Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What are your thoughts on atheists being "spiritual" or attempting to be "spiritual"? On this sub-forum I have heard of talk about atheist pagans, and I'd like to learn more in an attempt to understand that framework.

From my own perspective I was once a theist who was hyper spiritual, and I find the loss of my theism to be greatly saddening and troubling. My own ideas of what spirituality is regarding a more natural/psychological understanding largely has to do with empathy, and from the math I cannot see how I as an atheist will ever come up with a type of atheist "spirituality" that wouldn't be a mere hand-me-down version of the excellent spirituality I had as a theist.

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What are your thoughts on atheists being "spiritual" or attempting to be "spiritual"? On this sub-forum I have heard of talk about atheist pagans, and I'd like to learn more in an attempt to understand that framework.

From my own perspective I was once a theist who was hyper spiritual, and I find the loss of my theism to be greatly saddening and troubling. My own ideas of what spirituality is regarding a more natural/psychological understanding largely has to do with empathy, and from the math I cannot see how I as an atheist will ever come up with a type of atheist "spirituality" that wouldn't be a mere hand-me-down version of the excellent spirituality I had as a theist.

In every case where I've heard someone claim to be "spiritual" it has been in the context of being asked if they are religious. "I'm not religious but I'm very spiritual". No further explanation of spiritual is given. It seems the answer is given to avoid the stigma of identifying as an atheist.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It sounds phony like a necessity to have benefits from spiritualism without believing in it. Like those "atheist Christians" or "atheist Buddhists".

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In every case where I've heard someone claim to be "spiritual" it has been in the context of being asked if they are religious. "I'm not religious but I'm very spiritual". No further explanation of spiritual is given. It seems the answer is given to avoid the stigma of identifying as an atheist.

That's a shame.. seems like it's mostly the older generations that give me back lash when I they find out I'm an atheist. Silly really, lol.

To me religion is more the structure and rules and spirituality is the emotional guts.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It sounds phony like a necessity to have benefits from spiritualism without believing in it. Like those "atheist Christians" or "atheist Buddhists".

Certainly feel phony. Still, I've managed to resurrect some powerful feelings I had as a Christian. Sadly it only last a little while, and it feels very strange and kind of icky.

• Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's a shame.. seems like it's mostly the older generations that give me back lash when I they find out I'm an atheist. Silly really, lol.

To me religion is more the structure and rules and spirituality is the emotional guts.

I view my own religion as an outlet for spirituality. To be spiritual I suppose you need a spirit. The Divine Liturgy is like a workout for the spirit.

• Agree
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
"For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside?" basically sums it up.

On a social level I find the "spiritual but not religious" thing silly, but meh. A lot people who are Christians claim to dislike and/or not follow a "religion", either. Maybe these two types of people can be good friends and leave the rest of us alone. :p

• Agree
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside?" basically sums it up.

On a social level I find the "spiritual but not religious" thing silly, but meh. A lot people who are Christians claim to dislike and/or not follow a "religion", either. Maybe these two types of people can be good friends and leave the rest of us alone. :p
I remember a thread of someone saying he was glad to not be part of a religion. :sigh:

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I don't think so, structure and ground rules are pretty important for spiritual output. Not sure how much I'd have to talk with a wishy washy Christian.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

From what I've heard of atheist Christians, they don't get anything spiritual out of it they just like the philosophy of Christ. Buddhism seems even more built for that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I remember a thread of someone saying he was glad to not be part of a religion. :sigh:
Why the sigh David?

If you have no reason to believe in god(s) then why would you want be part of a religion?

I know that many Christians have difficulty understanding non-belief. I have a similar problem when it comes to understanding why Christians believe.

And for the record - as far as I know I've never been spiritual. I'm not even sure what being 'spiritual' means.
OB

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

We all have a spirit,
spirit/Ruach is the emotional self and "personality".

It is a part of the souls makeup,

The human soul has five names/levels/dimensions,
soul,
spirit,
breath,
life,
singularity,

Could well be you are referring to "Godly soul".

Our Sages speak of two distinct souls that vitalize a human being.

The animal soul is driven by the quest for self-preservation and self-enhancement,
resembling the soul and self of all the other creations.

Godly soul, a soul driven by the desire to reconnect with it,s Source.

It is a struggle between these two souls.

Trying to reconcile our physical needs and desires with our spiritual aspirations.

Seems like your Godly soul is yearning for home?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why the sigh David?

If you have no reason to believe in god(s) then why would you want be part of a religion?

I know that many Christians have difficulty understanding non-belief. I have a similar problem when it comes to understanding why Christians believe.

And for the record - as far as I know I've never been spiritual. I'm not even sure what being 'spiritual' means.
OB
The thing is that he is a Christian who doesn't believe in religion.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

The atheist pagan I knew described it as a reverence of nature without the belief in any deity.
I would suspect such spirituality comes from being more consciously aware of nature. Spend time outdoors, identify and learn about the species of plants and animals around you. Become an armchair biologist. Connect with something outside of your bubble that's larger than yourself even if it's just a walk around a lake.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The atheist pagan I knew described it as a reverence of nature without the belief in any deity.
I would suspect such spirituality comes from being more consciously aware of nature. Spend time outdoors, identify and learn about the species of plants and animals around you. Become an armchair biologist. Connect with something outside of your bubble that's larger than yourself even if it's just a walk around a lake.

Why does he feel the need to attach the label "pagan" to that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
The thing is that he is a Christian who doesn't believe in religion.

OK - I misunderstood you. In the context of the thread I thought you were talking about a non-believer.

Christians who claim not to belong to a 'religion' is a fairly common trope around here. I suspect they really mean that they don't belong to a mainstream denomination.
OB

• Friendly
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,924.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I would suspect such spirituality comes from being more consciously aware of nature. Spend time outdoors, identify and learn about the species of plants and animals around you.
I'd add that being aware of nature as a life force in and of itself can be a very spiritual experience.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not sure. Maybe because our pagan group was happy to accept him.

Aw, that's nice.

As for me, I never knew what to call myself. Personally I don't like using the "spiritual" label as an atheist, but I do try to psychological recreate spiritual feelings and try to create an aesthetic around that. I borrow very heavily from my Christian upbringing.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's ok to realize that there is something "more" and when you do, pursuing the "more" is a natural reaction. Obviously, I believe what I believe, but I think seeking is wiser than denying what you know in your heart.

I think most people know there is more. It's just easier to say you don't believe in anything than to figure out what you believe or to have to express it; especially if you aren't quite sure. ;)

Upvote 0