• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggles And Question Concerning Sex and Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyForChrist

Seeker of Messiah
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I've been having a problem recently. I broke up with a girlfriend a month or so ago, after not having a romantic relationship for many years. Since, I have been awaking frequently in the night from sexually perverse dreams, which are oftentimes accompanied by "physical release." I'm about twenty, and I know there is a hormonal influence to all of this, but I don't find these things to be physiologically or psychologically "natural" as God intended them to be.

When I was younger, I struggled with inappropriate contentography and masturbation, but I can no longer stand to view suggestive images in magazines or on television, and I quickly turn from such things. I refuse to engage in any sexually-related activities with anyone other than my spouse, if and when the Lord decides to give her to me, because I hold strongly to the idea of the special experience and sanctity of sexuality within marriage. I am terribly ashamed that these things are occurring and I struggle with keeping a pure thought life, having lately been bombarded with abominable thoughts at every opportunity when women are present, although I have no desire to entertain any ideas of sexual involvement with anyone.

Is this the result of demonic activities? Or is the wickedness of the flesh manifesting itself through the subconscious in my dreams? Do other men share similar experiences? Please give me some feedback.

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
AnthonyForChrist said:
I've been having a problem recently. I broke up with a girlfriend a month or so ago, after not having a romantic relationship for many years. Since, I have been awaking frequently in the night from sexually perverse dreams, which are oftentimes accompanied by "physical release." I'm about twenty, and I know there is a hormonal influence to all of this, but I don't find these things to be physiologically or psychologically "natural" as God intended them to be.
I don't think there's anything wrong per se with sexual dreams. Instead, it's sort of your mind working itself out and saying, here's what I really think about sex.

When I was younger, I struggled with inappropriate contentography and masturbation, but I can no longer stand to view suggestive images in magazines or on television, and I quickly turn from such things. I refuse to engage in any sexually-related activities with anyone other than my spouse, if and when the Lord decides to give her to me, because I hold strongly to the idea of the special experience and sanctity of sexuality within marriage. I am terribly ashamed that these things are occurring and I struggle with keeping a pure thought life, having lately been bombarded with abominable thoughts at every opportunity when women are present, although I have no desire to entertain any ideas of sexual involvement with anyone.
Ah. Careless use of inappropriate content will do that, even if you no longer engage in it. But you're absolutely doing the right thing by focusing on keeping yourself pure until the day of marriage.

Is this the result of demonic activities? Or is the wickedness of the flesh manifesting itself through the subconscious in my dreams? Do other men share similar experiences? Please give me some feedback.
Again, I say that a sexual dream is your mind's way of saying, "This is where I am right now." Nothing more. As you journey in the recovery process, take note from time to time if some of these dreams ever change.

Reactions: jameseb
Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Anthony, I can tell you that women struggle with this also. My husband died 3 years ago, and with him all sex. Within the last year I have begun to have sexual dreams. At first, I was aware that I was a Christian and said to whoever that I didn't want to. One night it went further and I awoke aroused. I was upset, but rebuked Satan and bound him and his gang and asked God to remove them. And calmed down IMMEDIATELY. It was stunning! Try that, if you can! I'm praying for you Anthony! God bless you. :hug:

Upvote 0

devoted daughter

Mar 14, 2004
✟14,195.00
Faith
Christian
AnthonyForChrist
"Sleep is a temporay loss of consciousness, from which one may be relatively easily awakened". I'ts the best definition I've read so far, which means that what happens to us in that state is beyond our control. As you said, it's physiology, and the way God built our bodies. Is there someone close that might by able to advise you in your community, or someone to lend professional support in your journey. You needn't suffer alone, and God has given gifts of guidance to professsionals that can help us along the way in your journey to truth. I will pray that you find support, and that He guide you to His will that you may fulfill His purpose for you.
God bless
DD

Upvote 0

hischildsindik

Freckles
Jan 18, 2004
Iowa, USA
Visit site
✟16,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Anthony, Our minds and bodies at times do their own thing. Stopping the sexual activities is a good thing to do. Remember what happens in your dream is not real and is not sin, because you did not consiously choose to think/dream that. It's about what you do when you wake up, do you dwell on the dream and relive it or do you put it behind you, thank God for His design for your body and your sexuality and the move on with the day? One is sin/lust, the other is an act of love for God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.