• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

st John's wort

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have started taking st John's wort because I'm having a time of struggle in my workplace and life in general and I want to feel happy, not irritable and snap at people which I have been unfortunately.

I know a lot of people are on stronger medicine, but st John's wort seems to lift my down times enough to get out of there enough to get by and get through.

do other people find st johns wort or other medicine helps.

I've never tried that but I did notice that my mood improved and my inner thoughts became more at peace when I became vegan and stopped eating processed food. You'd be surprised at how much what you eat affects the chemical balance inside your body which is what's behind moods and how you think etc. I can't even remember the last time I cried or felt sad praise God. I don't take any kind of prescription meds or over the counter meds.

Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Not a medicine, but there was a period in my life not that long ago when I drank a good bunch of water right when I woke up, and ate oatmeal soon after. I did that every day for a few months. It's this basic stuff our grandmothers probably have all said to us, but we don't really believe it. I did feel a bit better, I had more energy and my head didn't feel as "cramped", if that makes any sense. Usually people don't drink enough water, and their breakfast habits can be a bit strange.

Also, taking walks is awesome. I've started to take my mp3 player with me and go for walks, just listening to music I like and walk, without plans. I don't even know where I'm going, I just walk in whatever direction and and after some time I'm home again. Just go and don't think about it. I do make sure I don't walk face first into a wall though (or into traffic), so I'm not entirely lacking brain activity when I walk.

For actual anxiety I do have Oxazepam, but God willing, I'm taking it less and less every year. Slowly but perhaps surely.

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not a medicine, but there was a period in my life not that long ago when I drank a good bunch of water right when I woke up, and ate oatmeal soon after. I did that every day for a few months. It's this basic stuff our grandmothers probably have all said to us, but we don't really believe it. I did feel a bit better, I had more energy and my head didn't feel as "cramped", if that makes any sense. Usually people don't drink enough water, and their breakfast habits can be a bit strange.

Also, taking walks is awesome. I've started to take my mp3 player with me and go for walks, just listening to music I like and walk, without plans. I don't even know where I'm going, I just walk in whatever direction and and after some time I'm home again. Just go and don't think about it. I do make sure I don't walk face first into a wall though (or into traffic), so I'm not entirely lacking brain activity when I walk.

For actual anxiety I do have Oxazepam, but God willing, I'm taking it less and less every year. Slowly but perhaps surely.

Yes, I love oatmeal for breakfast every morning! Oatmeal and fruit and I also drink lots of water. I love going for walks when I can too when I can. The little things matter! :amen:

Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have started taking st John's wort because I'm having a time of struggle in my workplace and life in general and I want to feel happy, not irritable and snap at people which I have been unfortunately.

I know a lot of people are on stronger medicine, but st John's wort seems to lift my down times enough to get out of there enough to get by and get through.

do other people find st johns wort or other medicine helps.

I tried St. John's Wort for awhile to supposedly calm my nerves. That's what I had seen as a claim for its effects. I didn't get that effect, but noticed that I started having memory problems pretty bad. I was forgetting all kinds of things, and it was affecting my job. I stopped taking it and then my memory returned to normal.
But different things affect people differently, so it might be ok for you.

Upvote 0