Stoning Methods

moneyholster

Jul 12, 2015
✟15,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm really struggling with the issue of stinging in the Bible. Do we actually know what the word 'stoning' in the Law actually refers to? Was it a slow and torturous method by which a crowd through rocks at a victim for minutes to hours? Or was it more humane? I remember seeing a movie about Alexander the Great, and when a soldier was wounded beyond healing, they took this special tool to painlessly kill them. They put a rock or something on the back of their neck and then struck it hard, instantaneously killing them. Could the stoning in ancient Israel be something more humane like this? I also was wondering if when they were talking about stoning they were referring to slings. Israel was a shepherd people so they were familiar with slings. Slings aren't a harmless weapon. They can accurately send a missile at high-speeds and instantly kill someone. Now imagine an entire tribe of skilled marksman sending high-speed rocks at a persons' head. They would die instantly and their would be no suffering. Are any of these possible solutions to this difficult question?

roasthawg

Dec 4, 2014
✟7,672.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand your struggle... I get caught up in struggling with different issues in the Bible all the time. Things that just don't seem right. Things that don't seem "godly" or seem far fetched or just off. Faith, prayer, and a bunch of Google searches normally leave me feeling better eventually.

I don't have any insight into the punishment of stoning unfortunately. The only thing that comes to mind is Jesus saying "he who is without sin may cast the first stone". He seems to be referring to throwing a rock but who knows?

The best I can offer is to remind you to trust the Lord. He is only good and wants only good for us. Suffering is built into this fallen world but we're promised that we won't receive more than we can handle whether that's death by stoning, crucifixion, or whatever.

There was a lot of blood in ancient Israel... Between the animal sacrifices and the righteous extermination of entire nations in the conquest of the holy Land there's a lot to wrap your mind around. God is out to bring about as much good for as many people as he can though so at the end of the day all we can do is pray for faith and patiently endure.

Upvote 0