Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think that what we all can admire about Steven Hawking, the man, is the tenacity and bravery he lived his life with everyday. So many with his condition lobby for euthanasia and the "right to die with dignity".
Steven Hawking chose life over dignity, and in the end lived his life down to the very end with both.

He didn't lobby for it, and didn't want it for himself, but he most assuredly wasn't opposed to euthanasia as a concept:
"I think those who have a terminal illness and are in great pain should have the right to choose to end their lives and those that help them should be free from prosecution. We don't let animals suffer, so why humans?" - Stephen Hawking, in a BBC interview in 2013.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Here come the progressives with their knives out:

The Sexism of “Genius”
I think that what Jordan Peterson has to say on the issue is informative When it comes to being the very best at anything, to focus on success warps everything else in life around that goal. Success is like a black hole in many ways; everything else gets sucked into it. Top performers work the eighteen hours a day, and no doubt dream about their next move to stay at the top. They are ruthlessly competitive.
When it comes to intelligence and ability, other than slam dunking in the NBA, or guarding the line in the NFL, women are every bit as much as capable as men are. However, the preponderance of women are psychologically too stable to allow one thing in their life to take the place of everything else.
Maybe it is the testosterone, or maybe it is just possessing a more comprehensive intelligence that recognizes the overwhelming negative consequences of being so driven by ego to be the best, but sexism is a poor answer to try to explain why the extremities of success in anything so often exclude women.

Upvote 0