• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Stream of consciousness

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God has helped me with some recent breakthrough moments regarding this ocd.

I can see He has done and continues to do wonderful things for many of us on this site. May He be praised.

Do any of you find that we are most vulnerable after a breakthrough moment or victory?

I felt at great peace yesterday evening, praising God and feeling blessed. But that wasn't good enough for my busy brain. My thoughts had to start in with "what if I've got it all wrong?" It sort of let the air out of my sails. It was sort of a new intrusive thought, more subtle, more easily disguised as me; quite possibly it was me. I don't feel condemned or anything, just a sense of blah almost immediately after having had the most joy I had experienced in a while.

This fits with much of what my underlying experience has been with most things in my life. If something is going well, don't worry I'll find a way to somehow spoil it.

My wife and I spent years of praying for a child, now we are blessed with twins on the way. The euphoria turned to worry - the "what if's" regarding health, safety, etc.

I just somehow would like to hold onto a sense of peace and a sense of gratitude. But maybe my definition of peace and gratitude are not God's. Maybe I am confusing "calm" and "goosebumps" with what peace and gratitude fully are. Maybe gratitude is being obedient to God in the way we love others and sharing his love. Maybe peace is what has occurred through Christ. So maybe these terms, Peace and Gratitude are absolutes and therefore eternal. Absolutes do not change with our emotions and thoughts.

Hebrews 11:1 describes faith as "the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."

Assurance.
Hope.
Conviction.

Absolutes. Why are these absolutes? Because they are eternal. The rest of Hebrews 11 gives examples of great faith (Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, etc.) Their faith was not measured by what they felt or even thought, but how they responded. They responded by trusting God; by being obedient to His word. Believing it and living it.

It took Noah how many years to build that ark? Scripture doesn't say whether he had his "internal moments" while building this monstrous ark. Did Noah think to himself, "what am I doing?" We don't know. If it was important for us to know, it would probably be in Scripture. We do know, however, that he continued to build in accordance with God's plan. The accounts of these heroes of the faith, do not spend much time if any on what was going on in the brains of these people. They are focused on the response that was based on faith. That must be more important. They lived their lives outside of their own heads and in the reality of the living God. God used them to carry out the early phases of His salvation plan. Their God-inspired works are therefore eternal.

My head can be a bad neighborhood. With His help, I am moving out to God's country.

jc9992

Oct 2, 2006
Florida
✟7,946.00
Faith
Pentecostal
That is EXACTLY how i feel.Sometimes i feel like im offending God because He will bless me and then 2 days later i need another blessing to make sure im saved.

I too wish i could just hold on to a peace and joy ,and to be able to get up everyday and know that nothing can go wrong in my spiritual life.I dont know if my faith will ever get that good,but i sure hope it does.

Upvote 0

ChristianGuitarMan112190

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
✟15,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That is EXACTLY how i feel.Sometimes i feel like im offending God because He will bless me and then 2 days later i need another blessing to make sure im saved.

I too wish i could just hold on to a peace and joy ,and to be able to get up everyday and know that nothing can go wrong in my spiritual life.I dont know if my faith will ever get that good,but i sure hope it does.
It will man!! Just keep praising God and learning all about him!! My OCD is bad!! I prayed to God to help me handle it!! So I got this urge to stop my compulsions, last night and today was pretty peaceful!! I didn't stop them all just the ones with numbers, the phrases i say over and over no... God works mysteriously he gives people opportunities, I find OCD an opportunity to really love God and come closer to him!!

Upvote 0

jc9992

Oct 2, 2006
Florida
✟7,946.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It will man!! Just keep praising God and learning all about him!! My OCD is bad!! I prayed to God to help me handle it!! So I got this urge to stop my compulsions, last night and today was pretty peaceful!! I didn't stop them all just the ones with numbers, the phrases i say over and over no... God works mysteriously he gives people opportunities, I find OCD an opportunity to really love God and come closer to him!!

Im doing just that and i also know that OCD has brought me A LOT closer to God than before the religious kind started.

The thoughts just wont go away.

Upvote 0

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God works mysteriously he gives people opportunities, I find OCD an opportunity to really love God and come closer to him!!

I agree. If nothing can separate us from the love of Christ, then there is nothing He can't use to draw us closer.

Upvote 0

QUannie

Jun 22, 2007
✟7,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Marcb,
Congarts on your twins.....
That is wonderful!!!

I was reading about God's grace this morning in Romans 11:4&5.
His grace/kindness is FREE and UNDESERVING! We just need to keep TRUSTING in it!!! WOW!
Please pray for me that the truth I just wrote will get so deep in my heart that nothing could shake it!!
I will pray that for all of us too!!

Thanks,

Q

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.