Street Evangelism Talk

David Hunter

Be passionate about pursuing your purpose in life.
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟336,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was invited to the G220 Radio Podcast to talk about Street Evangelism and I wanted to share the replay with you! Hope it's an encouragement to you to get out of your comfort zone and share the Gospel! :)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am walking in Walmart and a strange guy somehow thinks he recognizes me and starts evangelizing. I thought we had common ground and I let him do most of the talking which included a lot of scripture verses. He thought I was a priest because I provide spiritual care in a Catholic hospital. Then he says, "There is still time for you to repent of your Catholicism".

I am sorry to say I lost may peace. I wish I could have retained my joy and shared it even as he was putting me down.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for sharing, Akita! Are you Catholic or the guy just made an assumption?
I am Catholic but not a priest. I am fortunate to still be able to provide ministry to the sick and their families. Usually I am more welcomed by non-Catholics than Catholics who would rather have priest. Understandable. I mean all types but I must say the majority are not affiliated with any particular faith community, church or denomination.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, ok! If I was the guy, I probably would have questioned you about it. I don't believe all Catholics are Christian, but there are Christians who are Catholic.
Do you believe all Christians are Christians?

I thought it was pretty arrogant to challenge a stranger's faith.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the video, David, thanks for sharing your journey. You recounted a stage in your life when you said, 'Ya, I believe in God. But church, I am not about all that." How many people are in that stage? But a personal crisis caused you to seek the Lord in scripture and it was there that you began to realize you were "not such a good person", your surrender was not complete. I have been a born again Christian since about 1976 and it is only recently that I have come to a deeper understanding of my own lack of surrender. To some degree I have lived many years in a Christian fantasy. It was icing on the cake of my happy life. But still wanting things my way, still with my own interests having priority. So, yes, I am still in need of conversion. Not from the Catholic Church. But from myself. I am not sure why or how but new life, even now is coming my way.

I like the bit about introversion. I am off the chart. But I love preaching when I get the chance. No fears, no anxiety. People invite me sometimes. Mostly though I try to connect with people one- on-one in the hospital rooms. Imagine an introvert knocking on doors. That was a main growth for me. When I was in training I was nervous and afraid to knock on those doors. By the end of the training it EXCITED me.

I have been reading a biography of a great preacher. St Francis of Assisi:

"For when, as very often happened, he was preaching God's word among many thousands of people, Francis was as confident as if he had been speaking with an intimate companion. He saw the greatest concourse of people as one man, and to one man he preached most carefully, as if to a multitude. His purity of mind furnished him with confidence in preaching; and without premeditation he would utter things wonderful and unheard before by all. Sometimes, however, it happened, if he had meditated his sermon beforehand, that when the people were come together he had forgotten what he had thought of, and could not say anything else. Then, without any embarrassment, he confessed to the people that he had thought of many things beforehand of which he could remember nothing at all, and suddenly he would be filled with such eloquence that he moved his hearers to admiration. At other times, however, when he could say nothing, he dismissed the people with his blessing, having by that alone preached to them most effectually."

But the thing is, if I do not feel the joy, if I do not have it to share, I know I need to pray before I try to reach out.

Reactions: David Hunter
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find this topic energizing. Really, when I feel depressed, empty or discouraged I think about what I would preach to others. And I realize that first I need to preach to myself. My preaching has always been in churches as a guest. That is, all churches but my own. Isn't that ironic. Since I am neither a deacon nor priest I am not authorized to preach in the Catholic Church. And I recall that both Jesus and St Francis sent them two at a time. I think that is a very good idea...at least two. Preaching Teams.

So for me, we would need to go to a place like a college campus where people have time between classes and are sitting out in the sun. I would start with one of Jesus's parables, like the lost coin or the pearl of great price. I would start by asking. "HAVE YOU FOUND IT? HAVE YOU FOUND IT YET?

I will retire in a few years. Maybe then.

Upvote 0

David Hunter

Be passionate about pursuing your purpose in life.
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟336,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Akita,

Do I believe all Christians are Christian?... Absolutely! Now, I don't believe that everyone who says they're are Christian are actually Christian.

Thanks for sharing your struggles and fear! Glad you were able to overcome the anxiety and fear. It's amazing what God will do through us when we're open to it. Take me into a large group of people and I'm still introverted, but, like you, when I open-air preach or start passing out tracts all the fear goes away! It's the leading up to it part that's the worst. haha

Definitely it's great going two-by-two! Though, I'm learning that there may not always be someone available to go with us, but we always have the Holy Spirit with us! Like tomorrow, I'm going out to the square to pass out tracts and engage in conversation at a ladies Witches Walk but don't have anyone else to go with, though I hear there may be a couple other evangelists out there so I'm going to try to connect with them.

Keep on preaching!

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ladies Witches Walk
Wow!

Bless them. I love to bless people. How about publicly asking God to send the Holy Spirit upon them?

Even "May the Lord bless you and keep you;
may the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
May the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace."

Numbers 6:24-26

Reactions: David Hunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums