Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Most bugs, especially flying ones, strike fear into my heart. Palmetto bugs, June bugs, giant grasshoppers (you wouldn't believe the size of these guys), centipedes, scorpions....

The other terrorists that I deal with regularly, are the giant spiders in my shower. Seems like when they see you, they run AT you instead of away.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Photini said:
Most bugs, especially flying ones, strike fear into my heart. Palmetto bugs, June bugs, giant grasshoppers (you wouldn't believe the size of these guys), centipedes, scorpions....

The other terrorists that I deal with regularly, are the giant spiders in my shower. Seems like when they see you, they run AT you instead of away.
Oh, I'd believe you, Photini. I remember the locusts of my youth. Oh, I remember. And what is a locust, after all, but a very very VERY large grasshopper?

I have had similar experiences in one house I lived in (regarding the spiders). One was terrified to put one's feet down lest they charge them. And the water? Nuh-uh. Didn't faze them a bit.

Oh, and a casual recommendation to all and sundry... if you already have a wee bit of a dislike going on for all God's 8-legged beasties, don't watch Arachniphobia. The movie cements that nebulous dislike into raging fear and loathing. FYI.

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Vasya Davidovich said:
My favourite flying insects are the larger-than-a-man's-fist locusts of my childhood. These things apparently had no eyes, as they flew blindly, hitting whatever lay in their path.

There is nothing in the world as awful as having locusts land in your hair as you are trying to cross a darkened courtyard to get to the washroom.
[shudders]

Talking about locusts... did anyone else play "dodge the cicadas" last summer? I remember going to Florida for a week and during that time we had gotten a major invasion. I thought something was wrong with my car cuz of the weird sound until I figured out it was the cicadas. They provided non-stop entertainment for my cats tho. I love their sound, but I could have gone without the dead tree branches and their red eyes.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
khaleas said:
Talking about locusts... did anyone else play "dodge the cicadas" last summer? I remember going to Florida for a week and during that time we had gotten a major invasion. I thought something was wrong with my car cuz of the weird sound until I figured out it was the cicadas. They provided non-stop entertainment for my cats tho. I love their sound, but I could have gone without the dead tree branches and their red eyes.
You see, that is precisely the problem with these evil beasties. You can't dodge them. They are too dumb. And they don't have straightforward flight patterns (like a football has). And they are so bluidy numerous that it is vaguely as entertaining as trying to dodge the raindrops in a thunderstorm. Only, instead of merely getting wet, you get big large ugly things clinging to your hair or your face or your clothes with their scritchy-scratchy feet [not exactly the technical term, but it gets the point across]. This is not fun.

Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Pie-baking apron-clad hausfrau :D
Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I hate those little wheat beetles, or whatever they're called. They look like orange lady bugs. In the summer they all try to move into the house for some stupid reason. They manage to get through the screens on our windows. Those little suckers bite, too. I also hate those things my mom calls June bugs. Big orange flying things.....[shudders]:sick:

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta said:
Personally, I hate those little wheat beetles, or whatever they're called. They look like orange lady bugs. In the summer they all try to move into the house for some stupid reason. They manage to get through the screens on our windows. Those little suckers bite, too. I also hate those things my mom calls June bugs. Big orange flying things.....[shudders]:sick:

There is one bug I love above all others ... fireflies. I am just completely and utterly fascinated with those little things (as are the cats ;) ). I remember when I saw them the first time (we didn't have them in Finland, now I've seen a few there too). I've been known to sit on the balcony for hours just looking at them... Yup, I'm weird. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Khaleas

Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
xenia said:
I like ladybugs. I even like 'em close up. Fireflies are nice but up close they are still too buggy.

I like lady bugs, although I've actually gotten bit by one (and they claim they can't bite)... still like them tho. I like fireflies because they won't attack you either.

Eh, I think I'm getting a case of cabin fever... this darn cold weather has lasted long enough, I'm ready for spring (and summer)... but they say at least another two weeks... :sigh:

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Matrona said:
Bugs... bug me. Give me bunnies instead! :)

:D I have live-in pest control! The exterminators don't even bother to come in because they know I have cats (except for possibly to play with the cats). They keep saying that if you have cats, you rarely have pests. Those hairy beasts eat just about any creepy crawly.
I remember one morning I lifted my purse and under it was a big spider. Down the stairs comes a flying cat and *wham* the spider is breakfast.

I just suggested a bunny to my husband... he said: No bunnies! :( Oh well, I guess I have to give him credit for three cats and a dog. He keeps claiming that when he goes out to sea for a deployment he's going to come back to a zoo. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
khaleas said:
He keeps claiming that when he goes out to sea for a deployment he's going to come back to a zoo. :D

Tell him about my dad, then... after my bunny Tyler went to Rainbow Bridge, my mother and I went to the pet shelter to see if they had any rabbits, and to adopt one if they happened to have any. The pet shelter takes in dogs and cats normally, but they also occasionally have bunny rabbits, so I was hoping we would luck out.

Well, imagine my dad's surprise when we came back having adopted not one, not two, but THREE animals?? They had two rabbits, and I couldn't forsake one for the other so my mom let me have them both... and while we were there, she fell in love with one of the cats, so she adopted him, too!

So... my dad's placed a ban on us ever going to the pet shelter again. :D

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Matrona said:
Well, imagine my dad's surprise when we came back having adopted not one, not two, but THREE animals?? They had two rabbits, and I couldn't forsake one for the other so my mom let me have them both... and while we were there, she fell in love with one of the cats, so she adopted him, too!

So... my dad's placed a ban on us ever going to the pet shelter again. :D

This is the reason I don't volunteer at the shelter. I would bring them all home. I do purebred rescue for the breed I have (although most breeders of this breed will take a cat back, no questions asked, so we don't have many ending up at shelters) and I've only had to pull one cat out of animal control, but it was heartbreaking. Prettiest little girl and sick as anything. I love my vet to death... she was there for a week and he charged me 36 dollars. He does a lot of rescue work. She is now spoiled rotten with the parents of one of my friends (they have another one of my cats) and they both recently retired so it's one cat each and that's all they do, pet the cats :) !

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Oh, by the way..... thank you to everyone who prayed for my parish a couple weeks ago (and Michael for posting the prayer request).

We had a tough situation but, thank God, things have been resolved. :) It's tough being a tiny mission parish, but God takes care of us. It seems like every time something goes wrong, we are able to work it out, with no small amount of thanks due to our wonderful priest.

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Matrona! I'm happy to hear all went well at your parish.

Our furnace blew in the coldest winter snap and the church is rather old (beginning of the 1900s). We were lucky to have two parishoners stay at the church and using heaters and carrying hot water to keep the pipes from freezing and the temperature from getting below 50. But it left a lovely hole in the budget. It just feels odd that there is still a need to link the spiritual with the monetary. I wish I could just plop down the 20 grand and we could forget about it, but haha, there is no way.

Ok, time for bed.... hopefully I'll get out of here tomorrow!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.