Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”

In Mark 12 & Luke 21, a story is told about a woman who gave a very small amount, but that small amount was all she had. It's a familiar story, and sometimes familiarity can keep us from seeing the details.

In my Bible as Literature class, the professor raised a question: Why was this story not a parable? Many of Jesus' teachings involve fictional people; this widow wasn't. This is not just an allegory about the importance of giving what we have; this is an actual person, who really did give all that she had, while others made fun of her for making an incredible act of trust in God. Why did Jesus condone the woman giving more than she should've, giving away even what keeps her alive?

There's a lot of directions people can take this, and I invite you to share your own thoughts. What came to mind for me was this: Maybe she knew she would die soon. Very little detail is given about this woman, but it's reasonable to assume that she may be elderly, sick, or both, and realizing how close she was to meeting God, she wanted to give Him everything before she left.

May God bless us all & guide us in our interpretations of His word!

Reactions: Halbhh

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the things I take from this wonderful moment is that she is going all-in for God. At that time, the way, before the gospel, to give more, was to give to what was known to be His temple. Today, we can go all-in in so many ways, but it's all-in in our hearts that is the key step. To live for Him, not for the world, no matter what situation or effort one is in.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Our Lord's story about Lazarus and the rich man in Hades could be another example. People seem to read that story as something other than actual fact when the context easily lends itself to a literal interpretation.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why did Jesus condone the woman giving more than she should've, giving away even what keeps her alive?

The offering she was giving was, in part, to take care of people just like her. She was giving what little she had trusting that God would take care of the rest through the system God had set up to take care of those who couldn't take care of themselves, i.e. widows, orphans, strangers, and the like.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mar 12:44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

The rich only gave a part, keeping plenty for themselves, but the widow gave to the poor, even being poor herself, from a heart that pleased the Lord. Putting others needs before her own and trusting God to provide for her.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0