Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When Going to Church is Sin
by Randy Woodley

The pastor arrived early for the Wednesday night prayer meeting. As often the case, there would be the regular faithful few and possibly a visitor or two. The pastor began his regular routine of praying over every seat. He prayed that each person would hear from God and leave knowing Him better. He prayed that there would be healing in peoples' bodies and hearts and that he and everyone present would be changed for God’s glory and that the Holy Spirit would make His presence known. Above all he prayed that Jesus Christ would be honored.

As the people began to enter the church he welcomed them with a hug or handshake. They began with the familiar words of the chorus, “God you are great and we are small - thank you for your mercy.” After the opening song and welcome the pastor prayed a prayer of thanksgiving and asked anyone else who felt led to pray to please join in. Everyone present prayed with fervor and one visitor prayed silently. Several worship songs followed and finally it came to a time of sharing.

At least half of the people present shared at a deep level. One woman told how grateful she was to be in church after serving a prison term and through weeping eyes expressed her gratefulness to God for His great deliverance. Another woman asked for prayers for her wayward teenager. One of the men needed work and asked the congregation to remember him though he did not profess Christianity. Every so often someone spontaneously broke out in a song or prayer.

After everyone who wanted had the opportunity to pray the pastor dismissed the meeting. It had gone longer than usual but no one minded. They had made contact with God and His Holy Spirit filled their hearts. Many had come discouraged but now there was a renewed hope. They all hugged after the meeting then they shared a pot luck meal together and went home.

This sounds like a wonderful, spirit-filled church. I suppose many people do judge to quickly based on outward appearances, when what really matters is the inside. If I came to a church meeting that was like this, I would not condemn it. I have been to a youth meeting in my area that was full of Goths and very creepy people, and some people would condemn it (and I did at the start) but I kept examining what was happening in this meeting and God spoke to me through the preaching and the songs. It turned out that these meetings were doing a lot of good for the people who came. All the Goths heard the Gospel through these meetings. I learned there that although something may look scary and strange at first glance, we should examine it further to see how it truly is. We shouldn't judge on outside appearances. If I had in my case, If I had, I would have missed a great blessing. So, just a reminder,

DON'T JUDGE ON OUTWARD APPEARANCES!
JUDGE ON THE HEART!

Thanks for making this group spiritwinds. Even though I'm not an indian, there are things I can learn from your stories and posts.

Upvote 0

aaronibus62

Mar 22, 2006
Brockton, MA USA
✟12,437.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, everyone!

I'm Aaron from the Boston area, from an area that was once part of Wampanoag territory.
My wife Chris hails from West Virginia and says she's part Native but isn't sure if she's
Mingo/Seneca or Cherokee. Both peoples inhabited WV at different times in history.

God bless you all :wave:

Upvote 0

spiritwinds

Apr 25, 2007
✟8,694.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, everyone!

I'm Aaron from the Boston area, from an area that was once part of Wampanoag territory.
My wife Chris hails from West Virginia and says she's part Native but isn't sure if she's
Mingo/Seneca or Cherokee. Both peoples inhabited WV at different times in history.

God bless you all :wave:

Welcome to Spirit Winds NDN Fellowship​

181212dtlczosj04.gif

Upvote 0

spiritwinds

Apr 25, 2007
✟8,694.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This path I walk of heartache and sorrow is not simply a path leading me to witness to indigenous peoples. It is a spiritual path that coerces me to confront my own anger and animosity toward the white man for his numerous past atrocities against the American Indians. I tell my beloved that I have two souls - one of the Indian and the other of the white man - and the two are constantly battling against one another for my loyality. My heart is just as divided as my soul. Many times I have tried to "kill the Indian and save the man," and other times I have tried to kill the man and save the Indian. And other times, I have tried desperately to free myself from being a prisoner to this inner battle. This is a battle that I have been unable to flee. Right now, there is no inner peace in my heart or soul. I have been unable to reconcile the pain and sorrow I feel with who God created me to be. And I know that is why He has led me right back to this path. I am like Jonah and more times than I can count, I find myself in the belly of a big fish. And that is where I am spiritually now.

God has given me a burning consuming fire of compassion in my heart for all NDNs, their culture, their way of life, and for their eternal souls. But there have been many Christians who have tried to stomp that fire out, stomping all over my heart and spirit in the process. My will and desire to follow the path that God called me to has been stifled more than once since He first called me. And there have been times (more than I can count) when I was the one doing the stomping on the fire. But God in His faithfulness and usual gentleness has led me back to this path, and I, being drawn to its purpose, willingly followed. I could not resist His calling, although I knew I would have to face the heartache, the sorrow, the pain, the cruel criticism and heartless ridicule that comes along with it. But all of this is overshadowed by God's grace and faithfulness. And I do find comfort in knowing that I do not walk this path alone. I can see how the Lord has placed certain people on this path who have (knowingly or unknowingly) given me a hand up when I so desperately needed it. I know in time that I will be made whole and I will fulfill the calling of God on my life. I will preserve my NDN heritage and pass it along to my children and to my grandchildren. I will leave a Godly legacy for them to follow. But until then I will remain faithful to the Lord and to His calling.

Spirit Winds

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This path I walk of heartache and sorrow is not simply a path leading me to witness to indigenous peoples. It is a spiritual path that coerces me to confront my own anger and animosity toward the white man for his numerous past atrocities against the American Indians. I tell my beloved that I have two souls - one of the Indian and the other of the white man - and the two are constantly battling against one another for my loyality. My heart is just as divided as my soul. Many times I have tried to "kill the Indian and save the man," and other times I have tried to kill the man and save the Indian. And other times, I have tried desperately to free myself from being a prisoner to this inner battle. This is a battle that I have been unable to flee. Right now, there is no inner peace in my heart or soul. I have been unable to reconcile the pain and sorrow I feel with who God created me to be. And I know that is why He has led me right back to this path. I am like Jonah and more times than I can count, I find myself in the belly of a big fish. And that is where I am spiritually now.

God has given me a burning consuming fire of compassion in my heart for all NDNs, their culture, their way of life, and for their eternal souls. But there have been many Christians who have tried to stomp that fire out, stomping all over my heart and spirit in the process. My will and desire to follow the path that God called me to has been stifled more than once since He first called me. And there have been times (more than I can count) when I was the one doing the stomping on the fire. But God in His faithfulness and usual gentleness has led me back to this path, and I, being drawn to its purpose, willingly followed. I could not resist His calling, although I knew I would have to face the heartache, the sorrow, the pain, the cruel criticism and heartless ridicule that comes along with it. But all of this is overshadowed by God's grace and faithfulness. And I do find comfort in knowing that I do not walk this path alone. I can see how the Lord has placed certain people on this path who have (knowingly or unknowingly) given me a hand up when I so desperately needed it. I know in time that I will be made whole and I will fulfill the calling of God on my life. I will preserve my NDN heritage and pass it along to my children and to my grandchildren. I will leave a Godly legacy for them to follow. But until then I will remain faithful to the Lord and to His calling.

Spirit Winds
Praying for you, sister.
Your compassion comes from God - He too weeps at the way His children treat one another.
All we can do is seek to share His heart, and speak His words.

May He fill you with His peace and bless you.
:hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

4Everloved

Legend
Apr 18, 2007
Tennessee, USA
✟36,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I do not feel led to join, but I WILL be dropping by from time to time to read and meditate upon what you are posting!

This is marvelous, spiritwinds, and much needed. I know the Holy Spirit has directed you in this.

Be blessed, my sister.:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.