• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Staying off the weed

Status
Not open for further replies.

stelow

Legend
Sep 16, 2005
HEAVEN!!!
✟49,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I am 52 and still smoke pot. I have quit so many times I can’t count them, but I always end up smoking again. A lot people seem to say if you want to quit you will no excuses. Is there something I am missing? I quit but I always end up going back to it. Why do I enjoy something that I know can’t be very healthy in the first place? Am I nuts and just secretly wanting to destroy myself, like a gradual taking of one’s life? It is not that hard to quit (except for the people around me) but eventually I always return to the same old routine. I get really edging and I am ready to go off on everyone.

jerry ralph

Oct 14, 2004
mountain grove missouri
Visit site
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
I am 52 and still smoke pot. I have quit so many times I can’t count them, but I always end up smoking again. A lot people seem to say if you want to quit you will no excuses. Is there something I am missing? I quit but I always end up going back to it. Why do I enjoy something that I know can’t be very healthy in the first place? Am I nuts and just secretly wanting to destroy myself, like a gradual taking of one’s life? It is not that hard to quit (except for the people around me) but eventually I always return to the same old routine. I get really edging and I am ready to go off on everyone.
I smoked dope from the time I was 20 to 52. I smoked like a wood stove. I used to roll three big joints to take to work with me. I smoked one when I first got up, one on the way to work, and from 5pm on I smoked one after the other till I went to sleep. I sold a lot of pot, but never really made any money. I gave more pot away than most people smoke. If you are a true pot head (you sound like one) you know what I mean. I thought for years if I could just smoke dope and not drink or use powder, I would be okay. How wrong I was. I had rationalized smoking dope to the point that I thought it was good for you. Kind of a religious thing. After all, the Jamicians did it. What really happened was that I became emotionally addicted to weed and unless I was high (actually the first joint was the only one that got me high, the rest were just wasted), unless I was high I didn't feel right. Also I found weed to be a social thing. You know the group thing of passing one around, even if it wasn't any good........you know what I mean, I know you do.........................anyway I didn't think that I would ever want to not smoke dope, but that has happened. It took a year or so to really get away from the obsession of wanting to get high. Today I am so grateful that I don't have to smoke. I wasted a lot of time and money just looking for smokin' dope. I was always ready to buy, and had money put back just for dope when I needed shoes or something else............I got clean and sober almost eight years ago (9-12-98) and I started riding a bicycle. I get so much higher out of exercise today than I ever did out of dope.......Also just sitting down and feasting on the Word of God in my right mind, takes me soaring.........

Try NA,..........I attend AA and NA and have found it a wonderful place to share Jesus Christ when the opportunity arises............keep in touch please.

Jerry ralph

Upvote 0

jerry ralph

Oct 14, 2004
mountain grove missouri
Visit site
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks for sharing, Jerry the social aspect of it is the only social aspect in my life. So if I quit, I got no one. Which is worse to have absolutely no friend or die a little earlier? When I quit I am miserabley lonely time almost stops.
Thanks for responding........try geting to a meeting and share with some people who are like yourself and are not using.......I have made some lasting relationships with clean addicts at meetings. After some time it will be easier for you to be around your old friends without using. I know this for a fact, and many will want what you have, not the other way around of you wanting what they have...........keep in touch my friend.......jerry

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Staff would like to remind everyone of this CF rule.

3.5 Controversial Topics to Be Discussed Only in Certain Forums​

A. You will not post content regarding the following subjects anywhere on CF except in Ethics & Morality, Liberal Theology, Christian Philosophy, or any subforums in the Congregation or Recovery* categories:​

drug use

*You will not make posts promoting or endorsing any of these subjects in Recovery forums.

Upvote 0

stelow

Legend
Sep 16, 2005
HEAVEN!!!
✟49,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
In those meetings you would be introduced to the most aggressive style of recovery available, the 12 Steps.

With a 5% success rate these programs are helping a few, but to say it's the most aggressive style of recovery would be an over statement of the facts.

Upvote 0
M

mebby02

trying to addiction services and start going support groups it will change your life. Talk to God do what is best for you. You can't quit like cold turkey just do 1 a day and see if you can live like that. Keep doing that for as long as u feel ready for the next step do one every other day after a while you will not feel like you need it anymore. Trust me you should try it l hope everything works out for u

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stelow

Legend
Sep 16, 2005
HEAVEN!!!
✟49,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
trying to addiction services and start going support groups it will change your life. Talk to God do what is best for you. You can't quit like cold turkey just do 1 a day and see if you can live like that. Keep doing that for as long as u feel ready for the next step do one every other day after a while you will not feel like you need it anymore. Trust me you should try it l hope everything works out for u

Thanks mebby u sound like u really no your stuff about this. It's hard when u have others around wanting u to get high with them everyday. I want to stop but feel I just need to go some where away to get away from those who want me stoned with them. :help:

Upvote 0
A

AngelDove1

myprayersrwithu.jpg

Upvote 0

Ruth~

Legend
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
✟67,483.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks mebby u sound like u really no your stuff about this. It's hard when u have others around wanting u to get high with them everyday. I want to stop but feel I just need to go some where away to get away from those who want me stoned with them. :help:
Praying for you to find the answers for your problems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Am I nuts and just secretly wanting to destroy myself, like a gradual taking of one’s life? It is not that hard to quit (except for the people around me) but eventually I always return to the same old routine. I get really edging and I am ready to go off on everyone.
In all sincerity I want to suggest that you may be onto something there. I know I get self-destructive when I get overly-angry and let it fester inside. I get tempted to abuse alcohol or food when I'm feeling that way.

It's possible that a counselor might be able to help you get at the root of your feelings. Maybe there's some woundedness there that won't go away by itself and you're "medicating" it with pot.

Maybe just starting a journal and writing down your bad feelings would be sufficient- or some other healthier way of dealing with it. I think you're onto something. I would pursue it some more.

Reactions: stelow
Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian

I know how that is. I was going to point this out, but I see you already know, those around us really can hinder our trying to quit. You should try to associate with people who are supportive of you having a healthy lifestyle and get away from those who are not interested in positive things.

I'll be praying for you and to get into a more healthy environment and hopefully better friends. good friends want what is good for you, not destructive. God bless

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
For me, I had to really move to get away from the old lifestyle and people. Maybe that is something. I ended up moving back in with mom, she is clean cut and healthy, and I can't do dope around her. Living with someone like that really helped take the possibility of getting back into old ways helped a lot. (now if your mom does dope, find someone else, I know several who smoke dope with mom, and I don't recommend that, be around responsible, healthy people whoever they may be)

I hope things work out well for you :wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.