You have to go back and check the door 6 times because each time you walk away your mind creates doubts as to whether or not you remembered to lock the door. Or maybe you're the type that needs to wash his hands incessantly because your mind convinces you that they aren't clean. However, in your OP you specifically mention that you have an issue with:
One thing that troubles me the most is that “what if us Christians are the false ones,and the horrible atheists are right?,what if they are telling the truth” sometimes I have thoughts that pass my mind like “God doesn’t seem too real and present,what if it’s just a myth”,...

My response was merely do address that specific thought process that you are struggling with. Honestly, God doesn't seem 'too real and present' most of the hours of a day in my life, but that doesn't cause me to consider that because I don't 'feel' His reality and His presence, that He doesn't exist. This is where the prophecies of the Scriptures have given me solid assurance that even when I don't 'feel' like God is real and present, I know from those 'proofs' that He is.

God bless,
Ted

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Buzzard3

Jan 31, 2022
Forster
✟41,968.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Hi everyone

Bear in mind that Satan created atheism and uses it as a weapon against you faith. When atheists attack your faith, it is really demons who are attacking your faith. Some atheists could actually be possessed.

• Winner
Upvote 0