Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Just wait, coming soon to America...

Is your baby playing with its toes yet? If not the government wants to know why

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]· Children to be monitored from birth to age five
· New curriculum sets 69 'early learning goals'
[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Lucy Ward, social affairs correspondent
Wednesday March 14, 2007
The Guardian

[/FONT]
sp.gif
baby.jpg

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Babies' ability to touch their toes will be used to assess their development. Photograph: Getty/Altrendo
[/FONT]
Babies will be assessed on their gurgling, babbling and toe-playing abilities when they are a few months old under a legally enforced national curriculum for children from birth to five published by the government yesterday.
Every nursery, childminder and reception class in Britain will have to monitor children's progress towards a set of 69 government-set "early learning goals", recording them against more than 500 development milestones as they go.
At five, each child will be assessed against 13 scales based on the learning goals and their score, called an early years profile, must be passed to the Department for Education and Skills.
When children enter compulsory schooling, they should be able to read simple sentences using a phonics-based approach, count reliably up to 10 and sing simple songs from memory, as well as respecting others' beliefs and learning to share and take turns.
The Early Years Foundation Curriculum, which comes into effect from September 2008, replaces non-statutory guidance already in place. If nurseries or other care providers want to opt out of the new requirements, for example because they follow an educational philosophy that introduces reading at a later age, they will have to apply for an exemption, and would have to forfeit any state funding.
The Department for Education and Skills's framework immediately came under attack from the National Confederation of Parent Teacher Associations (NCPTA) and from the Tories for taking an excessively prescriptive approach and targeting children far too young.
Margaret Morrissey of the NCPTA said: "I think it's really sad that we have reached the point now where instead of reducing children's stress we have increased it ... It worries me that we are expecting children to reach these targets when they have not even had their first birthday."
Anne McIntosh, shadow minister for children, condemned the framework as "formalised learning for very small children" that risked damaging youngsters' development. She said: "It is inappropriate to have such detailed inspection of children this young. We should leave it to the professional judgment of teachers. These new targets mark an unprecedented supervision of children from birth to primary school, and I do not think that they are necessary or will work. Every child is different and develops at different stages in different ways."
The DfES says the framework is a means of ensuring high standards of early education and care that will reassure parents that their child's development is being supported, no matter what form of childcare or pre-school education they use.
Beverley Hughes, the children's minister, denied the goals would lead to a "tickbox approach" to assessing children, though she acknowledged this had happened under the previous system. She rejected suggestions that a 92-page set of practice guidance featuring 513 skills and attitudes children should acquire which accompanies the framework was excessively detailed.
"I don't think it is prescriptive. I think the examples we have got in there are really what brings it to life for practitioners."
She said the framework document was intended for nursery staff to make sure they adopt a "rigorous approach".
"The children's experience will be free, it will be based on play, it will be rich," Ms Hughes said. "But the professionals behind that are required to have a thinking approach to the care of other people's children."
Scrutiny
According to the practice guidance, babies from birth to 11 months should be assessed for "the different ways babies communicate, such as gurgling when happy". As they begin to scrutinise the skills children need for writing, carers should note the interest infants show in "the marks they make when they rub a rusk round the tray of a feeding chair".
In preparation for learning about numbers, babies will be monitored on whether they enjoy "finding their nose, eyes or tummy".
Childcare groups broadly welcomed the framework but warned that moves to support children's development by close observation could be jeopardised by government rules stating that one member of staff can look after up to 13 children aged three and over.
Steve Alexander, chief executive of the Pre-school Learning Alliance, the country's largest voluntary provider of childcare said: "We retain our strong view that the staff to child ratio of 1:13 ... is too low and should be 1:8. This point has particular pertinence given the framework stipulates that assessments through the foundation stage take the form of observation via 'look, listen and note'."
Purnima Tanuku, chief executive of National Day Nurseries Association, said: "We question how practitioners will be able to give children the right support they need to progress in their learning and development with such a high ratio."
Now pay attention: What your offspring should be doing - and when
Birth-11 months
· Communicate in a variety of ways including crying, gurgling, babbling and screaming
· Play with their own fingers and toes and focus on objects around them
· Discover mark-making by chance, noticing, for instance, that trailing a finger through spilt juice changes it
Eight-20 months:
· Become absorbed in putting objects in and out of containers
· Get to know and enjoy daily routines, such as getting up time, meal times, nappy time and bed time
16-26 months:
· Begin to move to music, listen to or join in with rhymes or songs
· Express feelings within warm, mutual, affirmative relationships
· Make random marks with their fingers and some tools
22-36 months:
· Have some understanding of the numbers one and two, especially when the quantity is important for them
· Show increasing control in holding and using hammers, books, beaters and mark-making tools
30-50 months
· Be able to use simple statements and questions often linked to gestures
· Form friendships with other children
40-60+ months
· Understand what is right, what is wrong and have a conception of why this is
· Complete a simple program on a computer
· Value and contribute to own well-being and self-control · Begin to use talk to pretend imaginary situations

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

I'm just like the others...
Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Some kids are going into primary school not knowing how to talk properly and going into secondary school unable to read and write. A lot of these kids are being let down by the nursery system. Do bear in mind this is just for state funded nurseries. Even so, I'm not entirely convinced this is the right way to go about it. I certainly think whole concept of early years assessment/profile rather unnecessary.

Upvote 0

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think this could mostly be aimed at the nursery staff more than anything else. I know my mother didn't like the nurseries she left us at occasionally because the staff seemed to be just there to make sure we didn't kill ourselves and spent most of the time sitting around doing nothing.

Upvote 0

holyorders

Miserable Pile of Secrets
Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Aldoues Huxley, anyone?
Chapter 2 in Brave New World said:
"Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Deltas.[/FONT][/FONT]Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly colour. I'm so glad I'm a Beta."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
16-26 months:
· Begin to move to music, listen to or join in with rhymes or songs

My ten month old loves dancing. Whenever music is playing she bounces, shakes her head, waves her hands and giggles. So I'll tick that one off, shall I?

As a product of Steiner education I find the concept of children being expected to read when they are four is appalling.

Is Blair trying to go out with a bang, or what?

Upvote 0

benedictine

No Surrender, No desertion - Whatever Happens.
Nov 1, 2003
a round blue, brown and green sphere, floating in
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Blair wants to be the President of the United Kingdom, rather than PM. He does not like being the head of Her Majesty's government, and doesn't like the queen either. I don't like him for those reasons, and I'm not even british.

I think he is trying to go out with a bang, although nothing is going to get better because of it.

Long live the Queen!

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
· Discover mark-making by chance, noticing, for instance, that trailing a finger through spilt juice changes it
This just in...

Parents across the UK are intentionally spilling their babies' sippy cups for signs of so-called "mark-making" experimentation by said infants.

On an unrelated note, paper towel sales across the island have skyrocketed...

Upvote 0

benedictine

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
God save our gracious Queen,
long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
happy and glorious,
long to reign over us,
God save the Queen!

Thy choicest gifts in store
on her be pleased to pour,
long may she reign:
may she defend our laws,
and ever give us cause
to sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen!

Nor on this land alone,
but be God's mercies known
from shore to shore:
Lord, make the nations see
that men should brothers be,
and form one family
the wide world o'er.

Upvote 0

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You do realise that was written because the catholic Charles Edward Stewart was within days of reclaiming the English throne deprived of his grandfather James II because of his Catholicism and taken by the calvanist William of Orange and passed on to the protestant Germans who are the ancestors of the current (politically inconsequencial) monarchy.

The original last verse was:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!

And during a later Jacobite rebellion in Scotland this one was added briefly:

From France and Pretender
Great Britain defend her,
Foes let them fall;
From foreign slavery,
Priests and their knavery,
And Popish Reverie,
God save us all.

I've always had mixed feelings about that tune since I worked that one out...

Appreciate the sentiment though. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
Blair wants to be the President of the United Kingdom, rather than PM. He does not like being the head of Her Majesty's government, and doesn't like the queen either. I don't like him for those reasons, and I'm not even british.

I think he is trying to go out with a bang, although nothing is going to get better because of it.

Long live the Queen!

Lots of British people aren't fond of the monarchy, but I think Blair himself likes the queen.

Upvote 0

benedictine

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Lots of British people aren't fond of the monarchy, but I think Blair himself likes the queen.

Really? That's not the impression I got, but I'll take your word for it.

I'll ask a Welsh lady: Pouge, what what do you think of Her Majesty?

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
Really? That's not the impression I got, but I'll take your word for it.

I'll ask a Welsh lady: Pouge, what what do you think of Her Majesty?

I'm glad you asked :)
I'm opposed to the monarchy- I don't see the point of it, and I think it's shameful that they receive so much money just because of an accident of birth when we have so many social problems which require more money to solve.
The Queen herself is probably very nice, and I've got no personal dislike of her (I'm not too fond of most of the other royals, though) but I don't think the monarchy has any place in modern Britain.

Upvote 0

benedictine

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I'm glad you asked :)
I'm opposed to the monarchy- I don't see the point of it, and I think it's shameful that they receive so much money just because of an accident of birth when we have so many social problems which require more money to solve.
The Queen herself is probably very nice, and I've got no personal dislike of her (I'm not too fond of most of the other royals, though) but I don't think the monarchy has any place in modern Britain.

Perfectly acceptable opinion, and you bring up a good point.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.