✟1,357,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 6:10-13 ESV

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.”

While we still live on this earth in flesh bodies we are going to be subject to attacks from Satan, and to temptation to sin, to having wrong attitudes, to having wrong thinking, to giving way to fear, and to doubting God and his word, etc. And we are going to be tempted to join in with the world. But we who are followers of Christ should no longer be walking according to the flesh, but we should be walking daily according to the Spirit, but this involves daily discipline of mind, heart, words, and behaviors. Daily we must be those who are dying to sin and to self, and who are living for God.

And this is what is involved in putting on the whole armor of God. This engages the daily spiritual disciplines of the Christian life, according to the Scriptures. For the grace of God, which is bringing us salvation, trains us to renounce (say “NO!” to) ungodliness and worldly passions (fleshly lusts) and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives while we wait for our Lord’s return (see Titus 2:11-14). And Jesus said that to come after him we must deny self, take up our cross daily (die daily to sin and to self) and follow (obey) him (see Luke 9:23-26; cf. Romans 6:1-23; Romans 8:1-14).

Ephesians 6:14-17 ESV

“Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”

So, this engages the whole “put off” and “put on” lists in the Bible:

[Matt 5:27-30; Matt 7:21-23; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14; 1 Co 6:9-10; Gal 5:16-24; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 3:5-11; 1 Thes 4:1-8; 1 Tim 4:7; Titus 2:11-14; Heb 12:1-17; 1 Pet 1:14; 1 Pet 2:24; 1 Jn 1:5-10; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Jn 3:4-10]

In the book of Ephesians alone it tells us to put off our old sinful self and to put on our new self in Christ Jesus, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. And we are to put off lying, and to tell the truth, and to put off stealing, and to work and to be generous to those in need, and to stop speaking corruptly, but to speak what is good to help others. And we are to put off bitterness, wrath, anger, slander and malice, and we are to be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another.

Now we can only do any of this in the power, strength, and wisdom of God, and under his direction and under the direction of the teachings of the Scriptures. And we have to be those who are daily putting on the armor of God and who are not walking in the ways of the world and of the flesh. For we are not going to be able to fight off Satan and his attacks and his temptations if we are still living fleshly and worldly lives. We have to be daily dying to sin and living to God and to his righteousness in his power.

So, again, putting on the armor of God is putting on these daily spiritual disciplines we learn about in the Scriptures in how to combat sin and the flesh and the temptations of Satan. And we are not going to be able to do this if we are filling our minds with the things and the messages, attitudes, words, and deeds of this sinful world. That is counterproductive. We have to be those who are filling our minds with the things of God and who are walking in the ways of the Lord and no longer according to the flesh.

Ephesians 6:18-20 ESV

“Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.”

Prayer is essential to overcoming the devil and his evil schemes against us. But prayer isn’t just us mouthing words or making requests to God. Prayer to God is a two-way communication, and it engages us being in relationship with the Lord. But if we are still living in sin, making sin our practice, then according to the Scriptures we are not in relationship with Jesus Christ, we are not in fellowship and communion and in partnership with him because we are still lord of our own lives doing what our flesh dictates.

So, if you are making sin your practice, but then you are praying to God for help, but you aren’t listening to him, for sin is still what you want above God, don’t expect that God is going to help you or that you are going to be able to have victory over Satan and sin. Because prayer begins with a relationship with God because it is communion with God, or at least it begins with genuine repentance which then brings us into genuine relationship with our Lord. But we have to be listening to the Lord and doing what he says.

Now we are not to pray only for ourselves, but we are to be those who pray for other people and for their requests which are in accord with the will of God (at least not against God’s known will). And we should be praying for all Christians to follow in the ways of the Lord and to be able to resist the devil and to flee temptation and to walk in holiness and in righteousness. And we should pray for those who are teaching the truth of the gospel, that it may spread and that many people will die with Christ to sin and live to God and to his righteousness, in his power and strength, to the glory of God.

[Matt 7:21-23; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 9:23-26; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 15:1-2; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 9:28; 1 Pet 1:5; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-17; 1 Pet 2:24; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 3:6,14-15; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

Jesus, Rescue Me

An Original Work / September 18, 2011
Based off of Romans 7:7-8:39

Jesus, rescue me today.
Listen while I bow and pray.
I need Your help to obey You;
Live for You always.
Meet me in my hour of need, Lord,
As I pray to You.
Help me walk in fellowship, Lord,
Living in Your truth.
Jesus, how I long for You to