MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My dearest joy in Christ: Christ is Risen!

I am currently reading Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos' book THE ILLNESS AND CURE OF THE SOUL IN THE ORTHODOX TRADITION. He has written many other books on spiritual direction. Reading Kyriacos Markides new book, THE MOUNTAIN OF SILENCE, was a great introduction to spirituality and it should be a prerequisite to reading Metropolitan Hierotheos' books.

Even Roman Catholics can benefit from reading these books as they deal with the three stages of the spiritual life taught by many Roman Catholic Saints: purification, illumination, and theosis (being made into the very image and likeness of God). Coming from a Roman Catholic background, I can say that there seems to be nothing contrary to the Catholic faith in these books. Protestants may become confused as this subject is not in their tradition, except for high Episcopalians.

Holy Confession and the reception of the Holy Mysteries (sacraments) help us to attain theosis or deification. The whole purpose of the Church is to celebrate the Eucharist so that Christ will be in our midst. The Church is therefore a school of sanctify and hospital for sick souls. Isn't this what the original word "psychotherapy" means? - the cure of the soul.

To be deified we need to carefully choose a good spiritual father who can guide us, as the Church existed before psychiatry and psychology were even invented.

If we sincerely desire to be purified and illuminated on this earth, then we have to practice sobriety and continually pray the Jesus Prayer to cleanse our nous and learn to avoid logismoi. We must keep our eyes focused on Christ alone.

Do you know what the nous is? Really I do not. Logismoi are explained in The Mountain of Silence, but it seems mysterious to me. Someone told me that only monks deal with logismoi, is that correct? Aren't we all called to holiness?

Your sister in Christ our God,

Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.