Stephen Hawking and how to lose friends and alienate people.

Oneofthediaspora

Jul 9, 2008
Liverpool
✟9,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have started a different thread about how the lies of certain Americans about the British NHS are upsetting to British people and to British doctors particularly; but this one is a lie of such gargantuan proportions that it really does deserve a thread of its own.

In an editorial at the beginning of this month Investor's Business Daily printed the following :

"People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't stand a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless. "

Er what ? I mean ... WHAT ?!?

This would be the same Stephen Hawking who was born in Britain and lives in Britain and despite motor neurone disease is still alive and working at the age of 67 ?
The same Stephen Hawking who has received his treatment through those 67 years from the doctors and nurses of the National Health System ?

I'm not sure if you realise (or care) how badly these liars are making America look. I have had the good fortune to meet and communicate with Americans and have found them amongst the most friendly, honest and intelligent people I've had the honour of knowing.

People such as the dullard who wrote that editorial are doing Americans no favours.

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I read a quote from another American explaining that the KJV is the best Bible because, and I quote "Shakespeare translated it from the original writings of Jesus and the saints".

You knpw, one foreigner's as good as any other, they're all pretty much interchangeable aren't they?

Upvote 0

Gawron

Apr 24, 2008
✟5,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Posted by oneofthediaspora:

“In an editorial at the beginning of this month Investor's Business Daily printed the following.”

Again, you chose not to support your comments with any links to your source, so I went looking to do this for you. Here is a link to the IBD and the article in question.

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArti...33933006516877

Note the disclaimer at the top, in which the IBD states the correction concerning Hawking, a fact which you leave out of your diatribe. Read the article and you will find that any mention of Hawking has been removed. But apparently you agenda does not allow you to acknowledge the fact that the IBD recognized their mistake and corrected it, because then you could no longer harp on what cosmic liars all who oppose Nationalized Health Care are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oneofthediaspora

Jul 9, 2008
Liverpool
✟9,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So IBD had the good grace to remove any mention of Stephen Hawking eh ?
That's news to me. When did this happen ?

When will the IBD be issuing an apology for this lie ?

Why on earth did they print it in the first place ? It's not an honest mistake by any stretch of the word honest. They got found out because their mode of dishonesty was so stupid and now they are trying to pretend it never happened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You guys are just so gracious.....

Man you have coined a rule. There is a corollary to the rule, and its a sad one that conservatives fall under as well, and I hate it from both sides.

We conservatives, at least our mouth pieces, had/have the tendency to justify things we did/do by pointing to Clinton.....I cringe when we do that.

Its utter intellectual dishonesty. IF it is being done to illustrate the medias handling of the 2 presidents, it can be illustrative, but commonly it is

Obama does bad but thats OK because Bush did the same bad.

Im glad the justice system hasnt gone that way yet

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have such mixed reactions to the IBD apology, on the one hand it is hilarious, on the other I feel revulsion at the slyness and deception. Perhaps from a three year old it would be more funny. They claim the NHS would have dismissed Stephen Hawking's life as worthless and left him to die, not realising Hawking was from the UK and is alive thanks to the treatment given by the NHS. The slander and fearmongering blew up in their face and they withdraw the statement and apologise. Sort of. They don't apologize for slandering the universal healthcare and the NHS saying it would have left Hawking to die, they apologize for implying Hawking did not live in the UK.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oneofthediaspora

Jul 9, 2008
Liverpool
✟9,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yea read Theodore Dalrymple. As a Dr in NHS service, he had a thing or 2 to say eh?

Yes. The difference there, however, is that the things he writes about are actually true and actual problems.
I've worked in the NHS long enough now to realise where its problems are.
IBD, Sean Hannity, Grassley et al really do not need to invent lies about the NHS. Doing so makes them appear dishonest and stupid and this does not help their case.

Upvote 0