strange question

Pattyannee

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
✟15,270.00
Faith
Christian
This may sound rather strange, but i am rather ignorant on this subject.

Is Fasting a good way to be healed from an illness.. Ok here is the story...

I'm on medications that I have just began to realize I'm addicted to. They are prescribed by a doctor.

Anyway I have been reading a book that is on the subject of Fasting. It suggests getting rid of all medications and going on a extended fast.
That thru fasting the depression that I am taking medication for will be healed, and I would no longer need medication.

I just don't understand fasting so thought I'd see what you all think.

Pattyannee

Momzilla

Gettin' that old time religion!
Feb 12, 2004
Greenville, SC
✟16,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Patty, I would advise against fasting as a means of "healing" any form of illness, mental or physical, including depression. In particular, I think it is unwise to simply stop taking your medication and hope that, by fasting, you may be healed.

Fasting is a form of spiritual discipline. There are many benefits that derive from fasting, and improved health is one of them, but improved health is not the *goal* of Christian fasting.

I hope that helps, although it's probably not what you were hoping to hear.

Upvote 0

IKTCA

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2003
✟18,959.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
PattyAnee

I am sorry to hear that you have depression and are taking medication. I will remember you in my prayers.

I have nothing to add to Momzilla's answer. Fasting is disciplining self to obey the words of God. The goal is obedience. To forgive, to love, to give, to seek the kingdom of God, and not to worry about what to eat, etc. You know what I mean. God sees our efforts to obey his commands and heals our diseases.

Obeying the commands of Jesus is the best way to be healed of depression. I urge you to consider my suggestion. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Anti-Fear

Repent Now
Sep 21, 2003
Berkeley
✟16,368.00
Faith
Protestant
No, its not proven scientifically anywhere that diseases can go away if you fast.

There are only select few diseases and illnesses that can go away if you fast, so I've read. If that is the case doctor knows it and will tell you.

I think fasting can only help your health becuse you lose fat and you become healthier from your overall improving state.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
From my experience extended fasting is indeed healing .

Body , mind , soul , and spirit .

And prescription drugs are often unhealthy , slowly destoying one's internal organs , especially the liver and kidneys .

I'll have to go copy another post and paste on your thread for more details .

Back in a minute .

wm

Yea , Folks who are prone to have blood sugar regulating problems , have a hard time fasting .

Try eating certain foods before you fast which will continue to break down slowly . Complex carbohydrates like whole grain pasta , oatmeal , with some protein , too . Avoid eating high sugar content food and drink , prior to fasting ( 24 hrs. ) and after a fast ( the 1st day or so - depending on how long the fast was .)

Brush your teeth , gums , and tongue , with something unsweet . I use tooth powder ( Myrrh powder & Baking Soda - 50-50 ), but a little Baking Soda will work , not too much , and be gentle , it's an abrasive ; and rinse well .

Don't try to go too long too soon .

Let your body adjust gradually .

Don't fast extendly very often , it takes time to rebuild .

Remember to pray and use your excess of time to study Scriptures , write letters , try to incorporate charity into your fast .

My first effort was 3 days , water only .

The a few months later , a week ; years later 2 weeks ; last fast 3 weeks .

I drink only good water , with tiny amount of Vit . C , your gums disease without C in a few weeks , or less .

The only thing I can think of that prayer and fasting isn't good for is conditions related to malnutrition .

The more body fat one has the longer they can fast , from a physical point of view .

Though I've never been particularly overweight , with all the obesity present in our affluent cultures , it would be a big plus if more folks embraced fasting .

Our fat stores toxins .

Like the oil in a cars engine , if it doesn't get changed once in a while , the dirt / toxins build up and begin to interfere with performance .

Ever see the fat of a wild animal , it's pure white .

Ever see the fat of lyposuction , it's yellow/orange .

Wild animals go through a time of plenty and a time of lean , each year ; thus changing their fat regularly .

In much the same way we can benefit , but since animals typically go without in winter , and since when one fasts , it's harder to stay warm , it makes sense to reverse the timing , and fast in the summer , or when it's warm and not cold .

Well this has been my experience , your's may or may not be the same .

Keep studying , try a sample fast . It takes 3 days , to really reach autocannablism - where your white blood cells scour your entire body like little packmen , and Lord blessing , they devour the stuff we're better off without !

I count the gift of fasting as sort of a secret weapon that I resort to , when other less drastic measures prove insufficient .

Peace and Good Will in The Beloved ,

wm

Upvote 0

Submissionary

Aug 16, 2004
✟114.00
Faith
Christian
Fasting for 3 days is okay.... but according to my limited knowlege, fasting should be for the purpose of getting closer to God... hearing Him... wanting a change and not knowing what the change inside yourself needs to be... I have fasted for 3 days... just water, and for 3 days I was hungry and not really all that interested in getting closer to God, although that's why I did it... but I had made a committment to do this and so I did; and at the end of the three days, after I had strated eating again, I had such an awsome revelation about myself and truths about my life... things which were wrong in my life... The Holy Spirit showed me, and I have worked at getting rid of the all the bad things that were in my life... I wasn't asking for a physical healing but I truly needed a spiritual renewal, and I don't regret doing it, and I plain on doing it at least every 2 months from now on. But the purpose always needs to be to get closer to Our Creator.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Isn't seeking a healing without human intervention , a way to draw closer to the Lord ?

To me it is !

Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's. <-----> Psalm 103:1-5

wm

Upvote 0