Spot the error!!!

P

Philis

Please tell me what you find wrong with the following exchange:

Person A: The creation account has been debated since early Christianity, even some of the early church fathers didn't take it as a literal historical account. Here are several quotes to show that this has been a topic of discussion amongst scholars since long before Darwin [insert quotes here]

Person B: You're just promoting theistic evolution, I'm not going to consider what you say.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Person A: The creation account has been debated since early Christianity, even some of the early church fathers didn't take it as a literal historical account. Here are several quotes to show that this has been a topic of discussion amongst scholars since long before Darwin [insert quotes here]

They took this very literally:

WE, however, are all FROM him; and as WE are FROM him, WE have INHERITED his title [of sin]. ...Indeed, THROUGH the first Adam, WE offended God by not observing His command. (ST. IRENAEUS, Against Heresies 3:22:4; 3:23:2; 5:16:3)

"Because by a man came death, by a man also comes resurrection" [1 Cor 15:21]. Here, by the word MAN, who consists of a body, as we have often shown already, I understand that it is a fact that Christ had a body. And if we are all made to live in Christ as WE were made to DIE IN ADAM, then, as in the flesh we were made to DIE IN ADAM, so also in the flesh are we made to live in Christ. Otherwise, if the coming to life in Christ were not to take place in that same substance in which WE DIE IN ADAM, the parallel were imperfect. (TERTULLIAN, Against Marcion 5:9:5, c. 210 AD)

EVERYONE in the world FALLS PROSTRATE under SIN. And it is the Lord who sets up those who are cast down and who sustains all who are falling [Psalm 145:14]. IN ADAM ALL DIE, and THUS the world FALLS PROSTRATE and requires to be SET UP AGAIN, so that in Christ all may be made to live [1 Cor 15:22]. (ORIGEN c. 244 AD Homilies on Jeremias 8:1)​

Original Sin Explained and Defended

Person B: You're just promoting theistic evolution, I'm not going to consider what you say.

That's called a strawman argument which is one of about half a dozen fallacious arguments TEs use continuously. There has always been some question about how literally you can take Genesis in the early chapters but there has never been, nor will there ever be, any question with regards to what is being taught about Adam, Eve and original sin.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand, Creationism is a New Testament doctrine and all Christians must be Creationists.

Have a nice day :)
Mark

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

The literal explanation of the creation account is difficult to understand and is critically dependent on the advancement of science. Earlier people did not have enough scientific knowledge to understand the literal meaning and thought it is a scientific mistake. This forced them to interpret it in other ways.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The literal explanation of the creation account is difficult to understand and is critically dependent on the advancement of science. Earlier people did not have enough scientific knowledge to understand the literal meaning and thought it is a scientific mistake. This forced them to interpret it in other ways.

No, this conversation she is imagining does not happen. The error is in the fallacious nature of the argument.

Phillis said:

It's a straw man argument, do I win a prize for finding the error?

A straw man is a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.​

Straw man, Wikipedia

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi philis,

You're probably right that the creation account has been debated for centuries, I don't really have any data regarding that. However, please understand that just because an issue has been debated; and just because there may have been some who believed the evolutionary, old age earth equation doesn't determine one wit what the truth is. It just means that men have never been in full agreement on this topic.

However, men have never been in full agreement that there is a God; or that there is a heaven or hell; or that some will receive the reward of eternal life and some won't. So your claim doesn't really mean anything. I can look on these threads and find discussions about whether or not 'hell' is real. There are some who believe that it is and some who believe that it isn't. I can drag up arguments and discussions supposedly held hundreds of years ago about the existence of hell and support either side with the 'well even in early church days there were some who believed' whatever is being discussed. But, it doesn't have any bearing on what is the truth.

Do the Scriptures teach that there is a place that is referred to as hell where those who refuse God's gift of mercy will be cast for ever?

Sure, I can find people on both sides of that fence, but I don't care about that, I care about what is the truth. Does this place that Jesus spoke of where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth for all eternity exist or not.

Similarly with your discussion. Yes, I absolutely would not be at all surprised that there have been those in the early days of the church who may have bristled at the idea of a young, miraculously created in mere moments universe? However, while you're digging up facts, can you find a poll that would give any idea as to what was the most widely accepted understanding in those days? I mean, yea, I'll give you that you may be able to name 15 people who support the old earth argument, but there were over 3,000 added to the kingdom of God on the first day of the proclamation of the gospel. So, 15 names that you can come up with over the next 1,000 years isn't such a great multitude of witnesses.

You see, my position, and no I can't give you any hard facts to support it as I think you'll find neither can you, is that the majority of believers in the first 200 years of the 'church' fully believed that God created the heavens and the earth and all that is in them in 6 real days. That yes, certainly as time marched on the issue of creation; the issue of hell; the issue of who will be saved and who won't; those issues were later obfuscated and it fits in absolutely perfectly with all the warnings of the first apostles that there would be wolves among us; there would be those who were not of us; there would be those who would preach a different gospel. Philis, it has been true since God first created that man, through some powerful work of God, begins with a strong faith based on truth and quickly wanders away. It has been shown over and over and over again this phenomenon that says Jesus walked among us and taught and instructed in the truth and then left us. For a while we followed that way, but very, very quickly we began to wander off.

Today, Philis, we are 2,000 years into wandering off. Why? Because you can point to men who in the early days of the church preached things that were not true. And those men taught and had their followers and they had their followers and they had theirs, on and on for 2,000 years. I'd like you to seriously consider something that Jesus said: "When the son of man returns, will he find faith upon the earth?" Just sit back and ask reflect and mull over and ask yourself, "Why did Jesus ask that question?"

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you mean, you think that nobody before Darwin thought that the creation account was allegory or that it represented an ancient cosmology?

Looking at their rep power, I don't think they'll be answering you soon.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WE, however, are all FROM him; and as WE are FROM him, WE have INHERITED his title [of sin]. ...Indeed, THROUGH the first Adam, WE offended God by not observing His command. (ST. IRENAEUS, Against Heresies 3:22:4; 3:23:2; 5:16:3)

"Because by a man came death, by a man also comes resurrection" [1 Cor 15:21]. Here, by the word MAN, who consists of a body, as we have often shown already, I understand that it is a fact that Christ had a body. And if we are all made to live in Christ as WE were made to DIE IN ADAM, then, as in the flesh we were made to DIE IN ADAM, so also in the flesh are we made to live in Christ. Otherwise, if the coming to life in Christ were not to take place in that same substance in which WE DIE IN ADAM, the parallel were imperfect. (TERTULLIAN, Against Marcion 5:9:5, c. 210 AD)

EVERYONE in the world FALLS PROSTRATE under SIN. And it is the Lord who sets up those who are cast down and who sustains all who are falling [Psalm 145:14]. IN ADAM ALL DIE, and THUS the world FALLS PROSTRATE and requires to be SET UP AGAIN, so that in Christ all may be made to live [1 Cor 15:22]. (ORIGEN c. 244 AD Homilies on Jeremias 8:1)​
Original Sin Explained and Defended
Remember the when you quoted church fathers from that webpage before? I pointed out to you that Origin interpreted Adam figuratively. Here are the quotes again.

the subjects of Adam and his son will be philosophically dealt with by those who are aware that in the Hebrew language Adam signifies man; and that in those parts of the narrative which appear to refer to Adam as an individual, Moses is discoursing upon the nature of man in general. For “in Adam” (as the Scripture says) “all die,” and were condemned in the likeness of Adam’s transgression, the word of God asserting this not so much of one particular individual as of the whole human race. For in the connected series of statements which appears to apply as to one particular individual, the curse pronounced upon Adam is regarded as common to all (the members of the race), and what was spoken with reference to the woman is spoken of every woman without exception.
Origen Contra Celsus Book 4 Ch 40
Your passage is actually Origen's interpretation of Jeremiah 10:12 It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens, rather than his interpretation of Genesis but we can see in the same homily that Origin interprets Adam figuratively as 'earth' in the Jeremiah quote.
The Lord who made the earth in his strength, who set right the inhabited world in his wisdom, and in his prudence he stretched forth the heaven. And we need the strength of the Lord with respect to our earth (for it is written regarding Adam, You are earth), for without the power of God we are unable to accomplish what does not concern the mind of flesh.​

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Remember the when you quoted church fathers from that webpage before? I pointed out to you that Origin interpreted Adam figuratively. Here are the quotes again.

Reasserting a position is not the same thing as defending it, let's look at the quote you find so compelling:

the subjects of Adam and his son will be philosophically dealt with by those who are aware that in the Hebrew language Adam signifies man; and that in those parts of the narrative which appear to refer to Adam as an individual, Moses is discoursing upon the nature of man in general. For “in Adam” (as the Scripture says) “all die,” and were condemned in the likeness of Adam’s transgression, the word of God asserting this not so much of one particular individual as of the whole human race. For in the connected series of statements which appears to apply as to one particular individual, the curse pronounced upon Adam is regarded as common to all (the members of the race), and what was spoken with reference to the woman is spoken of every woman without exception.
Origen Contra Celsus Book 4 Ch 40​

Origen is dealing with a skeptic who is shamelessly and ruthlessly attacks the Scriptures. His name was Celsus, thus the name of the document, Contra Celsus. Origen believed in a three-fold meaning of Scripture so to deal with a skeptic by treating Adam and Eve 'philosophically' does not abandon the literal meaning, it enhances it. He uses a pretty interesting ad hominem argument in chapter 38 about Hesiod. An ad hominem argument takes what the opposing view cannot deny, like something from the Bible when arguing with a Christian or something from a peer reviewed Scientific paper when dealing with a scientist.

Origen is not saying it's not literal, he is saying that even if you don't accept it as literally true isn't there a philosophical meaning that is no less significant.

Your passage is actually Origen's interpretation of Jeremiah 10:12 It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens, rather than his interpretation of Genesis but we can see in the same homily that Origin interprets Adam figuratively as 'earth' in the Jeremiah quote.
The Lord who made the earth in his strength, who set right the inhabited world in his wisdom, and in his prudence he stretched forth the heaven. And we need the strength of the Lord with respect to our earth (for it is written regarding Adam, You are earth), for without the power of God we are unable to accomplish what does not concern the mind of flesh.​

Ok, you have a quote and this irrelevant discussion of the context of the quote I used. That's not an argument, I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish but here is the quote again:

Then the opening statement from your brief and superficial treatment of the subject matter:

Your passage is actually Origen's interpretation of Jeremiah 10:12

Yes, the context of the statement regards Jeremiah, that much is true on the surface. When Origen is talking about Adam he has 1 Cor 15:22 in mind. He also comments on Romans 5:9:

The Church received from the Apostles the tradition of giving Baptism EVEN TO INFANTS. For the Apostles, to whom were committed the secrets of divine mysteries, knew that there is in everyone the INNATE STAINS OF SIN, which must be WASHED AWAY through water and the Spirit [cf. John 3:5; Acts 2:38]. (Commentaries on Romans 5:9)​

Like any Christian scholar he will have cross references and his treatment of Adam in the New Testament is not that Adam is figurative, as you have so erroneously maintained. Origen was an idealist and argued with skeptics. He warned against taking things too literally because it makes you very rigid when dealing with skeptics, which by the way, does not dismiss the literal interpretation.

What he is saying is even if you don't regard the narrative as a genuine historical event, does that diminish the philosophical meaning? His purpose is not to make a sound exposition of the Genesis account, it's certainly not an exegesis of the I Cor. 15 or Romans 5 passages. What he is saying that when you look at an alternative understanding of the text, apart from the literal interpretation, you can see the philosophical aspect.

I'm not chasing this around the mulberry bush with you. If you have a serious argument then make it. Otherwise my original point stands, the error is that Phillis has made a straw man argument.

Have a nice day :}
Mark

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

Philo, Legum Allegoriae 1

It would be a sign of great simplicity to think that the world was created in six days, or indeed at all in time; because all time is only the space of days and nights, and these things the motion of the sun as he passes over the earth and under the earth does necessarily make. But the sun is a portion of heaven, so that one must confess that time is a thing posterior to the world.

Therefore it would be correctly said that the world was not created in time, but that time had its existence in consequence of the world. For it is the motion of the heaven that has displayed the nature of time. (3) When, therefore, Moses says, “God completed his works on the sixth day,” we must understand that he is speaking not of a number of days, but that he takes six as a perfect number.

Reactions: KTskater
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi Mr. Dave,

Just so you know that position isn't correct according to the physical definition of the time of a day. A day is one rotation of the planet earth, or any planet, upon its axis, period. There is no need of sun or moon or any other heavenly body in all of the universe in order for the time of a day to pass upon the earth. All that is necessary is that the earth is, and it is spinning. Feel free to look up how the length of a day is determined in the EB (encyclopia britannica) or any other qualified teacher.

God bless you.
IN Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reasserting a position is not the same thing as defending it, let's look at the quote you find so compelling:
Origen Contra Celsus Book 4 Ch 40
Origen is dealing with a skeptic who is shamelessly and ruthlessly attacks the Scriptures. His name was Celsus, thus the name of the document, Contra Celsus. Origen believed in a three-fold meaning of Scripture so to deal with a skeptic by treating Adam and Eve 'philosophically' does not abandon the literal meaning, it enhances it. He uses a pretty interesting ad hominem argument in chapter 38 about Hesiod. An ad hominem argument takes what the opposing view cannot deny, like something from the Bible when arguing with a Christian or something from a peer reviewed Scientific paper when dealing with a scientist.

Origen is not saying it's not literal, he is saying that even if you don't accept it as literally true isn't there a philosophical meaning that is no less significant.
You need to realise the while Origen believed in a three-fold interpretation, he did not think every passage had each of the three meanings. Sometimes the literal meaning was simply not what the passage meant. Origen could be quite scathing towards people trying to take figurative passages in Genesis literally.
Now who is there, pray, possessed of understanding, that will regard the statement as appropriate, that the first day, and the second, and the third, in which also both evening and morning are mentioned, existed without sun, and moon, and stars--the first day even without a sky? And who is found so ignorant as to suppose that God, as if He had been a husbandman, planted trees in paradise, in Eden towards the east, and a tree of life in it, i.e., a visible and palpable tree of wood, so that any one eating of it with bodily teeth should obtain life, and, eating again of another tree, should come to the knowledge of good and evil? No one, I think, can doubt that the statement that God walked in the afternoon in paradise, and that Adam lay hid under a tree, is related figuratively in Scripture, that some mystical meaning may be indicated by it.
Origen de Principiis
If you look at the passage you just quoted, Origen isn't saying there is a figurative meaning as well as a literal, he is saying it only appears to refer to Adam as an individual, what Moses was talking about was mankind in general.

Ok, you have a quote and this irrelevant discussion of the context of the quote I used. That's not an argument, I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish but here is the quote again:
EVERYONE in the world FALLS PROSTRATE under SIN. And it is the Lord who sets up those who are cast down and who sustains all who are falling [Psalm 145:14]. IN ADAM ALL DIE, and THUS the world FALLS PROSTRATE and requires to be SET UP AGAIN, so that in Christ all may be made to live [1 Cor 15:22]. (ORIGEN c. 244 AD Homilies on Jeremias 8:1)
Then the opening statement from your brief and superficial treatment of the subject matter:
Your passage is actually Origen's interpretation of Jeremiah 10:12
Yes, the context of the statement regards Jeremiah, that much is true on the surface. When Origen is talking about Adam he has 1 Cor 15:22 in mind.
The issue isn't that Origen was referring to 1Cor 15:22, it is how he was interpreting it. If Origen is interpreting Adam as the earth to fit the Jeremiah quote ("for it is written regarding Adam, You are earth"), then he is not talking about us all dying in Adam the individual, but everyone in the whole earth (Adam) dying.

He also comments on Romans 5:9:
The Church received from the Apostles the tradition of giving Baptism EVEN TO INFANTS. For the Apostles, to whom were committed the secrets of divine mysteries, knew that there is in everyone the INNATE STAINS OF SIN, which must be WASHED AWAY through water and the Spirit [cf. John 3:5; Acts 2:38]. (Commentaries on Romans 5:9)​
You need to watch out for anachronisms, reading Augustine's doctrine of inherited guilt from Adam back into Origen, a writer two centuries before.

Like any Christian scholar he will have cross references and his treatment of Adam in the New Testament is not that Adam is figurative, as you have so erroneously maintained. Origen was an idealist and argued with skeptics. He warned against taking things too literally because it makes you very rigid when dealing with skeptics, which by the way, does not dismiss the literal interpretation.
Origen though some literal interpretations were simply ignorant. With Paul's statement that Adam is a figure of Christ Rom 5:14, you would need to show my interpretation is erroneous rather than just claiming it, and you would need to show Origen didn't interpret Adam that way.

What he is saying is even if you don't regard the narrative as a genuine historical event, does that diminish the philosophical meaning? His purpose is not to make a sound exposition of the Genesis account, it's certainly not an exegesis of the I Cor. 15 or Romans 5 passages. What he is saying that when you look at an alternative understanding of the text, apart from the literal interpretation, you can see the philosophical aspect.

I'm not chasing this around the mulberry bush with you. If you have a serious argument then make it. Otherwise my original point stands, the error is that Phillis has made a straw man argument.

Have a nice day :}
Mark
I would need to see the original argument Philis is referring to to know if it was a straw man or not, but I was replying to your response to her first point, that the church fathers had different interpretations of the creation account. Pointing out literal interpretations of Adam and the fall does not take from the figurative interpretation of the creation days and even if figurative interpretations of Adam were rarer than for the creation days, we still have at least one church father, Origen who interpreted him figuratively.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You need to realise the while Origen believed in a three-fold interpretation, he did not think every passage had each of the three meanings. Sometimes the literal meaning was simply not what the passage meant. Origen could be quite scathing towards people trying to take figurative passages in Genesis literally.

I'm well aware of the three-fold interpretation approach thanks.

5.1.31 Regarding Rom 5:12-14 For that tyrant, who is called death, was exercising dominion from Adam, who was the first to give entrance to him by his own collusion, so that he could pass through to all men....

5.5.9 “So then Adam offered sinners a model thorough his disobedience; but Christ, in contrast, gave the righteous a model by his obedience..... It is also on this account that he “became obedient unto death,” (Phil 2:8) in order that those who follow the example of his obedience might be made righteous by righteousness itself, just as those others were made sinners by following the model of Adam's disobedience.”​

Notes on Origen on Romans

He is not talking about humanity, he is talking about the person, Adam. This is the proper way to speak of Adam in a New Testament context and the context of the creation account. When dealing with skeptics he simply suggested that you dismiss their objections but emphasizing the philosophical aspects. Your right, he had no problem with a figurative interpretation but clearly he regarded Adam as the first parent of humanity and the originator of sin in the human context.

Now who is there, pray, possessed of understanding, that will regard the statement as appropriate, that the first day, and the second, and the third, in which also both evening and morning are mentioned, existed without sun, and moon, and stars--the first day even without a sky? And who is found so ignorant as to suppose that God, as if He had been a husbandman, planted trees in paradise, in Eden towards the east, and a tree of life in it, i.e., a visible and palpable tree of wood, so that any one eating of it with bodily teeth should obtain life, and, eating again of another tree, should come to the knowledge of good and evil? No one, I think, can doubt that the statement that God walked in the afternoon in paradise, and that Adam lay hid under a tree, is related figuratively in Scripture, that some mystical meaning may be indicated by it.
Origen de Principiis

That's just not how the passage reads, there was a sky, it was just dark. The progression of the narrative is from the surface of the earth and whatever interpretation you take hold of there is only one real doctrinal issue. Sin.

]If you look at the passage you just quoted, Origen isn't saying there is a figurative meaning as well as a literal, he is saying it only appears to refer to Adam as an individual, what Moses was talking about was mankind in general.

What he is saying is that there is a deeper meaning, that's exactly what he is saying. He is not making the figurative and literal meaning mutually exclusive but is instead looking into the mysteries associated. No, he didn't favor a rigid literal interpretation but he wasn't sold out to a figurative reading of the text either.

The issue isn't that Origen was referring to 1Cor 15:22, it is how he was interpreting it. If Origen is interpreting Adam as the earth to fit the Jeremiah quote ("for it is written regarding Adam, You are earth"), then he is not talking about us all dying in Adam the individual, but everyone in the whole earth (Adam) dying.

This is the quote and it's self-explanatory:

IN ADAM ALL DIE, and THUS the world FALLS PROSTRATE and requires to be SET UP AGAIN, so that in Christ all may be made to live [1 Cor 15:22]. (Homilies on Jeremias 8:1)​

You need to watch out for anachronisms, reading Augustine's doctrine of inherited guilt from Adam back into Origen, a writer two centuries before.

It was not invented by Augustine, it's a Pauline doctrine from Romans 5 and I Corinthians 15 and Genesis 3. There is nothing dated about the narrative and if you don't want to believe it that's your business but it's what the Scriptures say and the ECF believed. Rationalize it anyway you like, original sin is a New Testament doctrine and the eight times Adam is mentioned in the New Testament it refers to Adam, the first parent of humanity.

I'm not arguing with you in circles again over this, if you don't believe it I really don't care but I don't need you to tell me what the Scriptures teach or what the ECF taught. You have proven unreliable in the past with nearly perfect consistency.

Origen though some literal interpretations were simply ignorant. With Paul's statement that Adam is a figure of Christ Rom 5:14, you would need to show my interpretation is erroneous rather than just claiming it, and you would need to show Origen didn't interpret Adam that way.

I need to do nothing of the sort. Origen speaks of Adam as the first parent of humanity and the source of original sin. Yes, he entertained the figurative approach and that's his prerogative but clearly he took Adam literally.

I would need to see the original argument Philis is referring to to know if it was a straw man or not, but I was replying to your response to her first point, that the church fathers had different interpretations of the creation account. Pointing out literal interpretations of Adam and the fall does not take from the figurative interpretation of the creation days and even if figurative interpretations of Adam were rarer than for the creation days, we still have at least one church father, Origen who interpreted him figuratively.

You keep telling me what I need to do as if simply not believing the Genesis account of creation makes you some kind of an authority. Philis is using a strawman argument, that is the error in the argument. She is making a straw man argument that you are defending by begging the question of proof.

I don't know where you get the nerve to pontificate to me as if I were subservient to you or somehow less informed. The TEs on here are blatant in their fallacious arguments and consumed with their own private interpretations that are contrary to the clear testimony of Moses and Paul on this matter.

Origen took Adam literally because Paul did, it's as simple as that. When dealing with skeptics he complained that the room for a figurative interpretation is never made. Yes, he warned against a rigid literalism that he regarded as ignorant but with regards to the sin of Adam he is not speaking of him as a figure of humanity. He is speaking of him as the Scriptures present him, the first parent of humanity.

I'm dizzy chasing this one for the umpteenth time around the mulberry bush. Thanks for the exchange, if you get some fresh material let me know.

Have a nice day :wave:
Mark

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
hi Mr. Dave,

Just so you know that position isn't correct according to the physical definition of the time of a day. A day is one rotation of the planet earth, or any planet, upon its axis, period. There is no need of sun or moon or any other heavenly body in all of the universe in order for the time of a day to pass upon the earth. All that is necessary is that the earth is, and it is spinning. Feel free to look up how the length of a day is determined in the EB (encyclopia britannica) or any other qualified teacher.

God bless you.
IN Christ, Ted

Hi Ted, I am completely aware of that. Don't worry I'm not a geocentric or anything like that. This was how Philo understood a day though, and even today, because of how we see things relatively, we talk of the sun rising and setting, even though it never moves.

My point was that someone suggested that all the ancients read Genesis literally. That statement is untrue, Philo being an example of a 1st century Jew who had no problem in saying that it was foolish to read Genesis literally; even with a more correct understanding of the motion of the planets, his argument is the same. When Jesus was alive it was an acceptable position to hold to that the creation account is not an historical account of how the world came to be but a story conveying greater truths within the style of a narrative.

Upvote 0

renewed21

what are you waiting for?
Apr 5, 2012
at my house
✟6,374.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I don't see anything wrong with it. Some folks don't what to be challanged. But as for myself, i would welcome any "challange" of my believes because of my strong convictions.

In that context, Person B does not or cannot fully stand behind or support his beliefs. But, that mentality is the norm, not the exception. Thanks.

Upvote 0