Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I used to work in restaurants that celebrated St. Patrick's Day with Irish food like Corned Beef and Cabbage and beer. I'm not a member of a church that recognizes Saints in the Catholic sense, but I do see the historical merit of Saint Patrick's life and Sainthood, which is formally designated by the Catholic Church and recognized by some other church organizations. My impression is that Christianity flowed out of Ireland to continental Europe, which I usually think of on St. Patrick's Day, although that's not directly part of his story.
Hiberno-Scottish mission - Wikipedia
Celtic Christianity - Wikipedia
Saint Patrick - Wikipedia

Apparently, it used to be that the abbot, who is in charge of the monastery, took precedence over the bishop, who is in charge of the parish priests. The two positions later merged in Ireland. The bishop of St. Patrick's Catholic Cathedral in Northern Ireland is the modern successor of the abbots and bishops that descend from St. Patrick, who founded the church presence in Armagh, Ireland around 444 AD. This designation is also claimed by the Anglicans. The picture below is of the new Catholic Church, but the original church building is Anglican (not pictured.) Archbishop of Armagh - Wikipedia

"In the medieval Irish church, the earliest bishops doubled as abbots, with the bishop becoming the junior of the two positions. From 8th century, if not earlier, the house of Armagh claimed foundation from Saint Patrick, and the position of comarba Pátraic ("successor of Patrick") was held by the abbot of Armagh until the position of abbot and bishop were merged again in the 12th century, with the creation of the archbishopric of Armagh."

I'm also putting below my favorite youtube video of the song Danny Boy, an ancient Irish melody with lyrics about a young man either going off to war or to become a Priest.
17361591-907543584171-4290564584369850965-n_orig.jpg

Reactions: anna ~ grace

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to work in restaurants that celebrated St. Patrick's Day with Irish food like Corned Beef and Cabbage and beer. I'm not a member of a church that recognizes Saints in the Catholic sense, but I do see the historical merit of Saint Patrick's life and Sainthood, which is formally designated by the Catholic Church and recognized by some other church organizations. My impression is that Christianity flowed out of Ireland to continental Europe, which I usually think of on St. Patrick's Day, although that's not directly part of his story.
Hiberno-Scottish mission - Wikipedia
Celtic Christianity - Wikipedia
Saint Patrick - Wikipedia

Apparently, it used to be that the abbot, who is in charge of the monastery, took precedence over the bishop, who is in charge of the parish priests. The two positions later merged in Ireland. The bishop of St. Patrick's Catholic Cathedral in Northern Ireland is the modern successor of the abbots and bishops that descend from St. Patrick, who founded the church presence in Armagh, Ireland around 444 AD. This designation is also claimed by the Anglicans. The picture below is of the new Catholic Church, but the original church building is Anglican (not pictured.) Archbishop of Armagh - Wikipedia

"In the medieval Irish church, the earliest bishops doubled as abbots, with the bishop becoming the junior of the two positions. From 8th century, if not earlier, the house of Armagh claimed foundation from Saint Patrick, and the position of comarba Pátraic ("successor of Patrick") was held by the abbot of Armagh until the position of abbot and bishop were merged again in the 12th century, with the creation of the archbishopric of Armagh."

I'm also putting below my favorite youtube video of the song Danny Boy, an ancient Irish melody with lyrics about a young man either going off to war or to become a Priest.
17361591-907543584171-4290564584369850965-n_orig.jpg

The only saint is Jesus in the sense of sinless life.

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The only time I was taught about saints was in my confirmation class in the Methodist Church. They consider Christians to be saints because of the grace of Jesus. The Catholic idea of Saints doesn't really bother me though because I think if you pray to one, Jesus hears the prayer at the same time, and it all works out. Do United Methodists believe in saints? – The United Methodist Church

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The only saint is Jesus in the sense of sinless life.
Not so; all the faithful are saints; those who are living and those who's mortal lives are past but live eternally in Christ. The Bible speaks of the "cloud of witnesses" these are the "saints".

Patrick is a mortal man who was a faithful servant of the Word; and as such the Church (My Lutheran Synod included) commemorates his life, and looks to his example as one who emulated Christ, and one whom we would do well to take Christian inspiration from.

Also, be mindful that this is the Traditional Theology forum and as such, one must not teach against traditional theological beliefs and practices, but these topics are open to discussion.

Mark

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I always find St Patrick's Day celebrations ironic, as that day falls during Great Lent, and St Patrick wouldn't be eating any of the foods that people eat that day.
Yes, the way that it is celebrated by many is a sin, in and of itself; this always makes me smile though....

Upvote 0