spiritual gifts, do they exist in todays Christianity?

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Of course not! Even if everyone else is a liar, God is true. As the Scriptures say about him,
You will be proved right in what you say, and you will win your case in court".

Romans 3:4
NLT

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Hebrews 13:8
NLT

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually, C would be a horrible answer because it asserts that the gifts stopped in contradiction to what the Bible teaches
Yes, but that seems to be your answer, even if you don't claim it outright. You say that the gifts haven't ceased -- because of your own interpretation of scripture -- even though they did cease. I'd say that it's much more likely that your interpretation of scripture is in error than that most of the time since Christ mankind has been living in some sort of dream world where what's going on is not what's really going on but just some sort of illusion.

I can see how you wanting me to accept that answer is so tantalizing. Can I accept that as your answer? Please?
I don't know what you're getting at here. I don't really care if you sign on the dotted line or anything like that. I just was interested to know how you'd explain saying that gifts haven't ceased although they have. I think you've explained that now.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
same[/B] yesterday, today, and forever.

Hebrews 13:8
NLT

Christ is indeed the same, but God's course of action certainly is not unchanging throughout time. Any reading of the Bible should provide plenty of examples of God altering the course of events.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well that's convenient, any gift that can't be obscured is no longer active. The others can all be faked.

It is just how it is in my opinion. People who focus so much on spiritual gifts tend to focus on the ones I view as no longer active. it is funny how they don't view the other ones as important. The lack of being able to showboat and wow people?

The ones I list as active are important, far more important to the stability of the church, and in their subtle existence, bring more people to Christ than the now defunct ones. It seems like such a demand or expectation of those signs seem to create "God is a magic Genie" type of Christian, and when the "miracles" dry up; what of the congregations spiritual well being? How many will walk away from the church if they quit seeing these signs they expect?

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been going to a Men's Bible Study on Saturday mornings for many years. I am ever so thankful for my fellow brothers in Christ. Several years ago the question was asked from brothers in Christ (who believe in partial and/or complete cessation of the spiritual gifts). The question was as follows: "Why do those of you that believe the spiritual gifts (are alive and active) interpret God's Word by what you observe and experience?

Immediately, my fellow brothers in Christ (that believe all the gifts are active) asked our fellow brothers in Christ ((who believe in partial and/or complete cessation of the spiritual gifts) the following question: "Why do you interpret God's Word by what you have not observed and/or experienced?

Following, finding some humor in our questions; my fellow brothers in Christ chose to have unity over being disciples of Jesus Christ, though we may not agree on all things we are commanded to love one another.

"Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for the brethren to dwell in unity!"

Psalm 133:1
KJV

"Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves".

Romans 12:10
NIV

"All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and He gives them to each one, just as He determines".

I Corinthians 12:11
NIV

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever".

Hebrews 12:8
NIV

Amen and Amen.

Upvote 0

AustinMiles89

Jun 18, 2014
Williams Az.
Visit site
✟15,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Holy Spirit is as powerful today as it was in the book of Acts.
However the "church" is a shadow of its former self.

a letter from Christ written to the church in Sardis, a prophetic word to our church today.

Revelation 3 Amplified Bible (AMP)

3 And to the angel (messenger) of the assembly (church) in Sardis write: These are the words of Him Who has the seven Spirits of God [[a]the sevenfold Holy Spirit] and the seven stars: I know your record and what you are doing; you are supposed to be alive, but [in reality] you are dead.
2 Rouse yourselves and keep awake, and strengthen and invigorate what remains and is on the point of dying; for I have not found a thing that you have done [any work of yours] meeting the requirements of My God or perfect in His sight.
3 So call to mind the lessons you received and heard; continually lay them to heart and obey them, and repent. In case you will not rouse yourselves and keep awake and watch, I will come upon you like a thief, and you will not know or suspect at what hour I will come.
4 Yet you still have a few [persons’] names in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes, and they shall walk with Me in white, because they are worthy and deserving.
5 Thus shall he who conquers (is victorious) be clad in white garments, and I will not erase or blot out his name from the Book of Life; I will acknowledge him [as Mine] and I will confess his name openly before My Father and before His angels.
6 He who is able to hear, let him listen to and heed what the [Holy] Spirit says to the assemblies (churches).

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit is as powerful today as it was in the book of Acts.
However the "church" is a shadow of its former self.

Amen and Amen. In my humble opinion this fact is especially prominent in the "western world" mindset.

In my humble opinion, it's never about seeking the gifts but rather seeking Him with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I try to not quench the spirit , I speak in tongues, anoint with oil, and I believe healing is for today.
Jesus taught the apostles to heal, and He also said that the signs shall follow them that believe.

Amen and Amen!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bloodbought09

Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
united states
✟10,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of the verses that helped me understand that the charisma was for us today is

1 Cor.1:7 Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed.

The verse in 1 Cor.13 that talks about these gifts ceasing to me clearly applies to when Jesus has taken us to heaven not while we are hear on earth. That which is perfect would be Jesus not the apostles dying.

Romans 1:11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;

1 Corinthians 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as He will.

Romans 12:6 Gifts according to grace. If we have received grace we have also received spiritual gifts.

Upvote 0