Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Among Christians, there is a fear that if the United States allows same-sex marriage, it will threaten everything that marriage stands for. Some feel that we are coming to a place where the institution of marriage will be destroyed by the passing of this law. Well guess what?

We are already there.

We as Christians need to stand up for ALL that is wrong with society AND marriage, not just a piece of it.

We need to stand up for marriage to be treated as it should, but this isn't limited to same-sex marriages. We need to stand up for marriage being a lifetime commitment between ONE man and ONE woman, becoming ONE flesh.

We need to stand up for children who get bullied because they are saving themselves for marriage. Conversely, we need to stand up for adults being told there is something wrong with them because they are STILL saving themselves for marriage.

We need to stand up for Christian women wearing APPROPRIATE clothing.

We need to stand up for the BIBLICAL version of what it means to be a wife, or a husband.

We need to stand up for staying in the marriage one is in, even when it gets hard.

We need to stand up for the reasons why God wants it to be that way, and stop being scared of what people will say if we do.

The sad thing about the same-sex marriage issue is that it took something like THIS to get us to realize that the sanctity of marriage is being threatened, and even sadder is that some people will never realize or even admit that this is not the only thing that is hurting it!

I do realize that some will not like this message. Many didn't like Christ's message, for the same reason some won't like this one: because it challenges the normal way of thinking. I apologize for any hurt feelings.

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
motherprayer-

During the time of Christ there were pagan marriage ceremonies, as well as Jewish marriage ceremonies. Each of these entailed certain responsibilities which each partner to the marriage accepted. And the same should be taught today to those who profess to be Christians.

Marriages were becoming a caricature of their true nature long before the gay marriage issue arose. In 1967 a minister told me that a couple had gone to him requesting that he perform the marriage ceremony for them. Since he didn't know either of them, and he had the same attitude toward marriage as we have (my wife and I were married for 41 years when she died in 2008), he decided to ask them some questions in order to find out what their attitude was toward marriage.

One of the questions which he asked them was this: "What would you do if in ten years or so you came to a particular situation where you disagreed with each other?" The answer from the woman caused him to refuse to perform the ceremony. It was, "We'll get a quiet divorce."

For us who are Christians to tell those who themselves refuse to accept Christ how they are to conduct their lives is for us to deny the reality that there are those whose definition of what constitutes proper societal behavior does not conform to ours. Our efforts are better directed at those who state that they want to live a Christian life. Even St. Paul wrote that our code of conduct is to be seen as pertaining to believers, rather than to the unbelievers who surround us:

I have written to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people - not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. (I Corinthians 5:9-13a,NIV)

Those who choose to follow a different path than Christianity are to be judged by God himself, rather than by us. As Christians we have a moral code which we ourselves are to live by, and that moral code has put strict stipulations on who may marry inside the church. It is our responsibility to teach fellow Christians that these stipulations are always to be followed, irregardless of whatever societal pressures might come our way due to the desires of those who are outside the church. Their approval of departing from these stipulations in no way should influence whether or not we as Christians will continue to adhere to them.

Upvote 0

mog144

Jul 18, 2011
Atop Mount Zion "Heaven"
✟1,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Among Christians, there is a fear that if the United States allows same-sex marriage, it will threaten everything that marriage stands for. Some feel that we are coming to a place where the institution of marriage will be destroyed by the passing of this law. Well guess what?

We are already there.

We as Christians need to stand up for ALL that is wrong with society AND marriage, not just a piece of it.

We need to stand up for marriage to be treated as it should, but this isn't limited to same-sex marriages. We need to stand up for marriage being a lifetime commitment between ONE man and ONE woman, becoming ONE flesh.

We need to stand up for children who get bullied because they are saving themselves for marriage. Conversely, we need to stand up for adults being told there is something wrong with them because they are STILL saving themselves for marriage.

We need to stand up for Christian women wearing APPROPRIATE clothing.

We need to stand up for the BIBLICAL version of what it means to be a wife, or a husband.

We need to stand up for staying in the marriage one is in, even when it gets hard.

We need to stand up for the reasons why God wants it to be that way, and stop being scared of what people will say if we do.

The sad thing about the same-sex marriage issue is that it took something like THIS to get us to realize that the sanctity of marriage is being threatened, and even sadder is that some people will never realize or even admit that this is not the only thing that is hurting it!

I do realize that some will not like this message. Many didn't like Christ's message, for the same reason some won't like this one: because it challenges the normal way of thinking. I apologize for any hurt feelings.

Great post, to assist you in your plea I offer more fact that may be measured, seen and felt, and it defines everything that you stand for. I've been pressing this theory for a while now but it seems that no one is catching on to it so I present it again in your thread as I have in another concerning this topic.

"Becoming one flesh", do you truly understand what this means? It can be illustrated in a Bar Magnet, the North and South Poles are different and yet they reside in ONE mass (Glorified Flesh by Covenant) of the Iron Body. They are male and female. Same sex marriage forms a new Law, it changes the physics of God's Law, as well. It's (spiritually) the same as creating a magnet with 2 North Poles (male) or 2 South Poles (female). Have we on this Earth a magnet that has 2 Poles alike? Read on and open your mind's eye to understanding this, as this explains also what Paul writes about in Romans ch 1. Knowing this leaves us as Romans without excuse to marry the same sex or commit any transgression against God's Law. Our Refigerator magnets should be as a reminder as to how we should consider marriage. I don't see Doves or Deer, etc. mating with same sex. It's just us sinners.

Same sex marriage is not only a natural/physical action but also spiritual, and that is where we see this Law become manifest in both Nature and Human. All of Nature remains humble to our Creator (except humankind).

But sadly, we have violated God's Laws and have become like fragmented magnets. We who are surviving will be turned back toward the correct Polarity when God Returns and I see this governed by ONE Law and ONE Designer.

God bless you... :)

BTW, this same Law can solve the dispute between Creationists and Evolutionists; they both have some valid points but they both miss the target. That's another topic so I won't hijack this thread. Let's let God, the Designer of the Magnet show us using our own refrigerator magnets to teach us about marriage and how we should be fearing Him, as well.

127487d1343343927-divine-polarity.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, what is your definition of "appropriate clothing"? Because even Christians cannot agree on what is appropriate or not.

Second, what about Christian MEN wearing appropriate clothing?

Before I answer, Id like to hear your own thoughts regarding appropriate clothing. What would you say is appropriate for a woman - any woman, not just a Christian - when in public?

Upvote 0

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Thankyou for having the courage to post these posts. I know how hard it is to stand up for traditional marriage, even on a Christian Forum of all places. I have done it here in the past and those of you that have been friends with me for a while all know what happened to me back then. I thankyou but get ready for the backlash. We need to pray for all of us that stand up for traditional marriage, its not easy, its a challenge in our faith these days.

Upvote 0

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Just checking in to remind y'all that not all Christians agree with your opinion when it comes to marriage.

It's laid out in the Bible black and white, if they don't wanna "agree" with it whatever, but they are disagreeing with God, not a place I'd like to be. The Bible means exactly what it says, its not open to "interpretation"

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's laid out in the Bible black and white, if they don't wanna "agree" with it whatever, but they are disagreeing with God, not a place I'd like to be. The Bible means exactly what it says, its not open to "interpretation" (emph. added)

Well...except for the parts that you don't agree with of course. Those parts you probably interpret, right? :wave:
tulc(hasn't found anyone yet in over 40+ years of following Jesus where eventually someone doesn't "interpret" the Bible when it disagrees with them) :sorry:

Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well...except for the parts that you don't agree with of course. Those parts you probably interpret, right? :wave:
tulc(hasn't found anyone yet in over 40+ years of following Jesus where eventually someone doesn't "interpret" the Bible when it disagrees with them) :sorry:

So what about gay marriage? Whats ur opinion on that?

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yea that's a hard one. It took a whole lot of maturity and faith for me to finally understand that even if I "disagree" with what God's Word says, I have to follow it ;-)

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just checking in to remind y'all that not all Christians agree with your opinion when it comes to marriage.

Of course not. Many Christians believe that what they desire is more important than what God desires OF them. In fact, the vast majority of Christians I have met have more understanding of verses that "support" their lifestyle than they do anything else.

To be clear, my post wasn't about gay marriage. It was about the mote that is in the collective "eye" of those in the Christian realm who would condone divorce but lobby against other so-called threats to "traditional" marriage.

I'm curious, though - what part of my post did you disagree with?

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea that's a hard one. It took a whole lot of maturity and faith for me to finally understand that even if I "disagree" with what God's Word says, I have to follow it ;-)

Me too. That doesn't change the fact that we will still interpret something, that's part of being human. :wave:
tulc(should pour more coffee) :)

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Me too. That doesn't change the fact that we will still interpret something, that's part of being human. :wave:
tulc(should pour more coffee) :)

This is true. I think even the realization of that is a sign of growth, because knowing that even my interpretation of the Bible is flawed keeps me teachable when I learn a new truth from it - and there are ALWAYS new truths to be learned!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
C

Caesars Ghost

The prejudice described as righteousness in the OP is a tragic reflection that things haven't changed much in America.
At one time interracial marriage was condemned for the same reasons.

One thing that always seems to be missed however is that the marriage described in the Bible is one committed in the eyes of God. Not through permission of the State.

While marriage in the secular realm is accomplished through the State.

And the establishment clause in the first amendment insures the two are unrelated. So, if the religious church going types are opposed to gay marriage all that's needed is not to seek out a State issued marriage license for themselves as straight Christians, and to preclude gays from having their State licensed marriage ceremony in the church.

Marriage is not property of the Christian religion.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

mog144

Jul 18, 2011
Atop Mount Zion "Heaven"
✟1,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The prejudice described as righteousness in the OP is a tragic reflection that things haven't changed much in America.
At one time interracial marriage was condemned for the same reasons.

One thing that always seems to be missed however is that the marriage described in the Bible is one committed in the eyes of God. Not through permission of the State.

While marriage in the secular realm is accomplished through the State.

And the establishment clause in the first amendment insures the two are unrelated. So, if the religious church going types are opposed to gay marriage all that's needed is not to seek out a State issued marriage license for themselves as straight Christians, and to preclude gays from having their State licensed marriage ceremony in the church.

Marriage is not property of the Christian religion.
I really don't know where to begin and where to end but I'll give this a try...

I never ever thought that I'd hear anyone speak in the manner as you do. I'm really impressed (Bless you) as to how you have distinguished between the laws of marriage, you are very insightful. I say this without reading any of your other posts; this is my observation at surface level, I don't know what you fully believe in but this one post is enough to show me that you have sight that is unlike the mainstream population. :D

God's ways are not our ways, and we, the entire world is in transgression right now, this is the whole reason for God's Return. A few things that I consider, which are written: the dragon deceives the entire world; the end will be as in the days of Noah when they where eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage; the last generation is wicked and adulterous; God calls Israel a harlot.

The difference is the marriage (agreement/contract) that we practice today is just like that in the days of Noah; the rules of marriage were designed to be broken, as they were marrying and giving away in marriage. The Protestant view says that this passage is saying that the people in the days of Noah were simply going about their everyday life when the Flood came and took them away to destruction. IMO, their view is most "Destructive" to one's soul as it is desensitizing the listener and illustrates a cynical God who employs genocide. The wool has been pulled over our eyes as we of this generation were born into this present-day age and lifestyle but there will come a change because God will not contend with man for much longer.

The State laws that which our present Marriage licenses are based upon are not the same laws of God. Even Jesus said that marriage is for those who God helps. Marriages are to be determined by God so that He may control the population according to His Original Blueprint and keep all things in-check with Earth and the entire Universe. The Earth would then be operating precisely as it should and then the world could then live for Eternity on this Regenerating Earth that God Created to Live for Eternity.

We, humans have followed the serpent's lie that we may go on living for eternity WITHOUT God and we became as gods, apart from God. We are living by the serpents laws and refuse to admit our shame for fear of injuring our pride, which God hates. Our marriage laws were written to appeal to the flesh and NOT the spirit. Our marriages can be broken as it was designed to be so but not by God because His Seed is not trodden but rather continually lives in an unbroken Family Chain.

This said, every marriage today is an adulterous one, we are a wicked and adulterous generation. All people who are married by any law outside of God's Will are committing the Unpardonable sin because it's a sin that they refuse to admit and to turn from therefore, it becomes unpardonable by God; He will not and most of all, cannot allow any such violation of His Law because sin would perpetuate for eternity and it will damage Him and His Eternal Plan which cannot be changed.

America is in for a Rude Awakening!

:preach:

Upvote 0

wordsoflife

Sep 18, 2012
✟2,417.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I think the reason that divorce is looked at differently than gay marriage is that usually a divorce happens and the parties are unhappy about it but feel that it can not be avoided. Gay marriage on the other hand is blatant and outright sin against God and an abomination. I do agree with you though divorce is a serious problem.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think to understand what is going on in the world today - people should read CS Lewis's book - "The Abolition of Man". He made some rather bold predictions for the time, and unfortunately they have essential come to pass. We have lost sight not only of what is right and wrong, but who we are as human beings. We have discarded objective truth for selfish relativism.

Upvote 0