floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Does that actually work

I got stopped by a street preacher the other day, while his colleague tried to pass me some literature

I walked away thinking "oh for goodnesses sakes" and thought 'it really annoys me when people want to infringe on my day by trying to convert m or give me stuff that I'll throw in the bin at the first opportunity

So does it actually work or is it more of a way for christians to feel good about themselves like they've scored brownie points

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hehehe Guess we know your calling isn't as an evangelist Eph 4:11. sorry just my crazy sense of humor.

Gosh, how long did it take for them to express concern about your heart condition?

But wondering where do you think would be an appropriate place for evangelists to do their ministry?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It works no more or less than any other approach. I mean building friendships is a good way, but that takes time and there's no gaurantee for any of us that we will see the next minute, so the urgency compels some, not all to hit the streets. I do street ministry when the opportunity presents itself and enjoy doing it. Don't look at it as Oh my goodness they are so rude, because to be honest, any situation where someone shares their faith could be considered such an interruption. Whether at work, school, home, street, etc. you know what I mean. Most get out and preach and hand out literature because they care about you, some do it just for show I'll grant you, but most others really do care about your soul and your future, so try not to take such encounters personally or in an annoying way. If anything, search into what they say, you may just find that those who preach Christ to you are right and you'll have earned yourself a place in the Father's Kingdom. It's better than shrugging it off as fairy tales and then finding out one day that they were right.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
jim - I'm shocked you are so critical of brothers and sisters who share the Word. God doesn't care if you do it out of selfish motives or pure, just as He describes through Paul in Philippians.

To the OP, one thing I will add is I understand your feelings about annoyance. I know a group of guys that would do door to door ministry, where they go to people's houses and share. That I can see as a definite annoyance and interruption, but outside of that I don't see much of an issue with other methods.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
jim - I'm shocked you are so critical of brothers and sisters who share the Word. God doesn't care if you do it out of selfish motives or pure, just as He describes through Paul in Philippians.

To the OP, one thing I will add is I understand your feelings about annoyance. I know a group of guys that would do door to door ministry, where they go to people's houses and share. That I can see as a definite annoyance and interruption, but outside of that I don't see much of an issue with other methods.
Paul didn't care, but he was making a different point. God cares, and the unbelievers facing some cold and disingenuous Christian out for brownie points with God or approval of man notice. To God our own works of self-righteousness are like filthy rags.

I've been one of those uncalled ones, guilted into going out in my own flesh, and I've seen the difference when someone is called to street witness. The first is hoping for a Balaam's donkey incident that is usually the exception, and the other is a thing of beauty and God's grace.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul didn't care, but he was making a different point. God cares, and the unbelievers facing some cold and disingenuous Christian out for brownie points with God or approval of man notice. To God our own works of self-righteousness are like filthy rags.

I've been one of those uncalled ones, guilted into going out in my own flesh, and I've seen the difference when someone is called to street witness. The first is hoping for a Balaam's donkey incident that is usually the exception, and the other is a thing of beauty and God's grace.

So when Paul wrote those words in Philippians those were not God's own? I'm pretty sure that all scripture is God-breathed (2 Tim 3:16). Our works of righteousness as filthy rags applies to the lost being unable to save themselves by their works. If our good works meant nothing then why would we be rewarded according to what we have done and why would God tell us to do good works and to go into "the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full.?" (Luke 14:23)

I'm not going to continue, I would like this discussion to stay on topic, but I disagree with you rather broken heartedly that a fellow child of God would think that about others. It should be none of our concern why someone is on the street preaching. It doesn't affect you one way or the other why they are preaching, they will have to answer for it not you. And especially coming for you who has admitted that personal evangelism isn't your thing. How can you decide by how a person delivers the message if they are under "the anointing" or not? Read 1 Corinthians 2:1-5, Paul admits there to being very fearful when he spoke to the Corinthians, to the point of trembling, but I don't think you'd say he wasn't "anointed" by God. So we shouldn't judge by how the message is delivered. A lot of times, God uses those who are most afraid and bad at public speaking to deliver the most blessed messages.

Look I love you in Christ, but I feel saddened by your words and I hope that you'll understand soon. I now bow out of this discussion having given my response to the OP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think its about the approach, and a person who does street ministry needs to be called of God to do it. I have a friend who does this, and she's amazing to watch. I've seen her captivate people in like 2 seconds, and the craziest thing is she's the least social person in the world otherwise. She's got the gift :D

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think its about the approach, and a person who does street ministry needs to be called of God to do it. I have a friend who does this, and she's amazing to watch. I've seen her captivate people in like 2 seconds, and the craziest thing is she's the least social person in the world otherwise. She's got the gift :D
Exactly what I am, apparently poorly, trying to say.

The only reason I care why people are out street witnessing is that Christians who aren't called to something doing it out of guilt or man-pleasing is a train wreck for the recipient and the Christian. If you are running sound at church without a calling, eh, probably not eternal, but someone showing their flesh to the lost, well, could potentially have eternal implications, but God is merciful. Yet we are quicker to guilt Christians into the most disastarous train wrecks than the less important ones. I'd rather see someone do a horrible job of running sound or stacking chairs than witnessing. Someone who belongs street witnessing won't be held back from it for long.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I misunderstood anyone here (including you jim) then I apologize for the misunderstanding, but I won't apologize for my remarks. I don't see what gives any one of us the right to criticize someone who gets on the street and preaches the gospel, regardless of if they are anointed to do it or not. Atleast they are doing something to share the gospel, and even if they are doing it just to put on a show, God can still use His Word spoken to bring some good in the midst of all this evil!

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does that actually work

I got stopped by a street preacher the other day, while his colleague tried to pass me some literature

I walked away thinking "oh for goodnesses sakes" and thought 'it really annoys me when people want to infringe on my day by trying to convert m or give me stuff that I'll throw in the bin at the first opportunity

So does it actually work or is it more of a way for christians to feel good about themselves like they've scored brownie points

Actually the rising up of emotions that are designed to draw one away from God is a favorite and very effective tool of the devil.

It is a tool that works against those who are born again as well as those who are not to keep the truth of the word of God from them.

:)

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I misunderstood anyone here (including you jim) then I apologize for the misunderstanding, but I won't apologize for my remarks. I don't see what gives any one of us the right to criticize someone who gets on the street and preaches the gospel, regardless of if they are anointed to do it or not. Atleast they are doing something to share the gospel, and even if they are doing it just to put on a show, God can still use His Word spoken to bring some good in the midst of all this evil!
Whoa!! Cool down. ^_^ I did not read your post and was not referring to it, but I do disagree with you (respectfully). Evangelism is not about you/me feeling good about yourself because you are “at least doing something.” If street witnessing were a productive method of getting the Good News to the world, then I would be less unenthusiastic about it, but IMO, street witnessing, as I have seen it done, is counterproductive. I have NEVER, in almost 50 years of service to God, met a single person who was converted by someone rudely (and self-righteously) shoving a tract in their face and/or trying to convince them that they, unlike them, are sinners bound for a devil’s hell. But, sadly, I do know more than one person who was so offended by such disrespectful behavior that they have broad-brushed all evangelical Christians as high-pressure salesmen and today are steering clear of anything they label as Christian. Wouldn’t just loving them and showing their love in practical ways have been more effective? :)

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Whoa!! Cool down. ^_^ I did not read your post and was not referring to it, but I do disagree with you (respectfully). Evangelism is not about you/me feeling good about yourself because you are “at least doing something.” If street witnessing were a productive method of getting the Good News to the world, then I would be less unenthusiastic about it, but IMO, street witnessing, as I have seen it done, is counterproductive. I have NEVER, in almost 50 years of service to God, met a single person who was converted by someone rudely (and self-righteously) shoving a tract in their face and/or trying to convince them that they, unlike them, are sinners bound for a devil’s hell. But, sadly, I do know more than one person who was so offended by such disrespectful behavior that they have broad-brushed all evangelical Christians as high-pressure salesmen and today are steering clear of anything they label as Christian. Wouldn’t just loving them and showing their love in practical ways have been more effective? :)

street witnessing is anti introvert.:D

good points here jim, not to mention paul did not really for the most part stress that his churches were to be street witness people, he stressed letting their light shine, be good people etc, but he didn't blow the revival trumpet, or push that they all act like evangelists.

some churches really condemn others if they don't constantly witness, i just do it as i am led.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

:thumbsup:

it has become a christian taboo to not care about revival, or to not be a street witnesser.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would ya consider this street witnessing?

It was on the street, not in a building.

Acts 2:14
But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: KJV

Result: 3000 saved!:)

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: KJV

in other words good to witness, but good to be led like how peter was there.:)

Upvote 0

ServantJohn

Not quite a newbie...
Nov 9, 2010
✟12,108.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Exactly what I was thinking.

I was personally impacted by a street evangelist. On the night God miraculously reconnected me with my grandmother and family I didn't even know existed, He also sent a street evangelist to minister to me.

We need to get really serious here. Yes God cares what is in someones heart of whether they are acting out of pure or impure motives. It is a consolation that the Gospel is getting preached either way and the motives will be delt with in due time. Also, I have seen street evangelism a few times and tracts were never shoved in someone's face. I've also never seen them claim to be anything but forgiven sinners.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Amen

Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What a strange set of answers !

I joined a group of street evangelists about 18 months ago. It started with 3 people, then went up to about 30, then we had 120 out for the Olympics, and its growing. People are being liberated and used, no matter how proficient they are at it. We learn as we go. Some are quite different to how I go about it, but it takes a love for people and the gospel to pound those streets for 3 or 4 hours. These guys could be sitting at home debating on here all day long, but they would sooner try and touch and win a soul. I admire them, they are getting their hands dirty to fulfil the great commission. As for the brownie points thing, WHAT A JOKE !!! we are not JW's for starters, we know why we do it.

WE LOVE JESUS

WE LOVE PEOPLE

As simple as that !

Upvote 0