Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
No they won't do that. :) Just put your fingers in the water, and they will come up and kiss your finger. The babies out in my pond just did that to me a few minutes ago. I thought they were afraid of me, but I guess it is the motion that scares them off. After several seconds of being very still, they were unafraid of my hand. They kept looking for food on my fingers. It was cool. ^_^

Awwr, that sounds really cute! ^_^

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Something odd is happening... and it is of course a very good thing.

For the last week we have not had any reports of posts in TAW. I have come to read here and everything is wonderfully calm and sweet.

I feel like it is summer recess and I get to go to the beach!

I love ya all! Thanks!

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yaaaay :) That's wonderful news!

Fishies sound adorably cute, i love when they come to kiss your fingers.

As to dress - thankyou to all those who posted lovely comments. Dressmaking can be expensive but it's a case of deciding what's worth it. For things like that dress it's much cheaper to make than to buy, but for a lot of everyday things it's just as cheap if not more to buy them. The reason I make so much of mine (besides enjoying it) is that I have weird tastes in clothes that tend towards the old fashioned (like the skirt I posted recently) or the really simple (like the summer dresses I've posted here before). For dressing up for things I'll have a lot more fun, but I've a firm belief in block colours (my favourite winter outfit is a denim skirt, cream turtleneck sweater and a red knit jacket over the top - all very plain) and simple clothes for everyday. So for me making those things is much easier, especially since most of what I make tends to be out of cotton (quilting fabric is excellent for this, especially quilt backing which is double-wide and good quality - and CHEAP) or else I get creative, like for a lot of my good winter skirts from the last few years which are made out of upholstery or curtain fabric - and I get compliments on them!

On the other hand, my sister thinks I dress terribly plainly and refers to some of my favourite summer dresses as potato sacks so YMMV :)

As a matter of fact, I have a dinnerdance coming up for one of my parishes and I'm going to borrow my friend Jo and we're going shopping for a dress for it, since I haven't had a new fancy winter dress in a few years :) No making that one for me, I know it will most probably be worth the money I pay to have the ease of not having to make it.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have had several skirts made for me. I am only 5'1" and to find a skirt that comes to my lower calf (the length I like) is very hard. Either the skirt is meant to be long and it trails on the floor, or it is full and meant to be shorter and just looks out of porportion on my body.

I wish I could afford to have pants made for me. Even the "petite" pants are too long between the belt line and the.... seat... not sure the term for the bottom of the top part of the pants before the legs of the pants start.

My torso is just shorter then petite clothes are designed for I guess.

But, having clothes made is more expensive. I have found that the skirts I had made were the same price as in the stores considering the cost to have them shortened. (And also because I buy the cheapest fabric.)

I have not thought about trying upholstry fabric. That might be good especially for a winter skirt.

All of my skirts I own but one is too big for me. :) I think it might be less expesive to have them altered then to replace them but I have not taken them in for a quote yet.

This summer I bought an inexpensive dress from a catelogue. I wear the one skirt that will still stay up or that dress to church.

If I had a job that didn't allow jeans I would be in trouble. The rest of the time I am in jeans if I am out and about. At home I don't care if my clothes are baggy.

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upholstery fabric is brilliant for winter, it's cheaper than wool most of the time and it comes in a lot more colours. Totally windproof, but not waterproof. Rubber backed (thermal) curtain fabric IS, which is great!

I wear jeans around the house most of the time, or stay in my pyjamas. I'm lazy like that :p

I'm 5'1' too, and clothes shopping is...not fun, most of the time. I always get my pants shortened. I'm also very thin (about 83lbs last I checked but I think I've lost weight again) which doesn't help. Custom making clothes is good.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No they won't do that. :) Just put your fingers in the water, and they will come up and kiss your finger. The babies out in my pond just did that to me a few minutes ago. I thought they were afraid of me, but I guess it is the motion that scares them off. After several seconds of being very still, they were unafraid of my hand. They kept looking for food on my fingers. It was cool. ^_^

When we set up the marine tank we will be getting a Lion Fish (and other things) and they are not able to be touched. Lion fishes have poison spines on their backs and if you touch the spines you will be in considerable pain.

lionfish.jpg

lionfish2.jpg

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Easier to keep in the tank than Blue Marlin, though...

billfish.jpg

Lionfish are really not that difficult to keep. The tank I have has a high end filter system that will keep the water in very good shape.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upholstery fabric is brilliant for winter, it's cheaper than wool most of the time and it comes in a lot more colours. Totally windproof, but not waterproof. Rubber backed (thermal) curtain fabric IS, which is great!

I wear jeans around the house most of the time, or stay in my pyjamas. I'm lazy like that :p

I'm 5'1' too, and clothes shopping is...not fun, most of the time. I always get my pants shortened. I'm also very thin (about 83lbs last I checked but I think I've lost weight again) which doesn't help. Custom making clothes is good.

83 lbs.... !!!! I do not even remember ever being that thin.... Maybe junior high??? Hanging around Greeks has not helped your weight gain??? unfathomable...lol....

Your dress was a hit with my daughter....I finished one of the corduroy skirts i will see if I can send you a pic.

Take care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I went to see Prince Caspian with my parishioners and it was great. We had some young men (early 20s) in our group who made appropriate comments at the right time, and that added so much to the movie. ;) They enjoyed the hugs and kisses. Ah, that age. :)

If you have a group of 20 or more, you can get discounted tickets and it is wonderful to be surrounded by those you love.

The movie portrayed pride and humility in a way that is not usually shown on the screen.

I really enjoyed the move and am thankful that Eisner is no longer in charge of Disney or this film could not have been produced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Howdy TAW!!! Sorry for my long absence. :) Things are going well here....hectic with wedding plans (only a month to go!) for July 11th...but we're doing very well. :)

I did not see you announce your engagement, congratulations! I am engaged as well, but our wedding won't be until late this year.

I hope all is well with you and your kids!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I did not see you announce your engagement, congratulations! I am engaged as well, but our wedding won't be until late this year.

I hope all is well with you and your kids!

Oh wow....yes, I've been engaged since last September. Sorry for neglecting you guys!

The kids are doing very good. They are so happy that school is out for the summer.

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Awwww, Justin! Thanks :) I'm glad you like them so much!

Philothei - thankyou, glad your daughter liked it :) And no, hanging around the greeks hasn't helped, inexplicably. I think I've LOST weight since hanging around them. So instead it is 'oooooh koukla mou, here, eat this. you're TOO THIN!!!' and everyone's constantly feeding me. I suppose illness is good for something right? :)

Photini - congratulations on your engagement! Many years to you and your fiance.

Maria - I saw Prince Caspian the other night too and loved it. I think it's a 'you know you're Orthodox' thing where you start seeing references to all these sacramental things that you would never have noticed before... very cool.

*grins* I sent my priest an email last night because he asked a couple questions and I told him I'd answer them in email so I had the chance to write out proper answers. It was...3 pages long. *coughs* I got back a very helpful email, but at the end he added that 'this is the longest email I've ever read - who needs publishers???'

Um...yeah. *bites lip* I am soooo gonna get teased on Sunday!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.