Still can't speak in tongues, very discouraged...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilmiah_101

Jesus Freak #101
Feb 5, 2006
Kingston,OHIO
✟7,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Reazzurro90 said:
That's a fascinating experience, really. It's amazing how the Lord works. Heh, "relaxation", that's probably about the last thing I know how to do. I can't wait for my turn for the gift.
I have been reading these post; this thread is for me to; I am kinda sturggling like you are Reazzurro, I just don't really don't know how to submitt yet.

So are you people saying just recieve the baptism of the holy spirit by faith+ and then the manifestation of the gift of tounges will come later, if thats the case. I always thought that the gift of toungs was the evidence of the baptism if the holy Ghost.

Upvote 0

youthwalk

Kimpa Vita
Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
✟47,713.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Same with me. But my Rev told me that it's in God's timing. I find absolute joy in worshipping God and in seeking His face. I have been slain in the Spirit but I never spoke in tongues. I was discouraged at first but now I feel quieted by God that when it is His will it will be.
Brianna

Upvote 0

prisonchaplain

Feb 25, 2006
Federal Way, WA
✟15,539.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reazzurro90 said:
But in all honesty I'm terrified, because it sounds way too easy to just try and make up words. These are words that are real and true, and spoken in heaven, it seems as if it should come from the Holy Spirit, not by my own self thinking them up during worship. All these confusing things hit me, silly things like "just let it flow" or "just do it", and it all leaves me perplexed and with nothing. I guess we'll see during worship this morning, which I need to go to in about fifteen minutes.

[/size]

I suppose so. And, I suppose that God will know the reality of it all, and that if I am really making up words, that God won't rebuke or condemn me for it.

I may sound like a broken record, but, I suppose you're right.

Whatever you do, don't make up words. Don't speak "in the flesh." Tarry until...when they come, they'll flow...it'll be like a switch is turned on. Don't force something that you know is not the Spirit. At the same time, doubts, or worries can get in the way. Always know that if you ask Father for a blessing, he won't allow the enemy to deceive you. Keep us posted! :)

Upvote 0

prisonchaplain

Feb 25, 2006
Federal Way, WA
✟15,539.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lilmiah_101 said:
I have been reading these post; this thread is for me to; I am kinda sturggling like you are Reazzurro, I just don't really don't know how to submitt yet.

So are you people saying just recieve the baptism of the holy spirit by faith+ and then the manifestation of the gift of tounges will come later, if thats the case. I always thought that the gift of toungs was the evidence of the baptism if the holy Ghost.
You are right. Pentecostals believe that tongues are the evidence of the one receiving the baptism in the Holy Spirit. Keep seeking--they'll come. And, do know that the Holy Spirit is with you even now--you can be powerful for Christ today. The baptism will bring you added power...but don't be afraid to serve him while you seek more of him.

Upvote 0

prisonchaplain

Feb 25, 2006
Federal Way, WA
✟15,539.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AdyFromEngland said:
I find people that claim to speak in tongues a huge distraction at many churches
People should not be "praying in the Spirit" outloud, unless it is a time when the community has been encouraged to do so. Generally speaking, corporate worship is a time when only someone with a message in tongues should speak out--then comes an interpretation. Private tongues prayer should be just that--private.

Upvote 0

prisonchaplain

Feb 25, 2006
Federal Way, WA
✟15,539.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AdyFromEngland said:
I am very sceptical of modern day claims that "speaking in tongues" is anything like the First Century miracle

Even IF speaking-in-tongues is genuine, the Apostle Paul says it is "the least" of the Gifts, and that Love should be sought and given far, far more beyond this
Me thinks you confuse the public gift of speaking in tongues, so that another might interpret, with praying in tongues, which is our private communication with God. This latter type is what comes with the baptism in the Holy Ghost. Why your skepticism about modern tongues being like ancient tongues? Corinthians experienced the same "messiness" we sometimes see today. Also, even the "least" gift from God is from God, and is a blessing. Why anti-Pentecostals throw this line out, disparaging what God has for us, is beyond me. God uses the foolishness of men to confound the wise. He uses tongues to humble the spiritual proud, imho.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.